Who is Manly's greatest Rival?

• We had an issue with background services between march 10th and 15th or there about. This meant the payment services were not linking to automatic upgrades. If you paid for premium membership and are still seeing ads please let me know and the email you used against PayPal and I cam manually verify and upgrade your account.

Who is Manly's greatest Rival of all time?

• Storm

Votes: 22 31.0%
  • Eels

Votes: 37 52.1%
  • Rabbits

Votes: 5 7.0%
  • Roosters

Votes: 1 1.4%
  • Bulldogs

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Raiders

• Dragons

• Sharks

• Panthers

• Knights

• Cowboys

• Broncos

Votes: 1 1.4%
  • Warriors

• Tigers

• Titans

• Warringah Council

Votes: 5 7.0%

• Total voters
There are many rivals- but none great

Don't underestimate the Sharks as they hate us for snuffing Their only chances of finals success

I love it cause I was there each time

Parra will never forget our 7 tackles with uncle Greg and souffs just despise us for taking any player that looked good and turning them into winners

Got to list laugh at those losers

Storm Ste just cheats and will always know that we know they are

Hahaha fcuk the storm

It all depended on the period. In the 50s Easts were a boby but St Geprge took over. In the 60s it was definitely St George. Late 60s and early 70s South Sydney. Then Parramatta (on and off during the 70s and 80s) Wests in the early 80s, Brisbane in the late 80s and 90s, Melbourne followed then by Canterbury with Des and now perhaps Parra and Cronulla.

But our traditional rival has usually been Parramatta because they joined in '47 with Manly and its been a contest to see who's best since then. We lead at this stage.

It all depended on the period. In the 50s Easts were a boby but St Geprge took over. In the 60s it was definitely St George. Late 60s and early 70s South Sydney. Then Parramatta (on and off during the 70s and 80s) Wests in the early 80s, Brisbane in the late 80s and 90s, Melbourne followed then by Canterbury with Des and now perhaps Parra and Cronulla.

But our traditional rival has usually been Parramatta because they joined in '47 with Manly and its been a contest to see who's best since then. We lead at this stage.
Hate to remind you of 82,83 - Parra has us whooped in our GF contests :banghead:
Back to back GF losses still really hurt :(

Hate to remind you of 82,83 - Parra has us whooped in our GF contests :banghead:
Back to back GF losses still really hurt :(

Point taken HappilyManly, though you did note of my comments of Parramatta that they were our primary adversary 'on and off' during the 70s and 80s. I focused on Wests because of the Masters period and our snatching of Dorahy, Boyd and Brown that caused some very aggressive contests during that period

Parra for mine, entered the comp in the same year and have faced off in a few grand finals. It's heating up again since BA defected and took a few players with him.

But really we have rivalries with plenty of teams: Western Suburbs and North Sydney definitely worth a mention, the tribalism of those derbies. Cronulla, Souths, Canterbury, Roosters. Storm nowadays is a great rivalry.

Great topic as we have so many rivals to speak of. Parramatta are definitely a contender as there is a mutual hatred between the clubs but their lack of success in the last 30 years means they have not kept up with us and not really worthy of our full respect. Melbourne on the other hand have been a more than worthy adversary in the modern era. They have been just as successful as we have been and have inspired us to be our best as we have them. Melbourne is like a well oiled machine and we always know where we are at after playing them. Melbourne get my vote as I love to hate them. Parramatta hate themselves so i don't have to haha.

Our greatest rival or rivals?

Donkeys, Scumdogs, Waders, Gummies, Tits, Drizzle, Knightriods, Worriers, Cowgirls, Speels, Riff, Souffs, St Merge, Rorters, Tigpies.

Did I miss anyone?

Oh......Wigan and Leeds. And Toad Greenturd.

In the modern era, it would've/should've still been the Storm, but since Des defected, the Bulldogs kind of took over for me, and now BA and his two lovers have kind of taken over from them.

I guess anyone who turns their back on Manly and tries to destabilize us in the process - will always get my vote for 'THE TEAM I REALLY WANT TO SEE GET SMASHED!'

Oops I forgot, this thread was about 'Manly's greatest rival'.

My bad.

Can't see how the eels have been voted so far as our biggest rivals for seasons 82 & 83.We've had more epic battles with the storm since 2007 including a massive brookvale brawl the biggest propably in the last 10 years or so.

Can't see how the eels have been voted so far as our biggest rivals for seasons 82 & 83.We've had more epic battles with the storm since 2007 including a massive brookvale brawl the biggest propably in the last 10 years or so.
Us oldies remember the quality of the Parra sides, all across the field. Our b2b GF losses to them showed their supremecy over our 'aging' 82/83 roster.

I always felt that the Scumos' success was/is greatly augmented by Cam's manipulation of the Refs. Add to that their many inovative wrestle tackles and the illegally stacked roster thanks to double book accountancy.
They are artificially boosted on the field, whereas Parra , for a good decade from the mid 70s, had talent to spare. They even had Hollywood Hartley out in the middle actively penalizing them @:cool:

Glad I am old enough to remember the splinters from Cumberland oval and the grassy knoll of Lidcombe oval :D

Us oldies remember the quality of the Parra sides, all across the field. Our b2b GF losses to them showed their supremecy over our 'aging' 82/83 roster.

I always felt that the Scumos' success was/is greatly augmented by Cam's manipulation of the Refs. Add to that their many inovative wrestle tackles and the illegally stacked roster thanks to double book accountancy.
They are artificially boosted on the field, whereas Parra , for a good decade from the mid 70s, had talent to spare. They even had Hollywood Hartley out in the middle actively penalizing them @:cool:

Glad I am old enough to remember the splinters from Cumberland oval and the grassy knoll of Lidcombe oval :D

Them was good days HM

It will always be the Eels for me. I remember when Manly were going through tough times around 2002/2003 Fitzgerald mentioned that Manly should be just allowed to die and kicked out of the comp. I hated them before this, of course, but I will never forget reading this. Bulldogs is another club that I would celebrate for years if they were to ever go under. They are just an all-round dirty club.
It sticks in my craw for ages when Manly loses to Parramatta, Bulldogs, Broncos, and to a lesser extent Souths. The rest don't really get me down for too long...

It's a age thing really

In your 20's/ 30's you are going to say the Drizzle, and for the last decade I agree.

I picked the Eels purely based on the fact that we both started playing in 1947, and we have lost two GF's against them ( and boy that hurt at the time).

I think really we have rivalries with all of the other 15 sides in the current comp and let's not forget the Bears, those that still support them to this day hate us more than anything!!

So your choice is somewhat based on how old you are.

It's a age thing really

In your 20's/ 30's you are going to say the Drizzle, and for the last decade I agree.

I picked the Eels purely based on the fact that we both started playing in 1947, and we have lost two GF's against them ( and boy that hurt at the time).

I think really we have rivalries with all of the other 15 sides in the current comp and let's not forget the Bears, those that still support them to this day hate us more than anything!!

So your choice is somewhat based on how old you are.
I reckon it depends on where you live too Mark. If hadn't moved to Qld it'd probably still be the Eels but every time we beat the Broncos I'm over the moon, conversely if we lose I've got the s**ts for days.

I reckon it depends on where you live too Mark. If hadn't moved to Qld it'd probably still be the Eels but every time we beat the Broncos I'm over the moon, conversely if we lose I've got the s**ts for days.

Yep must admit I love beating the Donkeys!!

I might make that game in June @Moondog we should catch up for a coldie

Members online

Latest posts

Team P W L PD Pts
3 3 0 48 6
4 3 1 28 6
3 2 1 10 6
4 2 2 39 4
3 2 1 28 4
3 2 1 15 4
3 2 1 14 4
2 1 1 13 4