Will the Real Des Hasler please stand up

• We had an issue with background services between march 10th and 15th or there about. This meant the payment services were not linking to automatic upgrades. If you paid for premium membership and are still seeing ads please let me know and the email you used against PayPal and I cam manually verify and upgrade your account.

Bearfax

Grizzly old fart
Might have noticed my absence. Just stood back and watched for the beginning of the season to see if Des had learned from last year. I'm disappointed because it seems he hasn't. Certainly Des developed a champion set of players in his 2004-11 stretch with Manly and they did the job for him. But the Des I remember was a risk taker, innovator, recognising talent immediately and getting it in there, ensuring the defence pattern was rock hard. Des was the master.

I looked at his team he was selecting on the weekend and just shook my head. I could see it coming. Another flogging. For some reason Des is gun shy. Scared I suspect of losing his reputation. Scared of taking the risks he did that brought Manly two premierships.

I'm not a coach, but I've had to handle team situations. One of the first rules is to know your best people and their best roles and stick with that. Move the second tier people around them, but never touch your best people unless someone better comes along. And who are Manly's best. In order Turbo, DCE, Jake, M. Fainu, Taupau, Schuster, Walker. Turbo is a full back. Never move him unless someone better comes along. DCE is a No 7. We know he's a top half, he's just got a dysfunctional side around him (remember State of Origin with a decent 5/8). Jake is either lock or second row, Taupau prop, Fainu hooker, Schuster 5/8, Walker centre. You start from there and build the team around those fixed positions. Without Turbo, you use the players who have shown some ability there eg Harper, Funa. Without Fainu the next best is Cust and Foran. Using Foran at 5/8 and leaving Schuster out was madness. Walker at full back...madness. Schuster is the future 5/8...get him in there.

Then build around that and stick with youth unless you have a tough experienced player who dominates his position. But my backline for now would be FB:Harper or Funa, Wings: Saab and Funa or Koula (because he's damned fast), Centres Walker and Suli or Ben Trbojevic (because he has a good reading of Schuster and he's big and fast), 5/8: Schuster (no question) Half: DCE...hookers Cust and Foran.

This side will contest the Spoon unless Des does some work on defence, and selections. He took the risks with youngsters in 2004-11 such as Matai (20), Williams (21),, Foran (18), DCE (22) etc and they produced for him Now we have Ben T (19), Schuster (almost 20), Funa (23) Koula (18) and even Sione Fainu (19) potentially sitting on the side-lines while Des procrastinates with players who arent performing.

I'm not expecting miracles but last year was a disgrace, especially given Des had options. When he finally used them late in the year the defence was still ragged, but the attack improved markedly. Yet he's falling back to what failed last year again. We want the Des of 2004-11, not the Des we're seeing at present.

Schuster is playing with blacktown today and has guacamole and simona on his side. Would be better then watching last nights performance my goodness. Des just needs to get with the times and give these young players a run instead of dropping them to reserve only to get injured and sit longer on the side lines...

Schuster is playing with blacktown today and has guacamole and simona on his side. Would be better then watching last nights performance my goodness. Des just needs to get with the times and give these young players a run instead of dropping them to reserve only to get injured and sit longer on the side lines...
Yep, it's on Fox today.

Unfortunately, the game has passed Des Hasler by. Hate saying and reading things like Des Hasbeen, but I guess it's true. People then say, what replacements are on the table. At this stage, I'd take anyone. Take The Walker brothers (something new).

May open up a pathways to Queensland players at least or something?

Would love our recruitment team turned over.
Sad that I loved Donny Singe, but this team of ours looks 5 pegs slower than any other team in the league.

Des in the presser , when questioned about changes his reply not yet , expect the same side to get picked next week , Des needs to take the blinkers off and have a good look of the squad and play the players that will improve the team not the ones that just keep plodding along and hoping they play mistake free footy

Might have noticed my absence. Just stood back and watched for the beginning of the season to see if Des had learned from last year. I'm disappointed because it seems he hasn't. Certainly Des developed a champion set of players in his 2004-11 stretch with Manly and they did the job for him. But the Des I remember was a risk taker, innovator, recognising talent immediately and getting it in there, ensuring the defence pattern was rock hard. Des was the master.

I looked at his team he was selecting on the weekend and just shook my head. I could see it coming. Another flogging. For some reason Des is gun shy. Scared I suspect of losing his reputation. Scared of taking the risks he did that brought Manly two premierships.

I'm not a coach, but I've had to handle team situations. One of the first rules is to know your best people and their best roles and stick with that. Move the second tier people around them, but never touch your best people unless someone better comes along. And who are Manly's best. In order Turbo, DCE, Jake, M. Fainu, Taupau, Schuster, Walker. Turbo is a full back. Never move him unless someone better comes along. DCE is a No 7. We know he's a top half, he's just got a dysfunctional side around him (remember State of Origin with a decent 5/8). Jake is either lock or second row, Taupau prop, Fainu hooker, Schuster 5/8, Walker centre. You start from there and build the team around those fixed positions. Without Turbo, you use the players who have shown some ability there eg Harper, Funa. Without Fainu the next best is Cust and Foran. Using Foran at 5/8 and leaving Schuster out was madness. Walker at full back...madness. Schuster is the future 5/8...get him in there.

Then build around that and stick with youth unless you have a tough experienced player who dominates his position. But my backline for now would be FB:Harper or Funa, Wings: Saab and Funa or Koula (because he's damned fast), Centres Walker and Suli or Ben Trbojevic (because he has a good reading of Schuster and he's big and fast), 5/8: Schuster (no question) Half: DCE...hookers Cust and Foran.

This side will contest the Spoon unless Des does some work on defence, and selections. He took the risks with youngsters in 2004-11 such as Matai (20), Williams (21),, Foran (18), DCE (22) etc and they produced for him Now we have Ben T (19), Schuster (almost 20), Funa (23) Koula (18) and even Sione Fainu (19) potentially sitting on the side-lines while Des procrastinates with players who arent performing.

I'm not expecting miracles but last year was a disgrace, especially given Des had options. When he finally used them late in the year the defence was still ragged, but the attack improved markedly. Yet he's falling back to what failed last year again. We want the Des of 2004-11, not the Des we're seeing at present.
Great post and agree on all points.

I have been so frustrated with the team selections, and then to see the performance yesterday shattering all expectation that there may have been learning from last year and the new rules and the manifest issues last year, so profoundly dissapointing.

I have followed this team all my life, but for the first time I have decided that I have to back off a bit. I'll look at the team selection on Tuesday, and if, as we all expect, its the same old rubbish, I'm not watching the game and I'll stay away from this site. Life's too short. If, on the other hand, he does something like what you and most of us suggest, I'm in and look forward to the game. Losing is always tough, but you can stick with it if we are putting our best team forward and having a go, but not what we saw yesterday.

I thought beneath his quirky style Des looked a bit shocked and demoralized in the presser yesterday. If so, then that is the best bloody thing that could happen to our great club ... it may lead to change.

I normally have 3 gold memberships, but am actually glad to have saved my money on the new offer this year. To pay full fare to see this rubbish would be such a waste.

Last edited:
I thought beneath his quirky style Des looked a bit shocked and demoralized in the presser yesterday. If so, then that is the best bloody thing that could happen to our great club ... it may lead to change.

I thought he sounded very disappointed in the performance whilst not throwing the players under a bus making reference to making amends for club and the fans in particular.

I know he is going to pick the same team again because as much as we want wholesale changes he'll give the players another chance to redeem themselves (this place will be in meltdown if it happens) However i think even he would be thinking he can't keep picking the same side if there isn't any improvement as the season could be lost even before we get Tom back.

The whole team looked underdone and the plan to have only 1 trial and resting your main players really showed. Very disjointed performance and need a whole heap of improvement just to catch up to the other 15 teams.

Members online

Latest posts

Team P W L PD Pts
7 6 1 99 14
7 6 1 54 14
7 5 2 36 12
8 5 2 39 11
8 5 3 64 10
7 4 3 49 10
8 4 4 73 8
7 3 4 17 8
8 4 4 -14 8