Tom is a Myth

• We had an issue with background services between march 10th and 15th or there about. This meant the payment services were not linking to automatic upgrades. If you paid for premium membership and are still seeing ads please let me know and the email you used against PayPal and I cam manually verify and upgrade your account.
  • We have been getting regular requests for users who have been locked out of their accounts because they have changed email adresses over the lifetime of their accounts. Please make sure the email address under your account is your current and correct email address in order to avoid this in the future. You can set your email address at https://silvertails.net/account/account-details
  • Wwe are currently experience some server issues which I am working through and hoping to resolve soon, Please bare with me whilst I work through making some changes and possible intermittent outages.
  • Apologies all our server was runing rogue. I managed to get us back to a point from 2:45 today though there is an attachment issue i will fix shortly. Things should be smooth now though
That goes both ways @Disco
I guess in some respects it is in the eye of the beholder but I'm confident my response is measured and fair.

Put it this way. If you line up a thousand NRL fans and put 'Tom still has a few gears to go and needs to work on a few defensive aspects but is overall a net positive for Manly and will play Origin on merit' Vs 'Tom is a Myth' I'm confident I'm not the one seen as over emotional and hyperbolic.

But each to their own.

Last edited:
Is it time for koula to the back and Tom to have a run at Blacktown?
tommy v dragons dropped balls
Tom v titans wasn’t imterested
trbo v raiders cost us with poor positional play..

kidding but Tom certainly is way way out of form..
If Koula doesn’t play fullback over Garrick during origin (assuming Tom’s involvement) I certainly won’t be watching….

I think he definitely has more gears and he needs to tighten defense and his errors but seriously, that state of this thread.

To paraphrase
  • a myth
  • looks like he doesnt give a **** about Manly
  • Disinterested
  • Should move to centre
  • Show pony
  • Only cares about Origin
  • Worst on field
  • Drop him to Blacktown

Hyperbolic and petulant nonsense the majority of it.
It’s peak Silvertails , we get an ordinary loss & this **** emerges.

Just look at the thread titles posted within an hour of the loss and you’d think the sky was falling in.

The season has seen more ups & downs for every side than I can remember in years.

No game is a guarantee of a win , and no game is a guarantee of a loss, there are so many factors at play.

I avoid the game day threads these days, they are just way way too over the top , it’s like one of those mad rides at Movie World.

But some of these other threads are just ridiculous.

We whinge & bitch when Tom gets injured & can’t play , and when he gets fit enough to play we whinge & bitch that he’s not as good as he was in 2021, now he’s apparently a “ Myth “.

Let me assure you if Tom put himself on the open market this “ myth” would create the greatest feeding frenzy known to man.

Yes I think he’s a bit reserved , but you can’t blame him can you.

Tom is a champion but is playing well below his best. IMO your fullback needs to have impeccable positional play and rock solid defence. If Toms is not in a good space and tentative in defence then he shouldn't be our last line of defence. Until he plays himself back into form I'd be running him in the centres and Koula at fullback. Tom will be playing centre in origin and not fullback. Similarly if Garrick can't tighten up his defence and start giving the ball to the winger outside of him in space then he needs to return to the wing. We are too quick nowadays to pigeon hole players into one position. What ever happened to playing where the team needs you most?

Tom is a champion but is playing well below his best. IMO your fullback needs to have impeccable positional play and rock solid defence. If Toms is not in a good space and tentative in defence then he shouldn't be our last line of defence. Until he plays himself back into form I'd be running him in the centres and Koula at fullback. Tom will be playing centre in origin and not fullback. Similarly if Garrick can't tighten up his defence and start giving the ball to the winger outside of him in space then he needs to return to the wing. We are too quick nowadays to pigeon hole players into one position. What ever happened to playing where the team needs you most?
Very fair , and logical , point.

People are bagging Tom.
If you look at why he has been out of position in defense, it’s because his defending in the front line.
Maybe if the others did their job in defense he could be that extra step or two back and be in better position.
Tom on the field is better then no Tom.

Go the eagles 🦅
Seems Tom is getting bagged for being to involved in games now. He's scoring a try a game and setting up trys, sounds like the sort of player I want in my footy team. As regards to Toms defence, being fullback and last line defender it's very hard to stop players like Sivo and co when there're virtually over the tryline anyways. Yeah, I'm pretty happy with Toms form and wish him the best for Origin as well.

Midgets jump over many people. Being agile is one of the benefits to being smaller in stature.

Tom is being paid the big bucks to be one of the best in the game in his current position and a player of influence. If you don't mind, I will go back to my first post and ask you what players currently playing the game at fullback you are going to trade Turbo for?
This is a key point. I agree with you. However, I disagree that Turbo is a player of influence currently. He reads to me more as a flat track bully. He turns up and dazzles us when everything is going well for the team… but, when things are not going so well, he inevitably is nowhere to be found. Another poster made the point elsewhere, which I thought was spot on. He does not turn games in the big moments like a Snake. He plays according to the flow of the team on the day. Players like Edward’s or Paps are there playing at the highest levels regardless of what the team is doing… remember Edwards against us recently? MOTM performance in a team beaten.

To answer your question (and putting my Manly bias aside), I would trade Turbo for Edwards. Less spectacular but consistently turns up and sets a high bar… does all of the basics exceptionally well and puts that team on the front foot every set.

Last edited:
As mentioned elsewhere, the team should come first, we have some real talent in the side, it’s such a shame it's either not used to it’s best potential or comes down to certain individuals seemingly flexing their status or perceived value, so as to maintain their desired position, we have the potential to be a better side with some positional changes, if certain players were willing to put aside their personal positional preference to potentially make us a better footy side. Maybe it’s just not how Seibs see it, disagrees or isn’t willing to gamble his future by looking outside the box.

Let’s speculate.

DCE would have made a great 9, still might, maybe? (His certainly a special player, but game manager and chief play maker he is not, his age doesn’t seem to slow him down and there is a solid argument that mature halves are a better option (young Kotoa says hello) which raises questions to where he offers the best value to our side, especially in context of Manlys current squad, SOO, yes he can play half and it works perfectly, but it’s not yielding the same results for Manly.

Rubes is a first class winger, amongst the top shelf, not sure why we have seemingly weakened one position to persist with this experiment when we potentially have other options that have the potential to make us a better footy side, guess it deserves a little more time, but seriously it is a questionable experiment at best.

Koula is wasted at centre, a touch to small for the position and could be Dynamic at 1, has the skill and speed to play a similar game to Walsh, Kennedy, etc with the potential to make us a better side, we got a window into the possible late last season. But then there’s Tom, we can’t upset Tom, his Bipolar enough, could you imagine if he didn’t and clearly doesn’t want to play centre, boom he is on record as wanting to play one.

Tom is a great player but you have to ask, wouldn’t he strengthen our side at 4 and unleash a wasted talent at 1, he will be playing 4 in Origin, he can’t displace Teddy and shouldn’t be picked in front of Edward’s, but as a centre, who would you pick in front of him? So when we have a potentially explosive number 1 in our own ranks tell me why Manly stick to the current status quo? Tom’s lost the pace to be that dynamic No 1, his still an out and out superstar and someone you want in your side, I love the bloke, but just think Manly can be a better footy side with him at 4, he has the potential to be a Joey Manu type, possibly better.

Quac is another, love him as a player, but I’d like to see him in the middle, he has the potential to be our Big dog, JFH or AFB type prop freeing up space to get some speed and mobility on the edges while improving the very same in the middle. He can make an impact from a standing start, gains post contact meters, can play big minutes, could easily develop his offload to create second phase play from one of our middles and be given license to drift out on occasion to hit the edges similar to what Leota does for the riff. Quac has the tendency to go missing during games. I think he would bring super value as a big minute prop and help balance out our side, maybe even become the No 1 prop in the game, it’s the modern way, speed up or make up the numbers.

If we were serious about winning a premiership we should be chasing 2 edge forwards to change the dynamic of our pack, I know you can’t have every superstar but it doesn’t seem to stop other sides from trying, players like Fifita and Crichton should be on our radar, what ever Shoes contract was, these pair aren’t that far away. Our pack is too slow and maybe too big, it’s definitely not a well balance pack.

We have the backs to be competitive, perhaps even dominate if used to their full potential, but in saying that they can only play off the back of our pack and it’s sadly out of balance and unable to play that up tempo game, we gas without the ball and struggle to remain competitive for 80 minutes least of all on a week in week out basis, especially in respect to playing with line speed and mobility.

Tom‘s not a Myth, his a talent and we should be building our side around him for the next few years while we have him, get our pack right and have Koula firing out the back with Tom playing a roving roll around our three quarter line and we have the potential to place ourselves in the hunt for a premiership. Sadly with the current status quo we are just making up the numbers at best. It’s a tough one, not for the faint hearted, but if being honest, does our current side make an impact on the comp (we maybe lucky to make the. 8) and more importantly can we compete in Sep? Answer, probably not, can we improve our side and give it a shot, definitely. Oh and if we want to play touch footy and make the most of this season with what we have then get Koula to one, Tom into the backline at 4 and really go after that style of play, currently we are to predictable, every side is ready for what’s coming.

No game is a guarantee of a win , and no game is a guarantee of a loss, there are so many factors at play.

I avoid the game day threads these days, they are just way way too over the top ,

Let me assure you if Tom put himself on the open market this “ myth” would create the greatest feeding frenzy known to man.
Good morning feathered friend Mark and thank you for your after game passionate perspectives
We all have our passionate views on here and we agree on some and disagree on others and that is what makes our forum interesting
So here I go with my reply

What is guaranteed is the the most consistent teams and players will dominate and win the comp

Avoiding game day is avoiding the events on the days play and the Passionate response from Passionate fans

As for Tom T he is a Trooper , He has been playing a bit below parr but TOM is still a STAR .
We do agree on one thing :)

Lacking the energy bar he has previously set himself......that's shown by positional play especially defensively, where often found wanting.
There's no more to it, simple as that.
He has to much belief to stay where he is and will push to get back to his best, but the funny part is, he is still 1 of the leading players in many area's, just not at his Dynamic best, which is opening doors for negative press....especially when we lose.

.especially when we lose.
The word Lose is Blasphemy at Manly !!!
Dont you ever use that word on our Sacred Manly forum feathered friend @maxta

Proud Manly People are Bad losers
and So we should be

A Quote from one of the most successful Winning coaches in the history of American football
The Great Winning Vince Lombardi

SHOW ME A GOOD LOSER
AND I WILL SHOW YOU A LOSER
1715048296743.png

As mentioned elsewhere, the team should come first, we have some real talent in the side, it’s such a shame it's either not used to it’s best potential or comes down to certain individuals seemingly flexing their status or perceived value, so as to maintain their desired position, we have the potential to be a better side with some positional changes, if certain players were willing to put aside their personal positional preference to potentially make us a better footy side. Maybe it’s just not how Seibs see it, disagrees or isn’t willing to gamble his future by looking outside the box.

Let’s speculate.

DCE would have made a great 9, still might, maybe? (His certainly a special player, but game manager and chief play maker he is not, his age doesn’t seem to slow him down and there is a solid argument that mature halves are a better option (young Kotoa says hello) which raises questions to where he offers the best value to our side, especially in context of Manlys current squad, SOO, yes he can play half and it works perfectly, but it’s not yielding the same results for Manly.

Rubes is a first class winger, amongst the top shelf, not sure why we have seemingly weakened one position to persist with this experiment when we potentially have other options that have the potential to make us a better footy side, guess it deserves a little more time, but seriously it is a questionable experiment at best.

Koula is wasted at centre, a touch to small for the position and could be Dynamic at 1, has the skill and speed to play a similar game to Walsh, Kennedy, etc with the potential to make us a better side, we got a window into the possible late last season. But then there’s Tom, we can’t upset Tom, his Bipolar enough, could you imagine if he didn’t and clearly doesn’t want to play centre, boom he is on record as wanting to play one.

Tom is a great player but you have to ask, wouldn’t he strengthen our side at 4 and unleash a wasted talent at 1, he will be playing 4 in Origin, he can’t displace Teddy and shouldn’t be picked in front of Edward’s, but as a centre, who would you pick in front of him? So when we have a potentially explosive number 1 in our own ranks tell me why Manly stick to the current status quo? Tom’s lost the pace to be that dynamic No 1, his still an out and out superstar and someone you want in your side, I love the bloke, but just think Manly can be a better footy side with him at 4, he has the potential to be a Joey Manu type, possibly better.

Quac is another, love him as a player, but I’d like to see him in the middle, he has the potential to be our Big dog, JFH or AFB type prop freeing up space to get some speed and mobility on the edges while improving the very same in the middle. He can make an impact from a standing start, gains post contact meters, can play big minutes, could easily develop his offload to create second phase play from one of our middles and be given license to drift out on occasion to hit the edges similar to what Leota does for the riff. Quac has the tendency to go missing during games. I think he would bring super value as a big minute prop and help balance out our side, maybe even become the No 1 prop in the game, it’s the modern way, speed up or make up the numbers.

If we were serious about winning a premiership we should be chasing 2 edge forwards to change the dynamic of our pack, I know you can’t have every superstar but it doesn’t seem to stop other sides from trying, players like Fifita and Crichton should be on our radar, what ever Shoes contract was, these pair aren’t that far away. Our pack is too slow and maybe too big, it’s definitely not a well balance pack.

We have the backs to be competitive, perhaps even dominate if used to their full potential, but in saying that they can only play off the back of our pack and it’s sadly out of balance and unable to play that up tempo game, we gas without the ball and struggle to remain competitive for 80 minutes least of all on a week in week out basis, especially in respect to playing with line speed and mobility.

Tom‘s not a Myth, his a talent and we should be building our side around him for the next few years while we have him, get our pack right and have Koula firing out the back with Tom playing a roving roll around our three quarter line and we have the potential to place ourselves in the hunt for a premiership. Sadly with the current status quo we are just making up the numbers at best. It’s a tough one, not for the faint hearted, but if being honest, does our current side make an impact on the comp (we maybe lucky to make the. 8) and more importantly can we compete in Sep? Answer, probably not, can we improve our side and give it a shot, definitely. Oh and if we want to play touch footy and make the most of this season with what we have then get Koula to one, Tom into the backline at 4 and really go after that style of play, currently we are to predictable, every side is ready for what’s coming.
Great post !
Totally agree with your summation.
This would be my lineup going forward for the rest of the season -
Koula
Saab, Turbo, Tolau, Garrick
Brooks
DCE
Brown (Aloia)
Burbo
Quac
Paseka, (Lodge)
Humphreys (Croker)
Jake (Sipley)

DCE and Humphreys could also swap at times to give Humphreys experience at half.
Would like to see Turbo/Burbo centre pairing,but we have a distinct lack of second row defensive backup with Waddell and Bullemore a maybe only.
Most of Schuster money will go to upgrades , but what is left we need for a good defensive second rower.

Let’s speculate.

Or, in Seibold-speak, we need to put our weapons in positions where they are able to elevate their games and achieve their optimum potential, allowing us to break out of the cluster of mid-table teams by narrowing the gap between our best games and our worst. Oh, and success isn't a straight line, key indicators are key, something, something, something…

A lot of hype on Koula at fullback.

Not saying he couldnt be great but he played two games against the awful Tigers and Bulldogs both out of finals contention.

He is no lay down misere to be a gun fullback.

A lot of hype on Koula at fullback.

Not saying he couldnt be great but he played two games against the awful Tigers and Bulldogs both out of finals contention.

He is no lay down misere to be a gun fullback.
No lay down by any chance, there’s only one way to find out though and unfortunately that seems unlikely.

Tom would definitely be an upgrade at centre, Koula has the qualities for the job, his speed, puts his body into his defensive work, just think we could achieve a stronger side.

Koula would need to be given a fair go, Walsh didn’t turn up over night, anyway can’t see any of it happening so wont be loosing any sleep over it, it’s not like I’m unhappy with Tom at 1, Rubes at 4 and Koula at 3, just like to see how we’d go with Tolu’s speed out the back and the bigger body of Tom at 4, oh and Tom and Saab work nicely together, might get Saab back into the game, he seems to be lacking opportunities since Rubes shifted.

Let’s speculate.

Guac to the middle is a fantastic idea. This would be revolutionary.

We can also all see how good Turbo is at centre, and how much x-factor Koula could bring to the FB position at this stage in his career.

Great post. Unfortunately, as you say, egos, salaries, and reputations will never allow for this, nor do we have a coach with the confidence to pull it off.

Last edited:
I'm againt the grain here.

I think Koula to fullback, Tom to Centre and Haumole to middle weakens us.

Not sure Koala has the ball playing or the voice to take on fullback at the stage.

Haumole is an attacking weapon, to put him in the middle as a battering ram wastes him IMO

I'm againt the grain here.

I think Koula to fullback, Tom to Centre and Haumole to middle weakens us.

Not sure Koala has the ball playing or the voice to take on fullback at the stage.

Haumole is an attacking weapon, to put him in the middle as a battering ram wastes him IMO
I think that’s one of the concerns with Koula at the back is does he have the passing game at the moment, only seen glimpses of him there last season however his speed and footwork are major attributes for a fullback.

If Tom gets picked for origin we will get a few more games with Koula at the back, though Brooks and Tom along with the coaches need to get Koula into one on one situations, not having a creative number 9 is not helping Brooks and Tom there either as the opposition are sliding 90% of the time with the ball going to our attacking left.

Let’s speculate.

I’ve always thought guac would make a good lock. His late footwork could cause havoc in the middle. I do think he’s a real weapon attacking high kicks on the edge though.

Members online

No members online now.

Latest posts

Team P W L PD Pts
10 9 1 124 20
9 7 2 72 16
9 7 2 49 16
11 7 4 59 14
9 6 3 57 14
10 6 4 -10 14
11 6 5 107 12
11 6 5 -9 12