2017 Team Discussion

• We had an issue with background services between march 10th and 15th or there about. This meant the payment services were not linking to automatic upgrades. If you paid for premium membership and are still seeing ads please let me know and the email you used against PayPal and I cam manually verify and upgrade your account.
01. Brett Stewart
02. Jorge Taufua
03. Steve Matai
04. Tom Trbojevic
05. Akuila Uate
06. Dylan Walker
07. Daly Cherry-Evans
08. Jake Trbojevic
09. Matt Parcell
10. Darcy Lussick
11. Marty Taupau
12. Lewis Brown
13. Jamie Buhrer

14. Apisai Koroisou
15. Addin Fanua-Blake
16. Siosaia Vave/ Brenton Lawrence
17. Nate Myles

Good call, Lawrence is definitely ahead of Myles, but I don't think walker @ pivot is a good idea. Hopefully snake retires, otherwise walker & Blake green will complicate things. Man I would've love to see Parcell & 6, carves up when in space!

Yeah, but what about the coach? He only has a 30% something win ratio don't you know. :) doesn't matter who's in the team.

That's for Kelly & Penn to decide. That's the whole point of that particular debate. Coaches who have those types of numbers given their relative points in their careers usually spell doom. I personally hope not.

As I said in that thread (a few times), I'm happy to support Barrett (and be an advocate), but that still doesn't detract that I'm brutally disappointed in the results this season (despite all the excuses you make for the team). The difference between you and I, is that I show the players enough respect to know they can be better. You just excuse their performances by creating various excuses.

Not sure why you're so negative, and have such low expectations about your club, players and depth tbh.

You would have made an amazing North Sydney bears fan. So, so negative Terry. Want more for your team mate. Don't settle. It's disrespectful to them.

Sheesh - can't you recognize sarcasm when you see it. Take a chill pill. And please stop questioning my loyalty/expectations/whatever.

I understand it was sarcasm mate. I just think you have a misconception of where I was coming from is all. Not trying to be argumentative at all.

I don't question your loyalty one bit, or for one second. You obviously are a die hard. All I'm saying, is that with any opportunity you get, you lay the slipper into me because you say I'm habitually negative.

From my perspective, it's quite the opposite. I still think we have the depth, quality, spine, forwards, halves to have come top 4 despite the injuries, because I believe they are that good. That's where my disappointment stems Terry.

Apologies though - re-reading what I wrote was pretty narcy, and that wasn't my intention. Just trying to state my case on the way I see the club, and how I support it, because I want to lose the "negative fan" label. I must come across poorly, because I'm really not (I hope / think).

Tapau has been passable but Walker has not lived up to the hype. The most surprising recruit, imo, has been Api. I admire his enthusiasm.

Marty ( 26 ) & Walker ( 21 ) are both on 4 year deals 'til 2019 - so maybe we can reserve judgement for another year or so.
Api is on for 3 years.

I know we are not used to rebuilding but with Tom, Jake, Ferris, DCE, Darcy there's half your squad right there.

Yes really struggled so far, especially with Walker and Tapau etc
Yeah you are right...the former is a problem free player and the latter is such a role model who uses phrases like 'rats ass' to the media...classy. Still, I guess it beats punching doors.

I think Manly has the basis of a seriously competitive side. But I look where Manly needs to make changes. At present there are some positions set

1. T.T
2. ? maybe Taufua after his op
3. Walker
4. ? Maybe Matai if the op goes well
5. ? maybe Parker or in centre
6. Green but only temporarily
7. DCE
8. Lussick
9. Parcell
10. Fonoa-Blake
11. Buhrer
12. Taupua
13. Jake T.

14. Lawrence if op goes well
15. Api
16 ?
17 ?

There are big gaps there in the forward line up that need answers. For me Jamil Hopoate is a must for one of those positions given he has been the standout in NSW Cup side. Knight should be another while Tom Wright needs to be brought up to the wing to prepare him for 5/8 in a year or so. Maybe one big forward of some repute but the rest, young potential stars to bring through the Manly ranks. I think such a team would succeed by 2018-19.

I think Manly has the basis of a seriously competitive side. But I look where Manly needs to make changes. At present there are some positions set

1. T.T
2. ? maybe Taufua after his op
3. Walker
4. ? Maybe Matai if the op goes well
5. ? maybe Parker or in centre
6. Green but only temporarily
7. DCE
8. Lussick
9. Parcell
10. Fonoa-Blake
11. Buhrer
12. Taupua
13. Jake T.

14. Lawrence if op goes well
15. Api
16 ?
17 ?

There are big gaps there in the forward line up that need answers. For me Jamil Hopoate is a must for one of those positions given he has been the standout in NSW Cup side. Knight should be another while Tom Wright needs to be brought up to the wing to prepare him for 5/8 in a year or so. Maybe one big forward of some repute but the rest, young potential stars to bring through the Manly ranks. I think such a team would succeed by 2018-19.

I agree side above. Would be great to add Gillette and afosfa to that and im happy for manly to go after whare. Not concerned about his injuries. Whare is a classy center and very strong defender.

Would love manly to go hard for someone like adam reynolds next year. Put him at half and dce to 5/8 in 2018 Thats the half we need!
Great passing and kicking and goal kicker.

Brayden Williame doesn't seem too popular on here but I wouldn't be so quick to write him off. Given time I think he could be a solid 1st grade centre.
Fire away !
Williame is probably the worst centre manly have had since Jorgen Rogers and Neville Elwin

He cannot pass, can't tackle and has no speed. The only thing he appears to have are goat photos of Barrett

Whoever re-signed him for another two years has obviously never watched him play

Wright is no better as he cannot pass and has no pace. Makes the odd tackle but is generally reserve grade standard

koroisau is rubbish and misses vital tackles which invariably lead to tries. Starling has always been a plodder and Lewis brown is just plain ****in hopeless

Manly will never make the semis with those players in the team

Last edited:
If we only have one change next year it's for a 5/8 to help DCE, is best games in 2016 have been when Lyon was beside him.

Walker is NOT a 5/8

Besides in 2017 we don't have Lyon, and Walkershould take his place.

If we could add a few forwards , Gillett / Solomona are two we are supposedly chasing we'd go from bottom 4 potential to bottom 4 of the 8 potential.

No he is a great back up but will never be NRL quality

Willame is a pretty decent centre as is Brayden Wright. But I wouldnt say they are match winners. Worth holding onto as backups but I would go for Parker, Whare, or even TT with T. Wright at fullback. Same applies to Starling, a good backup but not sure he's a consistent first grader. Manly needs a bit more speed and grunt in their game. They need to take the pressure off TT and DCE. Parcell does this to an extent when he's on the field, but they need more penetration in the centres like Matai and Lyon were giving them

On another tangent - did anyone catch the Raiders Viking clap? I understand they stole it from an Icelandic team but it still was quite amazing to watch.

Surely someone on Silvertails can come up with some chant equally as good for Brookvale in 2017. That sort of stuff creates an atmosphere. Brings the crowds in. Creates a Fortress again.

You've only gotta watch the premier league and see how into it their crowds get.

Surely someone's got something?
The Buhrer salute???

Willame is a pretty decent centre as is Brayden Wright. But I wouldnt say they are match winners. Worth holding onto as backups but I would go for Parker, Whare, or even TT with T. Wright at fullback. Same applies to Starling, a good backup but not sure he's a consistent first grader. Manly needs a bit more speed and grunt in their game. They need to take the pressure off TT and DCE. Parcell does this to an extent when he's on the field, but they need more penetration in the centres like Matai and Lyon were giving them
Brayden Wright sounds like our worst nightmare A cross between Williame and Wright Noooooo

Willaime is probably the worst centre manly have had since Jorgen Rogers and Neville Elwin

He cannot pass, can't tackle and has no speed. The only thing he appears to have are goat photos of Barrett

Whoever re-signed him for another two years has obviously never watched him play

Wright is no better as he cannot pass either and has no pace. Makes the odd tackle but is generally reserve grade standard

koroisau is rubbish an misses vital tackles which invariably lead to tries. Starling has always been a plodder and Lewis brown is just plain ****in hopeless

Manly will never make the semis with those players in the team

Fair enough !
I put myself out there to cop the backlash.

I thought Williame made a few good breaks yesterday, one almost resulting in a try under the posts from DCE and he's been improving with each game in the centres.
Maybe it's me wanting to see him succeed because he was/is the Hex and he's had to struggle in an injured team to get his first 1st grade win.

I just see a bit of Darrell Williams in his game and was hoping he can go to that next level.

Williame bombed two certain tries by not passing to an unmarked Tafua and his forward pass to Tom T which cost us the game.

Lelua ran over him all game and it was the same last week when the storm played down his side of the field all game

Brayden you are the weakest link Good bye

Williame bombed two certain tries by not passing to an unmarked Tafua and his forward pass to Tom T which cost us the game.

Lelua ran over him all game and it was the same last week when the storm played down his side of the field all game

Brayden you are the weakest link Good bye

I really thought Williame was coming good. He's played less than 50 games remember. Still got plenty of development to go. I think we may sign some Uate, Mead types this off season (and I'm really hoping Matai plays on) so I DO think he's going to be up against it making the team.

That said, I have no problems with him coming in as injury cover, and in fact, I'd say in that role, he'd be one of the better support players in the NRL.

I remember last year many people poo-pooing the idea of Maloney even being made an offer by manly. I guess good judgement and this site doesn't compute.

Hi Guys,

There has been alot of talk regarding players signing with Manly for 2017 and beyond. Obviously with the amount of players we have shed some signings need to follow.
I have heard we are after players such as Green, Gillette, Moa, Uate, Mead, Whare, Hiku.
Are any of these players actually close to putting pen to paper or are they just rumours?
I believe we have quite a few positions to fill for next year. Surely the club must now know that players like Williame, Wright, Brown and Myles do not belong in our starting 17.

Give me your thoughts on the signings and is there any players I have missed?

2017 line up
1.Turbo
2. Tafua
3. Walker
4. Matai (need good cover player will be out half the season)
5. ??? new signing
6. ??? new signing
7. One million doller dud
8. Lussick
9. Parcell ( not sure if we can win a premiership with him there)
10. ??? signing
11. Buhrer
12. Tapau
13. Trbojevic
14. ??? new signing
15. ??? new signing
16. Fonua Blake
17. Meehan

18. Api
19. Lane
20. Myles

101. Williame