2 NRL clubs in serious danger of folding

• We had an issue with background services between march 10th and 15th or there about. This meant the payment services were not linking to automatic upgrades. If you paid for premium membership and are still seeing ads please let me know and the email you used against PayPal and I cam manually verify and upgrade your account.
Sydney has too many. It will be trauma for some because for most of the 100 years history of the game the Sydney comp was the 'big league'.

Saints will survive, Souths will survive, one team/entity from the west and one from the north (Manly!)

One other club at most could be viable in the medium term (based on detailed economic and demograhic analysis of my gut feeling*)

therefore my guess is
1. that dogs, eels, and tigers will all be under some pressure and some amalgamation/relocation is quite possible
2. roosters may survive due to influence but only at the expense of one of those western sydney teams

I'd be amazed if Newcastle was abandoned, ditto Canberra in fact all the one-team towns.
(*may not be 100% accurate I had a big lunch)

Don't we all go down this path every season?  Telegraph talk to get us all interested in buying a paper.  Waste of time.

DSM5 link said:
I think if it is the Gummies that have to fold, they'll relocate to the CC.  Phew for us.  Gallop and his crew operate on a cost benefit analysis method, which doesn't include the fans.  he thinks that by relocating  there will be the automatic people base to follow whatever team goes there.  The guys a complete nutcase.  If a team is relocated, they'll pick up the 8 million, and then go bust, as the NE did.  For a team to be successful wherever it goes, it has to be a completley new entity and grow a local following, not some supplanted animal. (or fish as it would seem)     

Agree DSM5 I'm not sure if a relocated team would work ? you would think people would want their own team formed from the ground up which represents their area and not a ready made team.

eagle_predator link said:
[quote author=DSM5 link=topic=179833.msg215401#msg215401 date=1237960184]
I think if it is the Gummies that have to fold, they'll relocate to the CC.  Phew for us.  Gallop and his crew operate on a cost benefit analysis method, which doesn't include the fans.  he thinks that by relocating  there will be the automatic people base to follow whatever team goes there.  The guys a complete nutcase.  If a team is relocated, they'll pick up the 8 million, and then go bust, as the NE did.  For a team to be successful wherever it goes, it has to be a completley new entity and grow a local following, not some supplanted animal. (or fish as it would seem)     

Agree DSM5 I'm not sure if a relocated team would work ? you would think people would want their own team formed from the ground up which represents their area and not a ready made team.
[/quote]

I don't agree I for one would support Manly no matter what ground they played from, what I had a hard time swallowing was the beagles.

One team in Western Sydney is would be a terrible mistake. The population demands at least two, maybe three teams out of : Tigers/Panthers/Bulldogs/Eels. Liverpool/Campbelltown need to be serviced as does the Parramatta/Penrith area. St George/Cronulla/Canterbury would from an incredibly strong team as well.
Souths and Easts need to get together as well.

1 - North Shore
2 - Sydney (Souths/Easts)
3 - South-West (Cronulla/St George/Canterbury)
4 - Wests Tigers (Campbelltown/Liverpool...time to stop the Leichardt games and give these huge areas a full-time team)
5 - Parramatta Panthers (Parra/Penrith)

missing_something link said:
[quote author=eagle_predator link=topic=179833.msg215474#msg215474 date=1237973236]
[quote author=DSM5 link=topic=179833.msg215401#msg215401 date=1237960184]

[/quote]

I don't agree I for one would support Manly no matter what ground they played from, what I had a hard time swallowing was the beagles.

[/quote]I'm with you on supporting Manly at whatever ground they play on but if a team's not based in an area they'll start changing names and create a whole new identity and fan base. If you take the Sea Eagles away from the northern beaches then they won't be Manly. That Northern Eagles business really sucked.

niccipops link said:
There's an origami club in serious danger of folding!

I just love corny corny jokes and thats a beauty. It deserves 2 applauds to balance Dans obvious and complete lack of a sense of humour.

I am not in favour of engineering a comp. Every team deserves to be in the comp and should be in control of their own destiny. If a team goes broke like Newtown or Norths that is another matter. If there are too many teams in Sydney, let one die of its own accord. If they can pay their bills, let them stay.

What I don't want to see is the shutting down of a traditional club just to get a new team in Perth, Adelaide or even the Central Coast.

The comments from Rothfield re Manly and others are only based on gut feeling and the impression that we are being bailed out each year by our owners. He doesn't have the full figures!!!

Canteen Worker link said:
The comments from Rothfield re Manly and others are only based on gut feeling and the impression that we are being bailed out each year by our owners. He doesn't have the full figures!!!
I made a post asking exactly that question - whether what Rothfield was saying was speculation or if he had evidence to support his statements.  It didn't get posted.  Surprised?  The comments that get posted are the ones that suit the papers. 

Freedom of the press when media ownership is limited = freedom of the press to censor opposing views.

And few people see how public opinion and mood are controlled and manipulated each day by a few media powerbrokers.

Meanwhile us plebs continue thinking we are in control of our thoughts.

Rex link said:
[quote author=Canteen Worker link=topic=179833.msg215497#msg215497 date=1237982863]
I made a post asking exactly that question - whether what Rothfield was saying was speculation or if he had evidence to support his statements.  It didn't get posted.  Surprised?  The comments that get posted are the ones that suit the papers. 

Freedom of the press when media ownership is limited = freedom of the press to censor opposing views.

And few people see how public opinion and mood are controlled and manipulated each day by a few media powerbrokers.

Meanwhile us plebs continue thinking we are in control of our thoughts.
[/quote]

Thats just what they want you to believe.

A perspective from Victoria - interesting to note that all the doom and gloom surrounding the Victorian clubs if you go back 5 years appear to have lifted.  This year's Top 8 is likely to be dominated by Victorian clubs and some of the giants are in the mix - ironically the game is bouyant, expectation for tonight's opener was huge and .....

hey presto, it' pretty hard to find any takers for a club that might get cut.  All the talk down here is of the expansion to 18 clubs. 

wasn't the demons or someone borderline for going under financially toward the end of last year matas?

It's a shot game anyway you look at it

Today's Telegraph basically said that Aussie Home Loans have bailed out Collingwood to the tune of nearly 4 million and without the money they were in desperate straights. Eddie Mcguire was the source of the article.

Matabele link said:
A perspective from Victoria - interesting to note that all the doom and gloom surrounding the Victorian clubs if you go back 5 years appear to have lifted.  This year's Top 8 is likely to be dominated by Victorian clubs and some of the giants are in the mix - ironically the game is bouyant, expectation for tonight's opener was huge and .....

hey presto, it' pretty hard to find any takers for a club that might get cut.  All the talk down here is of the expansion to 18 clubs. 

Matas I think you should leave the "Victorian perspective" to us permanent residents ;)

I'll give you a call when we need the "Dubbo perspective" !

Team P W L PD Pts
5 4 1 23 10
5 4 1 14 10
6 4 2 48 8
6 4 2 28 8
5 3 2 25 8
5 3 2 14 8
6 3 2 38 7
6 3 2 21 7
6 3 3 37 6
6 3 3 16 6
6 3 3 -13 6