2020 hooker (and Fainu disc.)

• We had an issue with background services between march 10th and 15th or there about. This meant the payment services were not linking to automatic upgrades. If you paid for premium membership and are still seeing ads please let me know and the email you used against PayPal and I cam manually verify and upgrade your account.
  • We have been getting regular requests for users who have been locked out of their accounts because they have changed email adresses over the lifetime of their accounts. Please make sure the email address under your account is your current and correct email address in order to avoid this in the future. You can set your email address at https://silvertails.net/account/account-details
  • Wwe are currently experience some server issues which I am working through and hoping to resolve soon, Please bare with me whilst I work through making some changes and possible intermittent outages.
  • Apologies all our server was runing rogue. I managed to get us back to a point from 2:45 today though there is an attachment issue i will fix shortly. Things should be smooth now though

Cust or Croker for hooker 2020 if Nas is out

• Cust

Votes: 47 32.4%
  • Crocker

Votes: 16 11.0%
  • Zach Dockar-Clay

• Fainu

• Levi

Votes: 50 34.5%

• Total voters

Leho

Reserve Grader
Premium Member
NRL 2020: Who will play hooker for Manly Sea Eagles? Can Edwin Ipape can replace Manase Fainu?
The answer to Manly’s hooking emergency may have arrived in the form of an unheralded youngster with no NRL experience. He’s already won over the NRL club’s coaching staff.
Matt Logue, The Daily Telegraph
Subscriber only
|
January 7, 2020 4:43pm

DAILYTELEGRAPH.COM.AU2:37
NRL players to watch in 2020
The 2020 NRL season is fast approaching; here are some players to keep an eye on this year.
NRL auditor has final say on Latrell contract
Power rankings: Time for Parra to show some backbone
Meet the Papua New Guinea-born speedster who is set to save Manly in the midst of the club’s hooker crisis.

Utility Edwin Ipape has received a trial at the Sea Eagles after starring in PNG’s stunning win over Great Britain last November with a scintillating solo try.

Manly coach Des Hasler was so impressed with Ipape’s speed in the Kumuls’ shock win over the Lions that he has invited him to train this summer.

According to Sea Eagles insiders, the 20-year-old has excelled in training with his application and willingness to learn.

Ipape is shaping as the perfect replacement for Manase Fainu, who is suspended under the NRL’s ‘no-fault’ stand-down policy after being hit with three charges relating to a stabbing.

Fainu is also battling a shoulder injury, which could sideline him for weeks.

Legendary Manly hooker Max Krilich believes this could open the door for Ipape to make his NRL debut, only a year after playing his football in PNG with local team, the Lae Snax Tigers.

One of Manly’s all-time great players, Max Krilich, is already a fan..

“He is a work in progress, like a lot of those young guys coming out of Papua New Guinea at the moment, but under Des’s tutelage I think he will go very well,” said Krilich, who played 215 games for Manly between 1970-83.

“He is obviously a talent given he has played for PNG, so hopefully he will come through now.

“It is a big step playing week-in and week-out NRL. Some kids can handle it, and other kids can’t, but he will get the coaching from Des and he won’t be thrown to the wolves.

“I’ve got a wrap on him though. I watched him play a number of games last season, including that try he scored for PNG.

“There are a lot of good players coming through from Papua New Guinea and hopefully he can be another one. We’ll just have to wait and see.”

Krilich is particularly impressed with Ipape’s quickness out of dummy half.

He believes the PNG star’s pace will be the key to him succeeding in the NRL long-term.

“You are blessed if you have speed,” he said about Ipape, who played last season for Wynnum Manly in the Queensland Cup.

“All the good teams have a quality dummy half. Look at the Roosters, Melbourne and Canberra.

“They all have fantastic dummy halves.”

Manly defied the critics last season to finish in sixth position after the regular season before bowing out in the semi-finals.

Krilich expects the Sea Eagles to continue their rise in 2020 under Hasler.

“I can see them jumping up a few more spots this year and in a few years’ time we can compete for a premiership,” he said.

“Des did a great job with the side last season, so they can do it again

Mitch

Bencher
NRL 2020: Who will play hooker for Manly Sea Eagles? Can Edwin Ipape can replace Manase Fainu?
The answer to Manly’s hooking emergency may have arrived in the form of an unheralded youngster with no NRL experience. He’s already won over the NRL club’s coaching staff.
Matt Logue, The Daily Telegraph
Subscriber only
|
January 7, 2020 4:43pm

DAILYTELEGRAPH.COM.AU2:37
NRL players to watch in 2020
The 2020 NRL season is fast approaching; here are some players to keep an eye on this year.
NRL auditor has final say on Latrell contract
Power rankings: Time for Parra to show some backbone
Meet the Papua New Guinea-born speedster who is set to save Manly in the midst of the club’s hooker crisis.

Utility Edwin Ipape has received a trial at the Sea Eagles after starring in PNG’s stunning win over Great Britain last November with a scintillating solo try.

Manly coach Des Hasler was so impressed with Ipape’s speed in the Kumuls’ shock win over the Lions that he has invited him to train this summer.

According to Sea Eagles insiders, the 20-year-old has excelled in training with his application and willingness to learn.

Ipape is shaping as the perfect replacement for Manase Fainu, who is suspended under the NRL’s ‘no-fault’ stand-down policy after being hit with three charges relating to a stabbing.

Fainu is also battling a shoulder injury, which could sideline him for weeks.

Legendary Manly hooker Max Krilich believes this could open the door for Ipape to make his NRL debut, only a year after playing his football in PNG with local team, the Lae Snax Tigers.

One of Manly’s all-time great players, Max Krilich, is already a fan..

“He is a work in progress, like a lot of those young guys coming out of Papua New Guinea at the moment, but under Des’s tutelage I think he will go very well,” said Krilich, who played 215 games for Manly between 1970-83.

“He is obviously a talent given he has played for PNG, so hopefully he will come through now.

“It is a big step playing week-in and week-out NRL. Some kids can handle it, and other kids can’t, but he will get the coaching from Des and he won’t be thrown to the wolves.

“I’ve got a wrap on him though. I watched him play a number of games last season, including that try he scored for PNG.

“There are a lot of good players coming through from Papua New Guinea and hopefully he can be another one. We’ll just have to wait and see.”

Krilich is particularly impressed with Ipape’s quickness out of dummy half.

He believes the PNG star’s pace will be the key to him succeeding in the NRL long-term.

“You are blessed if you have speed,” he said about Ipape, who played last season for Wynnum Manly in the Queensland Cup.

“All the good teams have a quality dummy half. Look at the Roosters, Melbourne and Canberra.

“They all have fantastic dummy halves.”

Manly defied the critics last season to finish in sixth position after the regular season before bowing out in the semi-finals.

Krilich expects the Sea Eagles to continue their rise in 2020 under Hasler.

“I can see them jumping up a few more spots this year and in a few years’ time we can compete for a premiership,” he said.

“Des did a great job with the side last season, so they can do it again

Telegraph can’t make their mind up - Today they’re saying we’re trying to sign Danny Levi.

winnyason

Bencher
A Lot of speculative going on. My thoughts on ipape he be 12 months away blokes from png take a bit to get used to nrl systems olam at storm perfect example he played q cup for few years before making his mark.
Heard through 3rd party who related to fainu out cw nsw he about to get off again waiting on family member to hand themselves in.
Levi would be okay purchase.

SeaEagleRock8

Sea Eagle Lach
Premium Member
Tipping Member
Heard through 3rd party who related to fainu out cw nsw he about to get off again waiting on family member to hand themselves in.
Levi would be okay purchase.
Agree that it will take Ipape time to be NRL ready.
The whispers about someone handing themselves in give rise to hope but we can't pin our season on hope, so hopefully (lol, hopefully) we can snare Levi. If so, we are all systems go for 2020.

manly al

First Grader
Is Levi still under contract with the Knights for 2020 ? Maybe the Knights paying some freight if he is still contracted there would be the only way he could make the switch . If Ipape stays which looks likely , he would at least receive the basic contract level and maybe also there is still enough in the Manly cap kitty to accommodate Levi even if he is now a free agent . Seems even more unlikely as time passes now that Manly expect Manase to be available for the bulk of 2020 .

winnyason

Bencher
Agree that it will take Ipape time to be NRL ready.
The whispers about someone handing themselves in give rise to hope but we can't pin our season on hope, so hopefully (lol, hopefully) we can snare Levi. If so, we are all systems go for 2020.
Fainu near impossible to replace given he could manufacture ruck speed. Croker nor cust has that

SeaEagleRock8

Sea Eagle Lach
Premium Member
Tipping Member
This is the great unknown. The extent of Fainu's talent will be highlighted when we see how we fare without him. Api is a very good player yet it was quite apparent last year that we looked far more dangerous with Fainu at dummy half.
Knowing that we can't replace Fainu's specific talents, Des is probably toying with plans to tweak our attack, and maybe that is why the Schuster to 5/8 option is being considered?

maxta

First Grader
Premium Member
The PNG rookie, fingers crossed, could be the suprise signing of the season and become a fan favourite, in a key position that is clearly the most problematic at this time, due to many circumstances.
But personally would be very happy with Levi signed also, as he is already proven as a strike dummy half, that imo is only in need of Des mentoring a few issues to become a very, very good 9 and behind the go forward of the big Manly pack, could create a heap of extra problems for opposition defence.
The option of strike from dummy half is what creates problems for opposition, not just in the ruck, but also causes poor reads on the edges and gifts numbers out wide....absolute Must to have this position filled admirable to be a fair dinkum chance.

winnyason

Bencher
The PNG rookie, fingers crossed, could be the suprise signing of the season and become a fan favourite, in a key position that is clearly the most problematic at this time, due to many circumstances.
But personally would be very happy with Levi signed also, as he is already proven as a strike dummy half, that imo is only in need of Des mentoring a few issues to become a very, very good 9 and behind the go forward of the big Manly pack, could create a heap of extra problems for opposition defence.
The option of strike from dummy half is what creates problems for opposition, not just in the ruck, but also causes poor reads on the edges and gifts numbers out wide....absolute Must to have this position filled admirable to be a fair dinkum chance.
Ipape is an ex half like fainu. He was very good in nines also. Very nippy out of 9.

Yeah, you watch clubs like the rorters monitoring how he goes and if he goes good, then they will pounce and sign him

Stevo

First Grader
I'd be more than happy with Levi. Edwin is a good prospect but he won't be in the top 30 this year i wouldnt imagine. Levi on a 12 month or 2 year deal would be good. especially if the Knights are paying some of his freight. Also, I doubt we'd be signing him if it looked like Fainu is going to get off the charge.

Briza

Maroon and White - Born and Bred
I'd be more than happy with Levi. Edwin is a good prospect but he won't be in the top 30 this year i wouldnt imagine. Levi on a 12 month or 2 year deal would be good. especially if the Knights are paying some of his freight. Also, I doubt we'd be signing him if it looked like Fainu is going to get off the charge.

Under the tutelage of Des,Donny,Ballin and Mona's Levi could be a very good Hooker.

winnyason

Bencher
I really hope it’s true. But....Again another week has passed and the supposed family member still hasn’t handed himself in.
The more I hear this rumour the more I am skeptical.

No one parades around saying they will hand themselves in....do they? It’s already been months.
Agree manase if this is true will have to bring thus up in court

Latest posts

Team P W L PD Pts
11 9 2 82 20
11 8 3 112 18
11 8 3 75 18
11 7 4 65 16
12 7 5 135 14
12 7 5 57 14
11 6 5 -9 14
11 6 5 -38 14
12 6 5 36 13