Who do you want as our major sponsor next year?

• We had an issue with background services between march 10th and 15th or there about. This meant the payment services were not linking to automatic upgrades. If you paid for premium membership and are still seeing ads please let me know and the email you used against PayPal and I cam manually verify and upgrade your account.
On a serious note, I've always thought Rip Curl, or Quicksilver would be appropriate (not sure on their capacity to pay though). Would certainly be a great way to invigorate their brand.

Wonder of we could get a Russian Investor like Abramovich if Kelly has ANY contacts at all? LOL. Imagine that. Don't think Money would be a problem.

On the rich investor point, There has been a lot of talk on the ability of souths and rorters to offer players 3rd party agreements as apposed to teams like us. I'm a bit confused by this what gives them more of an ability to do this? Is it that they attract more sponsors? and if so, why is that?

The AFL, the NRL "leadership" want to become the AFL so lets get on board. Maybe then we will get a fair go

On the rich investor point, There has been a lot of talk on the ability of souths and rorters to offer players 3rd party agreements as apposed to teams like us. I'm a bit confused by this what gives them more of an ability to do this? Is it that they attract more sponsors? and if so, why is that?

Simple: You scratch my back, I will scratch yours.

Hey mate, can you sponsor player X for 500K a year, I can pay you back through helping out you charity/buying shares in your company etc etc.

Hey mate, can you sponsor player X for 500K a year, I can pay you back through helping out you charity/buying shares in your company etc etc.
Are there any accountants that can answer this? Could Crown, who are Souths major sponsors, set up SPV's or charitable trusts or something with income being a cash invested from the parent which then goes out as a third party payment to the player, so the net position is $0? Or does that stuff arms length type regulations? Dunno, but I don't think the NRL delves too deeply into third party payments and as Brisbane showed, you can shut down an investigation by just not talking which is a disgrace.

Personally I think there should be ZERO third party payments. Just have a cap, everyone is paid by the club and their full salary goes against the cap, but how the club get their money to pay the players, whether through their own revenue or third party donations, that's there business. That though levels the playing field a lot more and makes it 100% more transparent than the bull**** we have now...

Or perhaps buying a few houses in the UK if you were a team that had a family of 1st grade English players.
Not saying that this would ever happen. ;)

Last edited:
The whole third party thing is BS. Supposedly, third party deals are completely independent of the club, but the deals are dependent on the players playing for that club o_O, ie if the player leaves the club, the third party deal expires.

Makes about as much sense as the NRL financially backing a club which competes in it's own competition, which would never happen....right???

and the thoroughbreds are not gaining anything by sponsoring players through 3rd party deals, they are just regular fans like you and I. We all have access to the entire club, dressing sheds, chairmans lounge etc whenever we want.....

That all sounds very unethical and i would say not far off the mark. But there are also 3rd party agreements which are very much out in the open. For instance there were media reports that a 3rd party agreement allowed parra to offer a substantially larger amount than us for foz. Is it a lack of marketability that is hindering manly from finding these 3rd party agreements? They seem to be the difference between the successful and not so successful teams in the NRL so I'm interested to get to the bottom of them and get a full understanding.

How about we get Mike Baird and the recently reelected State Liberal party. That way he might be able to get us locked in with the State Electricity Commission and then sell us off to some Chines conglomerate or as they say in China State Owned Enterprise. Then we might be owned by the Chines governments and our supported based will increase to the billions.

That all sounds very unethical and i would say not far off the mark. But there are also 3rd party agreements which are very much out in the open. For instance there were media reports that a 3rd party agreement allowed parra to offer a substantially larger amount than us for foz. Is it a lack of marketability that is hindering manly from finding these 3rd party agreements? They seem to be the difference between the successful and not so successful teams in the NRL so I'm interested to get to the bottom of them and get a full understanding.
We have had ten years of finals footy - we are/were the benchmark of success over the last 50 years! If ownership can't parlay that into sponsorship dollars and third party deals we're all ****ed...

We have had ten years of finals footy - we are/were the benchmark of success over the last 50 years! If ownership can't parlay that into sponsorship dollars and third party deals we're all ****ed...

Yes we most definitely are but as it stands we have no sponsor for next year and have had our star halves poached by what i assume are rich 3rd party agreements. The part I'm not understanding is why. Sponsorship should be our priority to ensure there is a club to succeed with. Manly is an amazing part of sydney that is romanticised by all for its laid back surf culture and out of the way of the city location with a successful football club whose culture is the envy of the footballing world. Sounds like a marketing dream to me! Yet here we are with a real lack of understanding as to why souths and the roosters seem to have a leg up on us in regards to these areas. I probably sound like I'm being negative and crapping all over the management but I'm really just trying to get peoples opinions so i can shape my own on the subject.

Yes we most definitely are but as it stands we have no sponsor for next year and have had our star halves poached by what i assume are rich 3rd party agreements. The part I'm not understanding is why. Sponsorship should be our priority to ensure there is a club to succeed with. Manly is an amazing part of sydney that is romanticised by all for its laid back surf culture and out of the way of the city location with a successful football club whose culture is the envy of the footballing world. Sounds like a marketing dream to me! Yet here we are with a real lack of understanding as to why souths and the roosters seem to have a leg up on us in regards to these areas. I probably sound like I'm being negative and crapping all over the management but I'm really just trying to get peoples opinions so i can shape my own on the subject.
Surfstitch are doing well as a company and originated in Mona Vale. Hit them up for some sponno dollars!

Staff online

Latest posts

Team P W L PD Pts
5 4 1 23 10
5 4 1 14 10
6 4 2 48 8
6 4 2 28 8
5 3 2 25 8
5 3 2 14 8
6 3 2 38 7
6 3 2 21 7
6 3 3 37 6