Would you support a breakaway comp?

• We had an issue with background services between march 10th and 15th or there about. This meant the payment services were not linking to automatic upgrades. If you paid for premium membership and are still seeing ads please let me know and the email you used against PayPal and I cam manually verify and upgrade your account.
  • We have been getting regular requests for users who have been locked out of their accounts because they have changed email adresses over the lifetime of their accounts. Please make sure the email address under your account is your current and correct email address in order to avoid this in the future. You can set your email address at https://silvertails.net/account/account-details

Would you support a breakaway comp?

• Yes

Votes: 40 74.1%
  • No

Votes: 14 25.9%

• Total voters
What about if it were combined, and everyone agreed (not just a few clubs). That would be the difference, because I agree with you....the soul was torn apart last time. I voted yes, on that merit.
That would work with a defined "product" for example;

1. 90% tv monies to be split evenly between teams with no salary cap
2. NFL style draft implemented,
3. 5% allocated to junior development
4. Administration of game to be a board of one representative of each club with an overall NRL Director appointed by clubs. 5% of TV Monies to be used to fund the Administration

There would be heaps of other things needed but with serious funding allocation and the game being run by the clubs, I think we would see a much better game.

Anything has to be better than the current crap we get from the NRL. We need a fair and transparent salary cap, draw, TV allocations and we need to let the referees adjudicate without all the interference they have. A new body needs to give the game back to the fans. Play games at family friendly times. Give incentives to get people to attend games. The agendas have to stop, the current game is Queensland centric from Origin to their three clubs plus Melbourne who are a banana bender team based in Victoria. I fear for the game under the current leadership, it is disturbing that 15 clubs out of 16 are not profitable, we have sub standard stadiums for over half the teams out there. The AFL is leaps and bounds ahead of the NRL in every aspect. Things will not change until the egos at the top are gone, Greenturd is an unmitigated disaster!!!

I'll be perfectly honest here. I never actually disagreed with the original Super League concept. They did actually have some good ideas for the game, though some of their ideas like players being household names in places like China was definitely something someone at News thought up late one night after a few too many bottles of wine. What I didn't like was how they went about it. After Kerry Packer flexed his muscles over the TV rights and the loyalty agreements seemingly put the SL to bed, Ken Cowley told Arko that they would go through the ARL and work with them in any future endeavours. However, that was never the intention and they embarked on a series of stealth raids to sign players and clubs which did damage to the game that is still being felt over 20 years later.

Funny how things worked out in the peace deal.....which heavily favoured one side. SL only lost the two made for SL clubs (Adelaide Rams and Hunter Mariners), as well as the Western Reds pulling out with a reported $10 million debt. But all 7 of the other defector teams still remain as single NRL clubs, and while Melbourne weren't technically SL they were owned by News. From the ARL competition, gone are Balmain, Gold Coast Chargers, Illawarra, North Sydney, South Queensland, St George and Western Suburbs. Manly and Souffs were also goneski for a while but thankfully Manly survived the Northern Eagles disaster, while unfortunately Souffs found their way back in as well.

The difference between the ARL back in the 90's and the NRL now is that the only thing the ARL did wrong was they were naive enough to think that they were untouchable. The NRL on the other hand are a bunch of incompetent, agenda driven fools who are more interested in the corporate dollars than they are in governing the game to a level playing field.

We are all better off supporting local RL like a group 6 or 7...no video ref to get in the way and good hard footy played by forwards who eat pies at half time and halves that smoke darts. It's a good brand of footy and the game opens up under fatigue at the 50-60 minute mark...anything can happen and thinking footy players are rewarded for their nouse and skill.

That's interesting. I love Super League. I think the opposite. I think they should promote the World Club Challenge more. Super League has some great players. I follow the Toronto Wolfpack since it's North America's team. I watched the USARL (USA's League competition) Grand Final this week. Hopefully, we can get more funding and support for our domestic league. I'm currently working for the USA Hawks right now trying to find a jersey sponsor for the World Cup this year. We need to globalize the game and get more countries involved. We need Canada involved too.

I think you've misread that mate. I don't think @Little Grubber Kick was having a go at the O/S Super League, but at the hangover from the ARL vs News Ltd Super League debacle of the late 90s.

Nothing against the way the game is played or run O/S, but my god the current NRL regime is biased in favour of those traitorous bastard teams.

I have written to the ARU suggesting their search for a new supremo is over ... they should poach him pronto ... he can be the saviour of Rugby Union and at the same time put one over Rugby League ..... no reply yet.
The way the Wallabies have been going and the parlous state of Super Rugby in this country I suspect he has been moonlighting over there for a while already.

As a long term fan, I want to see the game given back to the fans, rather than the corporate dollar, for 80 years the game survived on traditional hard football that brought out the tribal instincts and clashes that were memorable. Today's competition is now lopsided with the four Queensland clubs which includes Melbourne getting liberties that we can only dream of. The game is thriving in Queensland dying on the vine in NSW. The fans are voting with their feet. Unfair scheduling, lopsided player rosters, a salary cap that is not enforced and officiating that is at it lowest ever ebb. The game has serious problems and things start from the head of the snake. Until this changes, we will get the same inept leadership and our game will be further eroded away and fans who are the life blood of the game will follow other codes. This is a crisis and the NRL don't care or wants to deal with it. The finals should be the pinnacle of the season and the headlines are all about shocking officiating that has affected three out of the four games this weekend. The silence from Greenturd is deafening. He spends his weekend glorifying a team of cheats who continue to prosper without scrutiny. It is like the mentality of the NRL is, oh well, as long as we are strong in Queensland and we have a presence in Victoria we are doing ok, for too long NSW has been ignored and we are seeing this continue with the world cup coming up, where Sydney gets only one fixture where the Kangaroos feature. NSW is now the poor relation of the game and that's sad that we don't have an even competition.

Latest posts

Team P W L PD Pts
8 7 1 109 16
9 7 2 72 16
8 7 1 56 16
9 6 3 57 14
10 6 4 58 12
9 5 4 -14 12
10 5 4 31 11
9 5 4 95 10
9 4 5 19 10
9 4 5 -16 8