1995-97, 2007-08 or 2011-12 team?

• We had an issue with background services between march 10th and 15th or there about. This meant the payment services were not linking to automatic upgrades. If you paid for premium membership and are still seeing ads please let me know and the email you used against PayPal and I cam manually verify and upgrade your account.
Napper said:
Who would you all rate a better team. 08 or 11? Most players played in both but who would you rather playing for your life?

Hoppa Junior over Wolfman
T-Rex over Glenn Hall
Foz/DCE over Orford/Steve Bell.
Jamie Lyon has to be in the centres.

Kiwi Eagle said:
08, more experienced and battle hardened, Stewart pre knee injuries good enough to keep Slater at bay, Beaver in the side as well

Wolf in form of his life. I agree. The Dominance the 08 side showed throughout the finals was crazy. Every pack they came up against was done in the first 10. Brutal stuff i'll never forget it.

Jimmy Jazz said:
Napper said:
Who would you all rate a better team. 08 or 11? Most players played in both but who would you rather playing for your life?

T-Rex over Glenn Hall

The halves combo was better last yr but in the finals games in 08 we leaked about ten points and scored nearly 100. With no disresoect to the 2011 side 08 weee Far more dominant

Just double checked. Manly v saints nz and storm we scored 110 and let in 12. Incredible.

Napper said:
Kiwi Eagle said:
08, more experienced and battle hardened, Stewart pre knee injuries good enough to keep Slater at bay, Beaver in the side as well

Wolf in form of his life. I agree. The Dominance the 08 side showed throughout the finals was crazy. Every pack they came up against was done in the first 10. Brutal stuff i'll never forget it.

Jimmy Jazz said:
Napper said:

T-Rex over Glenn Hall

The halves combo was better last yr but in the finals games in 08 we leaked about ten points and scored nearly 100. With no disresoect to the 2011 side 08 weee Far more dominant

Just double checked. Manly v saints nz and storm we scored 110 and let in 12. Incredible.

I wonder if 110-12 is a record in finals football. Even more amazing considering we only converted 50% of tries (11 from 22).
If 110-12 is not a record then 22 tries to 2 would be damn hard to beat.

Jimmy Jazz said:
Napper said:
Kiwi Eagle said:

Jimmy Jazz said:
Napper said:

T-Rex over Glenn Hall

I wonder if 110-12 is a record in finals football. Even more amazing considering we only converted 50% of tries (11 from 22).

I lived all those teams & this current one gives me the most joy but my team would be

1. Ridge organiser kicker and a turban head
2. Robertson most underated winger of all time
3. Lyon no need to say anthing really
4. Inness best def centre I have ever seen
5. hoppa Jnr the things he could do speak for themselves
6. Cliffy only joey could get in his class
7. DCE toovey and hasler were tough - DCE is class (see lyon)
8. Roberts call him gay and hope to live
9. Ballin **** does he ever stop
10. Carrol none of this bum first **** just run
11. Menzies no explanation needed
12. Stewart see above
13. Kosef see above

14. Choc even though i hate mundine (just kidding)
15. Cement lol @ kite (no offence)
16. Garts class always
17. Toovey can play 3 positions in spine = winner

I watched them all but really if i wanted to be harsh id add WArd from the 87 team and probably crusher as well.

Long live Manly

Jimmy Jazz said:
Napper said:
Kiwi Eagle said:

Jimmy Jazz said:
Napper said:

T-Rex over Glenn Hall

Yeah surely it is. To only let 2 in is awesome. Then to score 22 is massive.

Comparing Mathew Ridge & Brett Stewart is impossible. Both Manly legends but complete different Full-Backs.

I think over time Daly Cherry-Evans might be Manly's greatest Half-Back & Kieran Foran up there with Cliff Lyons.

The 1996 Premieship winning Manly team might still hold the record of the best defensive team of points to have conceded per match for the season. 1995 & 1996 had a great forward pack.

I'm torn between Ridge and Snake,

But however i'd go with Ridge, he's my all time favourite player and his defence and organisational skills were out of this world.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TXZI8T92_V4

Good video on Ridgey when he came into league. Nice cameo from Des and Tooves!

The 2011 Grand Final team if I had to pick one team, had the best back line. I think D.C.Evans, K.Foran & W.Hopoate are something special. Possibles greats of the game. The 1995-1996 team was the best over all.

Its hard to say which team I enjoyed watching the most cause they all made me proud but here's a few memorable players that springs to mind:

1970's
Bill Hamilton, Bozo, Igor, wombat, Ray Branighan, Ken Irvine, Krilich, Zorba, Thommo, Steve Martin, Russel Gartner, Johnny Gibbs.

1980's
Blake Brothers, Fat, Ribot, Rambo Gibbs, Rowdy, Cliffy, Crusher, Dessie, boustead, siggy, O'connor.

1990's
Kosef, Beaver, Toovs, Ridgy, Danny Moore, Innes, Iro Brothers, Spud, cement,Ian Roberts, the scintillating sensation Terry Hill, Hoppa...........

Well and the current 08, 11 team are just awesome.

Lucky Lucky to have seen 5 decades of manly players:rolleyes:

Napper said:

Are you Kidding 40- NIL against the drizzles says it all:sleepy:

1. M Ridge
2. M Robertson
3. J Lyon
4. S Matai
5. B Stewart
6. C Lyons
7. G Toovey
8. D Gillespie
9. M Ballin
10. M Caroll
11. S Menzies
12. A Watmough
13. G Stewart

14. N Kosef
15. I Roberts
16. B Kite
17. D Hasler

Coach. R Fulton

I had to pick both Ridge and Stewart in my team, it's impossible for me to separate them. I've named Stewart on the wing due to his speed.

I found it hard to leave Terry Hill out, but Matai has two premierships to his name and that got him over the line.

Toovey or Cherry-Evans was a hard choice. In the end I picked Toovey at half instead of hooker and Ballin with his two premierships as the hooker for this team.

The backrow decision was tough. We've been blessed with some great backrowers. Menzies has to wear the 11, it's iconic really and his combination with Lyons is the best I've ever seen. Watmough is just pure Manly passion, bleeds maroon and white and a must have for my side. Anyone who wins a Clive Churchill is an automatic selection in this team. G Stewart to start over Kosef at lock. Kosef adds better value on the bench being able to cover more positions than Stewart.

Fulton or Hasler as coach was another extremely tough decision. I've gone Fulton so that I could pick Hasler on my bench. Like Ridge & Stewart, both need to be apart of this team in some way.

My Manly Warringah Sea Eagles Team of 1995-2012 Period.

1. Mathew Ridge
2. Brett Stewart
3. Jamie Lyon
4. Terry Hill
5. William Hopoate
6. Cliff Lyons
7. Daly Cherry-Evans
8. David Gillespie
9. Geoff Toovey (C)
10. Mark Carroll
11. Steve Menzies
12. Anthony Watmough
13. Glenn Stewart

Interchange:
14. Kieran Foran
15. Brent Kite
16. Nik Kosef
17. Des Hasler

Coach: Bob Fulton

One of the greatest shames is that 95-97 team didn't win all 3 of those premierships and be able to hold its own as one of the greatest club sides of the modern era. In 96 we averaged something ridiculous like only 8 points against. I've never been that confident over the course of a season. That was pre-foxtel, pre-internet days but I remember listening to games on the radio and usually every second tackle was a huge hit from a Sea Eagle.

1 Graham Eadie
2 Michael Robertson
3 Jamie Lyon
4 Bob Fulton
5 Brett Stewart
6 Cliff Lyons
7 Daly Cherry-Evans
8 Ian Roberts
9 Geoff Toovey
10 Mark Carroll
11 Anthony Watmough
12 Steve Menzies
13 Glenn Stewart

14 Matt Ballin
15 Terry Randall
16 Malcolm Reilly
17 Owen Cunningham

The Eagle said:
1 Graham Eadie
2 Michael Robertson
3 Jamie Lyon
4 Bob Fulton
5 Brett Stewart
6 Cliff Lyons
7 Daly Cherry-Evans
8 Ian Roberts
9 Geoff Toovey
10 Mark Carroll
11 Anthony Watmough
12 Steve Menzies
13 Glenn Stewart

14 Matt Ballin
15 Terry Randall
16 Malcolm Reilly
17 Owen Cunningham
Topic is from the 1995 team to current. There are so many great players if you go back to the 1972, 1973, 1976, 1978 1982, 1983, 1987 Grand Final teams. We forget how good they were at the time. Noel Cleal, Michael O'Connor, Chris Close, Dale Shearer, Paul Vautin, Phil Blake, John Ribot, Alan Thompson, Max Krilich,
Les Boyd, Geoff Gerard, Ray Brown, Steve Martin, John Harvey, Bruce Walker, Russell Gartner & Ben Kennedy in more modern times.

To Join the Fun

1. B Stewart
2. Hopoate Jnr
3. Lyon
4. Innes
5. Robertson
6. Lyons
7. Toovey
8. Roberts
9. Ballin
10. Carroll
11. Menzies
12. G Stewart
13. Kosef

14. Foran (Stuff Hasler, Foz to cover Halves and hooker)
15. Watmough
16. Gartner
17. Gillespie

18.Ridge

stoodamire said:
I'm torn between Ridge and Snake,

But however i'd go with Ridge, he's my all time favourite player and his defence and organisational skills were out of this world.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TXZI8T92_V4

Good video on Ridgey when he came into league. Nice cameo from Des and Tooves!

I want one of those after match jumpers to wear in winter @ work they look so cool. Awesome video on ridge i was only young back then so it's good to see this now when i can actually take it all in. It is hard to say who is better i think if snake can recapture his form this year he will pip ridge for me.

The only thing ridge has over Brett is goal kicking. Both in attack and defense Brett is superior.

The thing you have to put in to perspective is the 1995-97 squad for the domination only got the job done once. Where as the players who were there in 08 and '11 have done it twice.

Cameron said:
The only thing ridge has over Brett is goal kicking. Both in attack and defense Brett is superior.

The thing you have to put in to perspective is the 1995-97 squad for the domination only got the job done once. Where as the players who were there in 08 and '11 have done it twice.
The Manly team of 1995-1997 dominated their competition as they were Minor Premiers for three years in a row. They won the 1996 Grand Final & should of won the 1997 Grand Final. They let the Newcastle Knights of the hook the way Manly dominated for the majority of match. In 1995 the Bulldogs were on a roll having beaten the Dragons, Broncos & Raiders in the semi-finals matches. Manly dominated the majority of the 1st half before the Bulldogs scored a try from a forward pass which you could see from Pluto. Then the Bulldogs scored a try from the 7th tackle & another forward pass. Ward was the ref for that Grand Final.

Latest posts

Team P W L PD Pts
5 4 1 23 10
5 4 1 14 10
6 4 2 48 8
6 4 2 28 8
5 3 2 25 8
5 3 2 14 8
6 3 2 38 7
6 3 2 21 7
6 3 3 37 6
6 3 3 16 6