Tom is a Myth

• We had an issue with background services between march 10th and 15th or there about. This meant the payment services were not linking to automatic upgrades. If you paid for premium membership and are still seeing ads please let me know and the email you used against PayPal and I cam manually verify and upgrade your account.
  • We have been getting regular requests for users who have been locked out of their accounts because they have changed email adresses over the lifetime of their accounts. Please make sure the email address under your account is your current and correct email address in order to avoid this in the future. You can set your email address at https://silvertails.net/account/account-details
  • Wwe are currently experience some server issues which I am working through and hoping to resolve soon, Please bare with me whilst I work through making some changes and possible intermittent outages.
  • Apologies all our server was runing rogue. I managed to get us back to a point from 2:45 today though there is an attachment issue i will fix shortly. Things should be smooth now though
Tom isn’t the main problem it’s our senior players…all of them…I have been saying for a while now that we are bog average this year but we have had some luck on our side..but I feel we might start sliding down the ladder to where we should be
Tom is our senior player.

Tom got injured when he put on strong defence against parra at bankwest a couple years ago and was then ruled out for the season. The same when he tore his pecs in Soo last year. so I believe he is playing a more tentative style to make sure he lasts the season. Cant really blame him. He is still a very effective and good player under the circumstances. he also dosnt run at 100% too for the same reason. I think what he is doing is the right thing for the club and the fans.

Tom got injured when he put on strong defence against parra at bankwest a couple years ago and was then ruled out for the season. The same when he tore his pecs in Soo last year. so I believe he is playing a more tentative style to make sure he lasts the season. Cant really blame him. He is still a very effective and good player under the circumstances. he also dosnt run at 100% too for the same reason. I think what he is doing is the right thing for the club and the fans.
If he is not confident in his body then he needs to do something to address his mindset around it. It is going to be a big problem going forward if he is not 100% confident in his body and backs it.

Last edited:
Grand finals appearances tally at the end of a Manly playing career says a lot as to who has been Manly's greatest ever fullbacks.

Graham Eadie 6
Brett Stewart 4
Matthew Ridge 2
Bob Batty 2
Ron Willey 2
Dale Shearer 1
Ron Beaumont 1
Shannon Nevin 1
Tom T 0

Graham Eadie 6 doesn't include the 1978 replay

One thing I think most can agree on is snake needs to spend some time with turbo re his positioning & last man tackles?

The thing is the game is very different to how it was when Snake was playing. Take the amount of times full backs now defend in the line - something I am not sure Snake every really did

The thing is the game is very different to how it was when Snake was playing. Take the amount of times full backs now defend in the line - something I am not sure Snake every really did
And Wombat ( in my opinion our greatest ever ) never had to do that.

That’s why it’s impossible to compare players from 50 years ago to today , the game just isn’t the same ( sadly ).

Brett Stewart is light years ahead of Tom in one important aspect of the game; the ‘big game competitor’. Tom will carve up on a flat track but makes errors and does not pull off big plays in big moments under pressure, and sadly never has.

Snake on the other hand, was a ‘cometh the hour, cometh the man’ type. On the biggest stage in the biggest games, he iced moments that turned fortunes our way.

Brett Stewart is light years ahead of Tom in one important aspect of the game; the ‘big game competitor’. Tom will carve up on a flat track but makes errors and does not pull off big plays in big moments under pressure, and sadly never has.

Snake on the other hand, was a ‘cometh the hour, cometh the man’ type. On the biggest stage in the biggest games, he iced moments that turned fortunes our way.
Turbo will never get to snakes level or have to face what Brett had to

I am resigned to turbo never winning a title with us

Turbo is playing at about 80% capacity. Even at 80% he is still pretty good. However where it really shows up is in cover defence and goal line defence. I would even extend to 'almost tries'. How many times in the last few weeks has Tom been tackled just short of the line - 2 to 3 times a game. Pre- injury he scores every time. At $300k-$400k you could cop it but at $1M it is sucking up a lot of cap.

Question for me is: Do I want 80% week in /week out OR do I want him to play at 100% (even though risk of injury goes up)? Simple - I want him flat out.

Turbo is playing at about 80% capacity. Even at 80% he is still pretty good. However where it really shows up is in cover defence and goal line defence. I would even extend to 'almost tries'. How many times in the last few weeks has Tom been tackled just short of the line - 2 to 3 times a game. Pre- injury he scores every time. At $300k-$400k you could cop it but at $1M it is sucking up a lot of cap.

Question for me is: Do I want 80% week in /week out OR do I want him to play at 100% (even though risk of injury goes up)? Simple - I want him flat out.
Agree that it's a tricky one. Tom isn't playing great - and certainly nowhere near his past ability - but he is playing. That's the one real positive about his season so far: he hasn't got injured. The question is, do we have to settle for his current form to keep him out there?

Tom picked up 1 Daily M vote on Friday

The judges must have been watching another game because all I saw were him dropping balls and being out of position on at least two occasions which cost us tries

lets not only foucs on last weeks game TT has been out of postion / last line of defence on MANY occasions. He has not improved in that dept. Ahhhh how many try savers do you recall that TT has made ???

Grand finals appearances tally at the end of a Manly playing career says a lot as to who has been Manly's greatest ever fullbacks.

Graham Eadie 6
Brett Stewart 4
Matthew Ridge 2
Bob Batty 2
Ron Willey 2
Dale Shearer 1
Ron Beaumont 1
Shannon Nevin 1
Tom T 0

Graham Eadie 6 doesn't include the 1978 replay
Wow!
Shannon Nevin > Tom?
Yeah right.

Tom must accept that his best years as our superstar fullback are behind him. He is no longer that guy. It's time he moved into centre and played a roving role similar to Manu. I think he would be absolutely sensational in that role.

Koula, on the other hand, should be our long-term fullback. He is becoming everything that Tom no longer is, in terms of defence, speed and his ability to cut through from the backfield. I also think we need to go back to Garrick on the left wing, with Tom playing inside him. Talau goes to right centre, and our back five looks like this:

Koula
Garrick
Turbo
Talau
Saab

Staff online

Team P W L PD Pts
9 8 1 116 18
9 7 2 72 16
9 7 2 49 16
11 7 4 59 14
9 6 3 57 14