why did they shut down the Manly site forum?

• We had an issue with background services between march 10th and 15th or there about. This meant the payment services were not linking to automatic upgrades. If you paid for premium membership and are still seeing ads please let me know and the email you used against PayPal and I cam manually verify and upgrade your account.
BAZ link said:
in reading the replies here the simple truth has finally dawned on me - so here's the reason: DES
I know from a senior member of the club who I spoke to personally that Des rules Manly
what Des wants Des gets - he has won a premiership and that gives him enormous pull
and I was told that DES controls everything - players, team selection, down to extra bottles of water, towels anything
so DES would have thought, in his brain, the forum might get read my some Manly players and get ideas into their heads
so DES would says: get rid of it

I ask him when I see him next - I suppose the players are banned from logging onto silvertails then.

LOL. As if any player in their right mind would visit a football forum, this one or any other, and expect to take something intelligent away with them from the experience. What ideas could they possibly glean from MWSE forum, that Des can't coach ? Bailey, T-Rex, Perry, Hodkinson, Matai, Watmough etc cant play ? Brett Stewarts career is finished ? Manly are finished for 2010 ? LOL.

Chip & Chase link said:
LOL. As if any player in their right mind would visit a football forum, this one or any other, and expect to take something intelligent away with them from the experience. What ideas could they possibly glean from MWSE forum, that Des can't coach ? Bailey, T-Rex, Perry, Hodkinson, Matai, Watmough etc cant play ? Brett Stewarts career is finished ? Manly are finished for 2010 ? LOL.
All I can say to that is players are human and they will care to know what is being said about them.

Jerry is right though, what's next, mwse trying to shut down ST forum?

WAMF link said:
[quote author=Chip & Chase link=topic=183738.msg269887#msg269887 date=1277538095]
All I can say to that is players are human and they will care to know what is being said about them.

Jerry is right though, what's next, mwse trying to shut down ST forum?
[/quote]

Of course they're human, but they're not stupid (well most of them anyway), so why would they possibly care what a bunch of nuffies on a forum thought about them. I'd suggest that the opinion of their peers would be more important, and quite frankly if they are that delicate that stuff written here or on any other forum had an effect on them then they really shouldn't be playing NRL.

It would be like me getting upset or concerned if you, or some other poster, called me a nasty name or questioned the validity of my views or opinions. FFS you'd have to be a moron to take anything written on a forum with anything other than  grain of salt. That's not to say that there aren't some posters on here who's opinions and views I respect and acknowledge, however you don't have to be Einstein to pick out the muppets either.

Fair call C&C.
How about the players family and friends? They have a life, they will go to forums to see what is being written?
I'm not saying you're wrong, however, if it wasn't possibly going to effect the performance of the club, why pull the forum the way it was done?
Cheers.

WAMF link said:
Fair call C&C.
How about the players family and friends? They have a life, they will go to forums to see what is being written?
I'm not saying you're wrong, however, if it wasn't possibly going to effect the performance of the club, why pull the forum the way it was done?
Cheers.
  Probably because it was becoming a pain in the arse. 

wombatgc link said:
[quote author=jbb/james link=topic=183738.msg269408#msg269408 date=1277453552]
It certainly is a tough one. I am a member who has his nose out of joint regarding the forum.Its not because there is no forum, as I can have that here, essentially I haven't lost the ability to talk manly with manly minded folk.But I do feel misled or maybe incidental is a better word.

While I totally understand Manlys right and maybe even there need to close the forum, the execution has been poor. I have sent my emails to Sarah and included zorb and lowey in the mix. One email was addressed by the club and the other has gone through to the keeper unanswered. I hope its in the too hard basket rather than the, not this basket case again basket. To be honest it pained me to have to send anything negative to the club I adore and always have. But I just felt wronged

While I understand the reasoning that vidmar has explained to us all, the lack of empathy shown by the club to its members has been pretty hard to Ignore. Even now my Inbox is full of des's diary and match info but nothing hearfelt from the club explaining to its members that unfortunately it was a decision the club had to make. Nothing but corporate blah. Lets face it, if you want to sell me a rotten fish you better have a sales pitch and chuck in some fries .

I have received an email from the club stating that the forum was not part of membership and just and added bonus and printed material sent to fans supports this.They also admit that Information on the website did include it as a benefit but we have since changed that to reflect our new policy. If that isn't gobbledygook than what is. Thankyou once again for treating me like an idiot. Ill make sure I order a dickhe#d hat with my next jersey

Right or wrong, renew or not, good or bad there is just no escaping this feeling I have in my stomach for the way this has been handled.Time heals most wounds and only time will tell, but deep down i ask myself how things can go from such a high to such a low so quickly. If others are able to shake this off without missing a beat then I applaud you.Maybe as a manly fan i should have thicker skin by now but everyone is different. I don't expect everyone to get it

There is no doubt the club has dealt with this in an attitude that is very unbecoming toward its fans, and while everyone makes mistakes in the heat of battle there refusal to re visit the situation and deal with the members on a more personal nature is what sticks in my craw .
excellent post James.
I'm positive if Grant Mayer
was still CEO the forum debacle would have been handled much better.
He was in tune with it, and gained much respect when he frequently answered posts on MWSE.

[/quote]
ding ding ding we have a winner
you nailed it wombat

the current admin treat us like mushrooms (keep us in the dark and feed us bull****)
90% of the issues with forum would of been avoided with some decent communication with the members some thing grant mayer and aaron did exceptionally well.

i would urge people not to walk away and not renew their membership next year but instead drowngrade to the basic cheapest membership

DSM5 link said:
I hope I'm of the former not the latter C & C.
Thanks for backing up my point DSM5.
You are clearly human so you care if you are loved or hated or thought to be a dumb stupid prick ect... you get my drift  ;)

Good call Cambo. I understand it's a personal decision that people need to make but I will be downgrading my sea eagles membership to the most basic from the Bird of Prey membership that I've maintained for several yrs. I will always ensure to renew my football club membership.

I sit in the Jane Try Stand the members were informed at the start of the season that the Jane Try was SOLD OUT , that there would only be Manly supporters sitting in those seats yet on a regular basis i see people whom follow other teams with tickets not passes siting in those seats , and there is even a seat in the front of that for one and a half seasons has been empty.

In english i am sick of the BS and crap and actully thinking of down grading my ticket for the 2011 season

endzone link said:
I sit in the Jane Try Stand the members were informed at the start of the season that the Jane Try was SOLD OUT , that there would only be Manly supporters sitting in those seats yet on a regular basis i see people whom follow other teams with tickets not passes siting in those seats , and there is even a seat in the front of that for one and a half seasons has been empty.

In english i am sick of the BS and crap and actully thinking of down grading my ticket for the 2011 season

Good point. We were told that the Jane Try Stand was in HUGE demand and that justified the increased price of Gold Membership. I used to be a gold member for 2 seasons, but jacking the price up $150 saw me only purchase a maroon this season. If the club isn't serious about providing more for the higher membership tiers then the can't be serious about generating the revenue they are hoping for.

Think of it this way: My girlfriend and I were season ticket holders in 07 and 08. That's $250x2x2 = $500 x2 (we are both students). They were making and easy $500 each year from the two of us. Then the supposed increase in demand saw the two of us unable to purchase gold memberships as we were planning to do, and so I bought a maroon membership for myself (she was only interested in being a member if it was ticketed). Maroon membership = $60/70.

$500 - $70 = $430 <- the amount of money they 'lost' from the two of us not renewing. If there are empty seats now, then how do they justify that loss?

DSM5 link said:
Just go and support some other team you soft cocks. 

You crack me up sometimes with your comments DSM

Not as pathetic as a bunch of sooks crying at the loss of a blog site.  This one was and is far superior to the official one so why mope about it.  Stay on this one and talk footie. 

DSM5 link said:
Not as pathetic as a bunch of sooks crying at the loss of a blog site.  This one was and is far superior to the official one so why mope about it.  Stay on this one and talk footie. 

Not moping about it, just voicing opinions. You don't have to read them if they upset you so much.

DSM5 link said:
I see this site also has it's geese.
Somewhere there's a village missing you.

Team P W L PD Pts
5 4 1 23 10
5 4 1 14 10
6 4 2 48 8
6 4 2 28 8
5 3 2 25 8
5 3 2 14 8
6 3 2 38 7
6 3 2 21 7
6 3 3 37 6
6 3 3 16 6
6 3 3 -13 6