World Masters Games

• We had an issue with background services between march 10th and 15th or there about. This meant the payment services were not linking to automatic upgrades. If you paid for premium membership and are still seeing ads please let me know and the email you used against PayPal and I cam manually verify and upgrade your account.

Canteen Worker

First Grader
Not sure if anyone else is involved but I have signed up to be part of this event in Sydney this week.

It has about 30 thousand athletes from 95 countries in 28 sports. Went to the opening ceremony tonight and it was a blast. In ANZ stadium and had athletes from all the sports entering in big bunches.

The concert afterwards was sensational with Jessica Mauboy, David Campbell, Leo Sayer and John Paul Young absolutely wowing the stadium.

Was proud to be an Aussie tonight - Sydney knows how to put on good sporting events and a party.

I am playing over 45 soccer and apart from giving away a penalty and missing a sitter with a header that hit my nose rather than my forehead, am enjoying it.

Anyone else involved?

Canteen Worker link said:
Doug or you??

Haha people who have seen the two of us play wouldn't be asking that question. 

Douggie mentioned he had entered a team ,which they called "Australia"

Very nice of you to be out there supporting DSM5 in his athletic pursuits CW, make sure you give a scathing review of his efforts if they don't measure up

Some of these type of events can be great viewing. About 10 years back I attended the World Paralympic Swimming Champs, and it was amazing. The image of a bloke with no arms or legs competing will stick with me for a long time. (Will wait for the bob jokes from some of the comedians ;) )

The Kiwis I am playing with are a great bunch of blokes - all from Christchurch. Having a ball and we are undefeated at this point.

Us Christchurch blokes get pretty competitive mate, hope you took your drinking boots with you too haha

I don't think there are too many age limits.  I think the youngest running around is 24. 

Clon and CW are in their 60's though so they fit in fine ;)

Nice of them to use old masters in the Opening Ceremony.  Leo Sayer and John Paul young must be nearly centurions by now.

Peter Fitzsimons is playing rugby and looks like he's swallowed a horse.

For those who haven't realised, CW is that Santa Claus dude that seems to be in every edition of the paper.

Clon had a run against the Australian touch side in his grouping - sounds like a pretty high standard. 

Judging from the scoreline I don't think they were too pleased that the team had called themselves Australia : 18-2. 

Tough tournament, made even harder by getting back to the hotel at 5:30am when your first game is at 9am.

Masters is over 30's.

In swimming Masters starts at 25 and in every other sport it starts at 30. My Over 45 soccer team made the final and we lost to a a team from Wollongong. Missed the game as I was on a school trip, sadly. Was good fun though - just like a kids soccer carnival with a game every day. I loved it, though Kiwi is right in that the Christchurch guys enjoyed a drink, though nothing like Doug's efforts from the sound of it.

My favorite quote was from a group of kiwi women over for the Games "We are a drinking team with a netball problem!"

Staff online

Latest posts

Team P W L PD Pts
7 6 1 54 14
6 5 1 59 12
6 4 2 53 10
6 4 2 30 10
7 4 2 25 9
8 4 4 73 8
7 4 3 40 8
7 4 3 24 8
7 3 4 17 8