Who will run out in the Origin Sides??

• We had an issue with background services between march 10th and 15th or there about. This meant the payment services were not linking to automatic upgrades. If you paid for premium membership and are still seeing ads please let me know and the email you used against PayPal and I cam manually verify and upgrade your account.

Nutzcraw

Bencher
This is what I reckon will go close to being picked

NSW

Brett Stewart
Joel Monoghan
Mark Gasnier
Jamie Lyon
Jarryd Hayne
Braith Anasta
Brett Finch
Mark O'Meley
Danny Buderus
Willie Mason
Paul Gallen
Ryan Hoffman
Greg bird

Kurt Gidley
Anthony Laffranchi
Anthony Tupou
Brent Kite

QLD

Billy Slater
Israel Falou
Brent Tate
Justin Hodges
Greg Inglis
Scott Prince
Jonathan Thurston
Carl Webb
Cameron Smith
Petero Civoniceva
Nate Myles
Michael Crocker
Dallas Johnstone

Nathan Friend/Aaron Payne
Neville Costigan
Jacob Lillyman
Sam Thaiday

I like the look of that NSW team except that I would brush O'Meley, start Kite and bring Ben Cross onto the bench. I also think they'll have Matt Cooper on that wing instead of Monoghan.

Deep down I believe they are going to pick Gidley in the halves, although I think it is a massive mistake. I can't believe it has taken until this weekend before someone brought up the kicking games (Phil Gould in his weekend column). Finally somebody stood up and explained that neither Bird nor Gidley has a kicking game to speak of, something which is crucial in footy but even moreso in Origin.

Finch, mind you, did his absolute best to play himself out of a Blues jersey yesterday with one of the worst kicking displays ever. What was it...five of his kicks that were charged down? Totally unacceptable.

I don't really care about QLD's team, but I reckon they would be better off having Folau in the centres.

From all reports Cooper will be the centre not Lyon and White and Cross will be in the front row at the expense of Kite and oMeally. 

The coach will pick his two Melbourne front rowers from last years grand final and Cooper has incriminating photos of Bellamy.

Do not get me wrong Gidley is a great player but what a waste of a bench spot.  In NRL games how many Gidley type reserves do teams have?  None, it is generally 4 forwards which might include a hooker. Having him there is good cover if we get a injury in the backs but we could generally cover that anyway.

tookey link said:
From all reports Cooper will be the centre not Lyon and White and Cross will be in the front row at the expense of Kite and oMeally. 

The coach will pick his two Melbourne front rowers from last years grand final and Cooper has incriminating photos of Bellamy.

Cooper's name has been thrown up because of his combo with Gasnier. But centre combo's are hugely overrated. They barely ever link up on the field, which is why I would put him on the wing next to Gaz.

The other thing which Killer has in his favour is goal-kicking. He is a genuine 75% or more kicker. No one else in contention can claim that. Gidley is improving, but not reliable. Gasnier has had a few cracks at goal this year but he'd not be someone that you would want kicking in Origin.

Also, Gidley off the bench is dynamite Garts. Covers 8 positions on the field, will provide huge impact when he comes on and once he comes on he will stay on and finish the game swapping positions. He can come on for Buderus, but then Buderus can come back on and replace Gallen or another backrower sending Bird into the backrow and Gidley into the halves. Or Anasta, or whoever they end up going with.

There is no doubt he is one of the form NSW players in the comp, but his versitility off the bench is too valuable to start him at half-back.

I'll be spewing if White gets a run. He was f*cking terrible last year. Got smashed in his first hit up and was silent for the rest of the series. He did nothing but bleed. Cross is someone I'd love to see coming off the bench though. Perfect for Origin.

If I was picking the side I'd go for

Stewart
Hayne
Cooper
Gasnier
Monaghan
Anasta
Gidley

Gallen
Hoffman
Mason
Kite
Buderus
O'Meley

Cross
Laffranchi
Bird
Hornby

Quinn will probably get the nod over Monaghan but I think they will exploit him in the air with Folau and Inglis.

Possibly start Bird at lock, push Gallen to second row and bench Mason. Hornby can cover dummy half as well as half and fullback, but they'll probably pick Finch which is a joke.

The only other thing I'd consider is Hindmarsh instead of Laffranchi as he does a hell of a lot of tackling and clean up work, something that Mason, Hoffman, Laffranchi aren't big on. But Laffranchi can also be a defacto prop.

I'll be really surprised if Lyon gets picked.

I actually think the Qld backline will read like this

Slater
Hunt
Hodges
Falou
Inglis

Slater and Hunt to interchange between the back. Mal is loyal, and Hunt is a favourite of his. Hunt certainly gained some respect from me yesterday, had a good game

Gidley has fractured his cheekbone, but is playing on

White off the field with a shoulder injury, they think at the moment it is just a stinger like Beaver had

If Fit this will be the side.

1.B Stewart
2.J Hayne
3.M Gasnier
4.J Lyon
5.A Quinn
6.G Bird
7.M Orford
8.B White
9.D Budderus
10.B Kite
11.P Gallen
12.R Hoffman
13.A Laffranchi

14.K Gidley
15.W Mason
16.A Tupou
17.B Cross

Matabele link said:
Cross has played himself out of the NSW side tonight. 

Couldn't agree more. He's been f*cking abysmal.

Finch did everything possible to play himself out of the NSW team yesterday by nullifying the only part of his game which was stronger than Gidley (his kicking game - kicks got charged down five times...terrible).

And Cross did the same tonight. No energy, dropped balls, looked out of his depth or injured. I still think Cross is made for Origin, but he was battered out there tonight.

This weekend's games certainly didn't make picking the team any easier.

Mullen went OK, scored a try and tackled.  There's no way they'll pick Orford.  He's just not good enough.

Exactly Byso.  Orford is no world beater but he is the best NSW half running around at the moment.  Anyway I hope they do not pick him for Manlys sake. 

If NSW have Gidley and Bird in the halves we are screwed.  Need a proper half, not Gidley, especially with Bird next to him.

I seriously think that if they picked  Anasta and Orford in the halves it would be a success

Brett Stewart
Anthony Quinn
Mark Gasnier
Jamie Lyon
Jarryd Hayne
Braith Anasta
Matt Orford

Brent Kite
Danny Buderus
Willie Mason
Paul Gallen
Ryan Hoffman
Anthony Laffranchi

Greg bird
Kurt Gidley
Anthony Tupou
Brett White

I think there should be another bopper on the bench, I read that Fitzgibbon was in contention for a spot

byso link said:
Gidley apparently has an injured cheekbone.

They'll still pick him, and just give him as much time as possible. Very likely that they'll pick Mullen as the shadow player because it will work to his benefit if he is suspended for a week, because he as 18th man he can use Newcastle's game this weekend to cover that suspension and be right to play for NSW.

The first game of SOO this year is imminent.
One of the best competitions of any contact sport, anywhere.

A quick reminder of how competitive Origin has been over the years:
Games played: 81
QLD wins: 40
NSW wins: 39
Draws: 2
Series wins: tied - NSW 12, QLD 12 (and 2 drawn)

Queensland are defending champs, and have won the previous 2 Origin series. They're looking to tie the NSW record of 3 consecutive series and going by the talent in their side - head into this years' Origin as favourites.

NSW are the underdogs, but determined to stop Queensland in their tracks and sneak home this year's series. Will be a tough ask, as they've got a rookie halves combo, yet to prove themselves in the toughest NRL arena.

ORIGIN I
Date: 21st May 2008
Venue: Stadium Australia, Homebush
Kickoff: 8.00pm

Coverage
TV: Live on Ch. 9 for NSW & QLD. For other states, please check your local viewing guide
Radio: 2GB (continuous call team), ABC Radio, Triple J (Roy & HG)
Live Internet Stream: 2GB

---

Here's the list of players with thier position numbers and club they play for:

---

NSW squad for Origin I

1. Stewart (Manly)
2. Hayne (Eels)
3. Gasnier (Dragons)
4. Cooper (Dragons)
5. Quinn (Storm)
6. Bird (Sharks)
7. Wallace (Broncos)
8. White (Storm)
9. Buderus (c) (Knights)
10. Cross (Knights)
11. Hoffman (Storm)
12. Mason (Roosters)
13. Gallen (Sharks)

NSW Interchange Bench
14. Laffranchi (Titans)
15. Tupou (Roosters)
16. Fitzgibbon (Roosters)
17. Hornby (Dragons)

Queensland squad for Origin I

1. Slater (Storm)
2. Tate (Warriors)
3. Inglis (Storm)
4. Hodges (Broncos)
5. Folau (Storm)
6. Hunt (Broncos)
7. Thurston (Cowboys)
8. Webb (Cowboys)
9. Smith (c) (Storm)
10. Civoniceva -(Panthers)
11. Crocker (Storm)
12. Thaiday (Broncos)
13. Johnson (Storm)

QLD Interchange Bench
14. Marsh (Broncos)
15. Hannant (Broncos)
16. Myles (Roosters)
17. Lillyman (Cowboys)

---

Geez, that is one nasty-looking QLD team.

Wallace & Bird for NSW really have the weight of our state on thier shoulders, and when Gasnier & Cooper get walked all over by thier opposing centres & wingers, it will be goodnight NSW.

Let's hope the NSW ruck play has enough variety to get the QLD'ers on thier back feet a few times to give the Blues a chance.

The NSW TAB Sportbet currently has QLD paying $1.65, NSW paying $2.20.

Bring it on!

Staff online

Team P W L PD Pts
7 6 1 99 14
7 6 1 54 14
7 5 2 36 12
8 5 2 39 11
8 5 3 64 10
7 4 3 49 10
8 4 4 73 8
7 3 4 17 8
8 4 4 -14 8