Will these two matches impress the yanks?

• We had an issue with background services between march 10th and 15th or there about. This meant the payment services were not linking to automatic upgrades. If you paid for premium membership and are still seeing ads please let me know and the email you used against PayPal and I cam manually verify and upgrade your account.

The Who

Journey Man
I'm awaiting coverage from US media on their impressions of RL. I thought both matches were great entertainment. The refs co-operated and kept penalties to a minimum. Let's hope this style of refereeing becomes the norm in the NRL.
Frankly, I think both matches showed what a vastly superior spectacle RL is to gridiron. The one aspect gridiron has over RL is the long forward passes. They can be spectacular. But that's it.
RL is quick, free-flowing and a true overall test of an athlete. He has to play long minutes, can tackle, run, pass, kick, think... basically every aspect of the rules falls into a RL players skill set. We all know about the physicality.
What I dislike about gridiron is that you only have to do one thing well. If you attack you don't have to defend. Unless you are one of the key players you just have to be robotic; all decisions are made for you. It must be a boring sport to play if you are not one of these key players. If you are about to get tackled you can run into touch without penalty. If you can kick that's it; no need to practice any other skill. It is such a stilted game that I'd be amazed if any Americans who caught today's action didn't realise why RL is a superior spectacle and a much greater test of an athlete's fitness and skills.
I give praise to all the NRL officials and the players who made today's Vegas matches such an extravaganza.

The footy was impressive but some of the scuffling and push and shove was embarrassing, let alone a formal on-field complaint about racism. Even some violence and apparently drunkenness in the crowd. (does this guy look familiar?)
I expect all that stuff would undo a lot of the good work that many of the players put in this week. NRL has a long way to go to match the professionalism expected in the mainstream US sports

We still have to disassociate ourselves from rugby. Americans don't see a difference and if anyone capitalises on it then it will be rugby. They'll just let everyone assume it's the same thing

I don't think it will ever be more than a sideshow novelty for US fans but even that could be enough of a financial success to justify this experiment.
Exactly, if in 5 years we can engage 0.5% of the US market it would double the amount of eyeballs on NRL. They don't need to takeover, if they can take the place of Lacrosse or frisbee golf it will be a successful endeavour.

I thought the manly souths game was good advertisement to impress the yanks but the roosters broncos game was scrappy and untidy. The best spectacular try though was the one the Broncos put on, with chain passing involving lots of players that led to Walsh scoring. I thought the intercept tries in both games may lead Americans to think this is common in our game. Finally the 2nd game had too much barging, fumbling and lacked control. Manly definitely impressed with our performance, and Reubs had radar precision with the boots, landing 6/6, from difficult angles. The narrow width of the field also did not showcase our game to the fullest.

Americans do not give one **** about rugba leag, I have family and friends there and i can tell you if it’s not NFL no one cares

the crowd was mostly aussies, kiwis, poms, ex pats and tourists

This is all about infiltrating american gambling and nothing more

Maybe the Yanks will never care about NRL.

The fact that x number of people travelled to Vegas to watch NRL is carrot enough for this venture to continue purely from an economic/tourism perspective.

I agree on point 3. There is money to be made there as well, despite how distasteful it may be to some.

I think the big takeout from this isn’t RL trying to take over Grid Iron that’s never ever going to happen.

But the US population base is massive , 332 million people , 15 times ( roughly ) that of Australia, so if we could get just 0.5% of Americans interested enough to watch a game a week that’s more eyes on that game than would watch here.

Betting is where the $$$ are and that’ll be the end game for sure.

And for those that say it’s impossible , how many of you also watch NFL, or NBA or Ice Hockey ( had to get that in @globaleagle ).

During the recent Super Bowl nearly every pub near me had an event , and most were sold out , so if Aussies who are RL fans can switch on to NFL surely the reverse can happen as well.

Remember , not expecting big numbers , just a small percentage.

I reckon after 5 years of this event happening you’ll start seeing traction.

VLandy’s said yesterday the $$$$ are in “
Watch NRL.com “ and of course gambling.

It’s a great move , hats off to the NRL!!

I'm awaiting coverage from US media on their impressions of RL. I thought both matches were great entertainment. The refs co-operated and kept penalties to a minimum. Let's hope this style of refereeing becomes the norm in the NRL.
Frankly, I think both matches showed what a vastly superior spectacle RL is to gridiron. The one aspect gridiron has over RL is the long forward passes. They can be spectacular. But that's it.
RL is quick, free-flowing and a true overall test of an athlete. He has to play long minutes, can tackle, run, pass, kick, think... basically every aspect of the rules falls into a RL players skill set. We all know about the physicality.
What I dislike about gridiron is that you only have to do one thing well. If you attack you don't have to defend. Unless you are one of the key players you just have to be robotic; all decisions are made for you. It must be a boring sport to play if you are not one of these key players. If you are about to get tackled you can run into touch without penalty. If you can kick that's it; no need to practice any other skill. It is such a stilted game that I'd be amazed if any Americans who caught today's action didn't realise why RL is a superior spectacle and a much greater test of an athlete's fitness and skills.
I give praise to all the NRL officials and the players who made today's Vegas matches such an extravaganza.
Damien Cook was showcasing the forward pass aspect pretty well i thought

The main thing is that at least the nrl is trying to sell the game to a bigger audience. I wouldnt expect much to come from it but gaining a few extra fans probably couldn't hurt.

I just spoke to a friend who lives in Toronto and he said, disappointingly, that he wasn't even aware the match was on. All the hype here and the effort put in by everybody and yet it seems that the match attracted very little interest in mainstream North America.

It was a tree
I think the big takeout from this isn’t RL trying to take over Grid Iron that’s never ever going to happen.

But the US population base is massive , 332 million people , 15 times ( roughly ) that of Australia, so if we could get just 0.5% of Americans interested enough to watch a game a week that’s more eyes on that game than would watch here.

Betting is where the $$$ are and that’ll be the end game for sure.

And for those that say it’s impossible , how many of you also watch NFL, or NBA or Ice Hockey ( had to get that in @globaleagle ).

During the recent Super Bowl nearly every pub near me had an event , and most were sold out , so if Aussies who are RL fans can switch on to NFL surely the reverse can happen as well.

Remember , not expecting big numbers , just a small percentage.

I reckon after 5 years of this event happening you’ll start seeing traction.

VLandy’s said yesterday the $$$$ are in “
Watch NRL.com “ and of course gambling.

It’s a great move , hats off to the NR was

That was a tremendous product shown to the yanks yesterday, particularly the Manly-South’s game which was a cracker.

Not sure if the weekly game simulcast from the shire or Leichhardt is going to attract the same appeal. Some games get quite dour and passionless when there is little to play for and Monsisur Ref starts to intervene.

I think if somehow this game could be a billed as the off-season alternative to NFL, and they boadcast only stadium games and top matches of the round I think there is something there.. Bring in some pyrotechnics, some cheer girls, and Julie Anthony (via CGI perhaps?) to only sing the national anthem, then we might have a sustainable product.

Kidding on the third point, but you see what I mean.

NYEagle

It was a tree

That was a tremendous product shown to the yanks yesterday, particularly the Manly-South’s game which was a cracker.

Not sure if the weekly game simulcast from the shire or Leichhardt is going to attract the same appeal. Some games get quite dour and passionless when there is little to play for and Monsisur Ref starts to intervene.

I think if somehow this game could be a billed as the off-season alternative to NFL, and they boadcast only stadium games and top matches of the round I think there is something there.. Bring in some pyrotechnics, some cheer girls, and Julie Anthony (via CGI perhaps?) to only sing the national anthem, then we might have a sustainable product.

Kidding on the third point, but you see what I mean.

NYEagle
Yes the Yanks really do that part well don’t they

Latest posts

Team P W L PD Pts
7 6 1 54 14
6 5 1 59 12
7 5 2 36 12
8 5 2 39 11
8 5 3 64 10
6 4 2 53 10
8 4 4 73 8
7 4 3 24 8