1996 Retro Jersey

• We had an issue with background services between march 10th and 15th or there about. This meant the payment services were not linking to automatic upgrades. If you paid for premium membership and are still seeing ads please let me know and the email you used against PayPal and I cam manually verify and upgrade your account.
Kiwi Eagle link said:
Considering BK is in Greatest Manly side of all time he would make any team put together

I dont know KE, did you see the list Matas put together?

The mid 90's team is one of the best teams you are likely to ever see

The discussion was based on the current squad vs the 1990's list. I admit BK could get a spot if we widened the scope.

ManlyBacker link said:
Snake definitely, but who would be your kicker?

You don't rate Snoz O'Connor's goal kicking MB ? Who could forget him slotting over that goal from the sideline in Origin in the pouring rain. His success rate wasn't as high as Ridges I'll grant you that, but the trade off for Brett's try scoring ability would more than make up for a couple of missed goals. Anyway would only make the difference between this side winning 46-0 instead of 60-0.

As for BK making the side, probably more than likely he would. But the argument was who from the CURRENT squad would break into that 90's dream team. Wolfman may get a wing spot but he'd have to string together a couple of seasons of top class performances to prove he's not a flash in the pan.

Do you think Choc would get a spot, I mean Kosef's knee was already dicky in 96

Dan link said:
[quote author=Kiwi Eagle link=topic=180742.msg227718#msg227718 date=1245215503]
Considering BK is in Greatest Manly side of all time he would make any team put together

I dont know KE, did you see the list Matas put together?

The mid 90's team is one of the best teams you are likely to ever see
[/quote]

I grew up watching those sides, and they were great, but BK would have to make any side

A mark of the man is that he is in 2 clubs Greatest Ever sides

He was probably my worst ever call on Footy haha, I thought it was a dud signing when announced.

Chip & Chase link said:
[quote author=ManlyBacker link=topic=180742.msg227688#msg227688 date=1245197198]
Snake definitely, but who would be your kicker?

You don't rate Snoz O'Connor's goal kicking MB ? Who could forget him slotting over that goal from the sideline in Origin in the pouring rain. His success rate wasn't as high as Ridges I'll grant you that, but the trade off for Brett's try scoring ability would more than make up for a couple of missed goals. [/quote]

You are right - Ridgey is goneski. :)

Imagine Snake running off of Lyons! far out that would have just been try after try after try.

To be honest though I think each squad was balanced as it was. I don't know whether Stewart would add more to the team rather than level it out

brookiegreg link said:
Love this jersey and still have one from 1995 in going condition.

However I believe that they've got one fact slightly wrong and that this new jersey is the 1995-6 one 9worn in the 1995 GF loss against the berries) and not the jersey that the team wore in the 1996 grand final. The 1996 GF shirt featured the largeish blue world/oval Pepsi logo and not the red horizontal stripe pepsi logo which is being made now.

At the time I seem to remember the blue oval pepsi shirt coming out only weeks or days before the 1996 GF...but maybe memory is playing tricks??

Any thoughts - but regardless I love the new reto shirt! (yes the old one was cotton and so should the newie be too just like the fab 73 shirt)
You are right on the 96 jersey with the Blue Pepsi sponsor logo on it. This jersey was worn early in the 96 season. My memory (or nightmare) of the 95 grand final was that we wore the reverse jersey that day with the white at the top and maroon at the bottom. I still can't get over Eddie Ward's incompetence on that day that robbed us of any chance we had to beat those cheating dogs (not Berries - that changed 15 years before.)

Yep correct. Just ask any St George fan what jumper Ridgey was wearing when he got up from being "tackled" and continued on his merry way down field. LOL they never forget that... but you try and tell them how we were robbed by that incompetent fool in '95 with tries from forward passes and one on the 7th tackle and they don't want to know about it.

You are right on the 96 jersey with the Blue Pepsi sponsor logo on it. This jersey was worn early in the 96 season. My memory (or nightmare) of the 95 grand final was that we wore the reverse jersey that day with the white at the top and maroon at the bottom. I still can't get over Eddie Ward's incompetence on that day that robbed us of any chance we had to beat those cheating dogs (not Berries - that changed 15 years before.)
[/quote]

Nice one Canteen re the Berries haha - I still call em that to my Bulldog mates and it gets them squirming every time.

1995 GF - right from the first seconds when Jim Sedaris dropped that opening ball cold I had a baaaaad feeling. Manly had the team to win well but were playing catchup it seemed and never got into top gear.

So what about 2009? Berries/Bulldogs to be in the Grand Final?? Whadderya reckon folks?

brookiegreg link said:
[quote author=Canteen Worker link=topic=180742.msg227792#msg227792 date=1245224039]
[/quote]

Nice one Canteen re the Berries haha - I still call em that to my Bulldog mates and it gets them squirming every time.

1995 GF - right from the first seconds when Jim Sedaris dropped that opening ball cold I had a baaaaad feeling. Manly had the team to win well but were playing catchup it seemed and never got into top gear.

So what about 2009? Berries/Bulldogs to be in the Grand Final?? Whadderya reckon folks?
[/quote]  The 1995 GF would have had a different ending had we scored the opening try which was cruelled by the professional foul by Terry Lamb.  Yes he was binned for it, but the 6 points were priceless.  I hate Lamb, I wish Beaver had made 350 games to excise the grub from the record books.

ManlyBacker link said:
I would swap Tooves and Des as well. At their best this line-up is easily in front of the current squad.
  I toyed with that.  But in the end the 1990s were all about Tooves remonstrating with the referees from dummy half and I decided we needed him at 9 because that was important to our success. 

Dan link said:
Do you think Choc would get a spot, I mean Kosef's knee was already dicky in 96
  I really hope you're joking Dan.  Kosef would probably have gone down as the greatest backrower in our history if not for injury.  He was the complete player.  Size, speed, toughness and breathtaking ball skills (that Beaver didn't have). 

Choc is not worthy of doing up Kosef's bootlaces.

the game is a lot faster now than back then so the forwards especially props are playing a different game with all the extra wrestling etc so its hard to judge.

That said most of those players all played origin which was extremely quick so who knows but at the end of the say both sides have won the same amount of premierships and only 1 has the potential to improve on that.

I got the jersey we wore in that GF, and apart from the large blue Pepsi logo, the ARL logo had changed to the Optus Cup too.

I know we wore the older one during  most of the season but I don't know how the club can say it's the GF jersey.  No bother, even with the red and blue, that design still looks awesome

I picked up the 40 years of RLW the other day, and read in that Peter Moore admitting that they cheated the salary cap and that won them the Winfield Cup

They didn't register some of the contracts, which allowed them to sign Rod Silva mid season, and without him they wouldn't have gone as far was his admission

Latest posts

Team P W L PD Pts
3 3 0 48 6
3 2 1 45 4
3 2 1 28 4
3 2 1 22 4
3 2 1 15 4
3 2 1 14 4
2 1 1 13 4
3 2 1 10 4
2 1 1 6 4
3 2 1 -3 4