Who do we keep?

• We had an issue with background services between march 10th and 15th or there about. This meant the payment services were not linking to automatic upgrades. If you paid for premium membership and are still seeing ads please let me know and the email you used against PayPal and I cam manually verify and upgrade your account.

swoop

Bencher
Tipping Member
2018 Gains: Jack Gosiewski (Rabbitohs), Toafofoa Sipley (Warriors), Lachlan Croker (Raiders), Joel Thompson (Dragons), Moses Suli (Bulldogs)

2018 Losses: Brenton Lawrence (Titans/retired), Blake Green (Warriors), Cameron Cullen (Redcliffe), Pita Godinet (Tigers), Billy Bainbridge (unsigned)

Off contract: Cade Cust, Jackson Hastings, Jack Gosiewski, Lewis Brown, Lachlan Croker, Brian Kelly, Shaun Lane, Akuila Uate, Jonathan Wright, Moses Suli

Coach: Trent Barrett (signed until 2020)

New deal: Tom Wright (until 2019), Curtis Sironen (until 2021), Apisai Koroisau (until 2021)

Brian Kelly, Shaun Lane and Suli are keeps.

For the right price, and that is the key factor, i have no problem holding onto Uate

Many won't agree, he had a poor few weeks with his hands, but even through all that he didn't go into his shell at all and kept trying harder and harder, which is the attitude I like

He takes the tough carries, hits them up with venom, gets our sets started well from our own end, and if you create an opportunity for him he still takes it 99 times out of 100

Gos, Lane, Kelly and Suli are no brainers in the keep department. I'd keep Croker on as well at the right price, he wasn't going as badly as made out, extremely strong defender for a half, and unfortunately for him in the game he got injured he was looking the best he had looked all season. Could do a lot worse than having a guy like him in reserves to cover injuries

For the right price, and that is the key factor, i have no problem holding onto Uate

Many won't agree, he had a poor few weeks with his hands, but even through all that he didn't go into his shell at all and kept trying harder and harder, which is the attitude I like

He takes the tough carries, hits them up with venom, gets our sets started well from our own end, and if you create an opportunity for him he still takes it 99 times out of 100

Gos, Lane, Kelly and Suli are no brainers in the keep department. I'd keep Croker on as well at the right price, he wasn't going as badly as made out, extremely strong defender for a half, and unfortunately for him in the game he got injured he was looking the best he had looked all season. Could do a lot worse than having a guy like him in reserves to cover injuries
Spot on champ, I agree with everything in your post

I like him at about 150k. We have 2 FAST kids and Suli that need to fight over his wing spot next year. We will lose Ando and T Wright if they don't get a real shot at FG here real soon.

No way will we keep Hastings. He was on the way out anyway, but the fact that we have now signed Hodko means that Jacko is basically surplus. Even before this week the only way he was going to play first grade was if he was one of only 17 fit players, or Cherry got injured and we needed a halfback. And even then I could see Barrett going with Api and playing Brown at hooker. With Hodko returning to the club, Hastings isn't really needed anymore which was I think the whole point. He'll probably be gone if we can do it before the 30 June deadline.

Croker.....interesting. Sure he wasn't what we needed from a 5/8, but as @Kiwi Eagle said he showed in his injury game that he was starting to make progress, and his defence wasn't that bad. He could be a handy backup should he be needed. At the very least he has some NRL experience.

I think Cust will be offered a first grade contract as well.

Lane is already being offered a contract extension. Barrett moving him to prop (though obviously he can still play back row) has been one of the few positive coaching moves he's done in his two and a bit years. Playing in the middle means Lane has nowhere to hide and be lazy and it seems to have done him the world of good.

Kelly obviously, as well as Suli and Jetski I would keep.

I think Aku will be gone regardless of any improved form. Salary cap pressure will do that. And I think with Suli, Parker, Tom Wright and possibly Anderson we can cover the wing.

Lewis Brown won't be back and neither will Jono Wright or Matt Wright. And I am guessing Winterstein will also be gone at the end of the year if we can find someone willing to take him (possibly the SL)

Croker is an interesting one. We don’t have a lot of 5/8 depth from what I can see so unless we go to market then we may have to extend him. The only issue is how he comes back from another acl. I think he definitely has some potential, he got hammered on here because he didn’t hold DCE’s hand quite the way he likes it - it’s all about where you start the fingers intertwining and Daly likes to have his little finger on the outside.

Unfortunately because we got blackmailed into taking hodkinson for 18 months then I’m not sure whether that leaves much opportunity for froggy next season.

I thought so as well - SMH have an article today with him off contract and the Tigers making a play for him as Manly will struggle to retain him.
Many here won't agree ,but I would be making sure we kept Kelly over the show pony Walker.I do not get all the love here. Realise he is still recovering this year ,but showed nothing last year either.Its been 2 years since we've seen his blinding speed,all I see is sideways running.
Should call him Dylan crab walker.....Love to be proven wrong ,and see him hit holes at mach speed again,prove me wrong champ.

Team P W L PD Pts
7 6 1 99 14
7 6 1 54 14
7 5 2 36 12
8 5 2 39 11
8 5 3 64 10
7 4 3 49 10
8 4 4 73 8
7 3 4 17 8
8 4 4 -14 8
8 4 4 -16 8
8 4 4 -60 8