2025 recruitment & retention

• We had an issue with background services between march 10th and 15th or there about. This meant the payment services were not linking to automatic upgrades. If you paid for premium membership and are still seeing ads please let me know and the email you used against PayPal and I cam manually verify and upgrade your account.

Disco

First Grader
Premium Member
So you may think its too early to be talking 2025 recruitment but these wheels very much need to be in motion.

So my unsolicited thoughts.

Firstly, our off contract guys

Nathan Brown, Gordan Chan Kum Tong, Jamie Humphreys, Karl Lawton, Matt Lodge, Ray Vaega, Corey Wadell.

I'd certainly extend Brown another year, I think year by year is best but I could handle two years. I think we can kinda wait and see on the rest. Lodge very likely but give him at least a couple of games. Lawton will go I think and I'd let Vaega go. Waddell on minimum I think would be fine for another year but you can wait till August/Sept for that and Gordie and Jamie.....well I guess it depends on how much of a future we see in them. I've been hyped but I'm moving towards unsure.

Schuster, well I'm working on the basis of him not being here and us having a chunk of his money (who knows how much).

I'd be targeting an edge (to replace Schuster) a back.

For mine

1. Trey Mooney or Kulikefu Finefeuiaki - Two very highly rated young forwards. Finefeuiaki currently has a lot of hype and may end up over priced so Id look at sneaking under the radar on Trey Mooney. A log jam of forwards at Canberra so we may just be able to grab and I think he comess straight into our 17

2. Kayal Iro - been banging his drum for a while but, too good for NSW Cup, but I see now he has won that Sharkies centre position. I'd grab him but it may just move Garrick back to the wing.

I know people want the big names but I think the above are available, set to break out and could fit our salary cap.

I would certainly be looking at a zippy hooker to be coming off the bench as this will be Lawtons last year. Humphreys is very similar to Croker and could potentially over take him. We need to offset this style of hooker we already have.

Depending how Garrick progresses this year it hard to settle on what we need to buy for our backline. He needs to show he can defend in the centres to give us clarity on who we recruit here.

We definitely should be in the market for a solid backrower. Ben doing ok but as it’s stands I still see him coming off the bench for his utility value. He still hasn’t shown that he can win the ruck and left on the ground leaving us vulnerable in the play the ball. This happens every game and it’s going to burn us at the worst time.

I don’t have anyone in mind but these are the 3 areas that need to be addressed.

For the first time in what feels like forever we have a really good front row rotation. our back row is also solid. Our halves are set. I'm still of the opinion that we wont win a GF with Croker at hooker but he seems like he is set in stone and i admire his work rate and guts. So hopefully we can find a really good 14 to add a bit of speed around the ruck throughout the game. I think in our best backline Garrick is on the wing. A really good type no frills centre would be the icing I reckon. Think Steven Bell.

What juniors are coming through?

Oops, I forgot. Too hard for Spoonbold so zero juniors will be given a go.

Don’t want to take away from the topic of this thread but you always want to have a dig. I see a lot of posts on here from you about Seibs not giving young kids in the club a go.

I would love for you to elaborate.

Is it all the Tartak managed boys your referring too that have been moved on? If so there is a completely different motive behind it as we are gaining control back over CSM.

The club seems to be in a real good place at the moment with lots of good discussions. Even when he didn’t win a lot of games at the Broncos he brought through a lot of the players that are killing it now.

Would love to hear your side of the storey as it might clear up where you are coming from.

Great thread and definitely 1 the club is already looking at so not ahead of itself at all.
I see hooker, edge forward top of recruiting 2025, though need a 2nd winger to step up with Saab a lock, if not I see this a key requirement and the Penrith game really highlighted it more....winning well against Penrith still looked awkward out wide

Don’t want to take away from the topic of this thread but you always want to have a dig. I see a lot of posts on here from you about Seibs not giving young kids in the club a go.

I would love for you to elaborate.

Is it all the Tartak managed boys your referring too that have been moved on? If so there is a completely different motive behind it as we are gaining control back over CSM.

The club seems to be in a real good place at the moment with lots of good discussions. Even when he didn’t win a lot of games at the Broncos he brought through a lot of the players that are killing it now.

Would love to hear your side of the storey as it might clear up where you are coming from.
They didn't respond to a previous post where I addressed this.

Haas, Coates and Fifita played Origin as teenagers under Seibolds tenure. Flegler, Farnworth and Staggs were getting plenty off minutes and were doing generating buzz.

At Souths he gave a bunch of minutes to a 20 or younger Graham, Murray and Doueihi.

Koula having no issues under Seibold.

Broncos became an issue due to a range of factors (Seibold with his portion of blame) but its not cause he couldnt get there kids performing. And sure he let the Fainu's go but most of us agree with the call (as opposed to paying 1mil) even though we appreciate their talent.

Tuitavake, Fifita etc not really breaking through so maybe just maybe the forum overrated them...or is Flanagan as bad with youth as you claim Seibold is.

They will probably bring in some guys, but personally don't think it is too necessary
For me I would re-sign Lodge,Brown, Waddell and Lawton.
We have good young props/middles coming through like James,Navale,Uesele,Mihinui,Mafoa etc...
We have young Lenaz and O'Donnell coming through at hooker,ready for a shot.
We have back ups like Parker,Matterson on the edges,although someone to provide a little depth is probably good
Halves we are good,Arthur,Wakeham as a cheap option,young Bunting is close to ready.
The outside backs are good,Hopoate and Faulolo will step up,we have Talau as first cab off the rank.
Watson Heleta should be given a serious look as a smokey like Faulolo last year and young Lawry a centre in Flegg will be ready for a shot next year.
All in all I think just re-sign a few and we have the guys already coming through,maybe an edge for depth.

Great thread and definitely 1 the club is already looking at so not ahead of itself at all.
I see hooker, edge forward top of recruiting 2025, though need a 2nd winger to step up with Saab a lock, if not I see this a key requirement and the Penrith game really highlighted it more....winning well against Penrith still looked awkward out wide

Yeah I thinking pending the clubs thoughts on Gordie and Humphreys then a hooker could definitely be needed but not much off contract this year. May have to look at next year and see who we could get to wiggle out early.

Still amazed Berrell hasnt played firsts.

Attachments

• Screenshot_20240412_102918_Chrome.jpg
    Screenshot_20240412_102918_Chrome.jpg
    57.2 KB · Views: 20
  • Screenshot_20240412_103214_Chrome.jpg
    Screenshot_20240412_103214_Chrome.jpg
    114 KB · Views: 18
They will probably bring in some guys, but personally don't think it is too necessary
We have good young props/middles coming through like James,Navale,Uesele,Mihinui,Mafoa etc...
We have back ups like Parker,Matterson on the edges,although someone to provide a little depth is probably good
Halves we are good,Arthur,Wakeham as a cheap option,young Bunting is close to ready.
The outside backs are good,Hopoate and Faulolo will step up,we have Talau as first cab off the rank.
Watson Heleta should be given a serious look as a smokey like Faulolo last year and young Lawry a centre in Flegg will be ready for a shot next year.
All in all I think just re-sign a few and we have the guys already coming through,maybe an edge for depth.

My GOD mate, you have some amazing knowledge about our club. Thank you for sharing that.

I too like to promote from within but I think you always need to supplement with genuine young first grade talent.

Love your knowledge and enthusiasm for the lower grades and juniors but I think you may be a bit optimistic on some. Heleta for example is 28 with 9 years of reserve grade behind him.

He is not going to have a meaningful first grade career IMO.

Matterson is another career reserve grader, fine to plug the odd gap occasionally but not someone we should be hanging our hat on.

Regardless of wether the Fainu boys make their way to stardom or not , the club
Very informative 👏👏👏👏

But our mate @XV-1 reckons the coach can’t coach , so none of those will be a y good , we’ll need superstars ftom other clubs for it to work. 😂😂😂😂

@Disco tough question mate, because I don't know if we are choked salary cap wise, but if we had room to move.

Ideally, we get that one marquee, blue chip forward. It's a shame AFB went to the Sharks, because he'd really round out our forward group. Fifita from The Titans would be amazing, but I'd say a lot would have to happen there, to make that work

I want Jamie Humphreys in the team somewhere before he's pilfered. I'd also like to see Jake Arthur in the 14 (or lock) jersey / position.

I did think Lodge signed a two year extension (I'm not sure), but that's what I was told. Possibly a one, with a one year option?

I really feel we are as deep, and have more quality than we have seen in a very long time. After dismantling the Panthers (like pretty well no-one else has for years), we should now be of a mindset , any team in the league now is ripe for the pickings.

Therefore, even if we don't acquire, and just build from within and develop now, I think we are okay for some time.

Agreed. Depth in middle forwards and spine looking decent. Definitely short a couple in quality on our edges - 1-2 1st grade ready edge forwards and/or outside backs

I think we need another gun winger or centre to fully arm our lethal backline. Faulolo or Hoppa Jnr may be the answer. But I liked what I saw from Feledy before he was poached by the Tigers. I don't know how far he's progressed but, on potential, it would be good to get him back into our flock.
If Lodge plays as well as we are all hoping then I think our forwards should compete with the best.

I too like to promote from within but I think you always need to supplement with genuine young first grade talent.

Love your knowledge and enthusiasm for the lower grades and juniors but I think you may be a bit optimistic on some. Heleta for example is 28 with 9 years of reserve grade behind him.

He is not going to have a meaningful first grade career IMO.

Matterson is another career reserve grader, fine to plug the odd gap occasionally but not someone we should be hanging our hat on.
You are cherry picking my post a little bit.
I am not hanging my hat on Heleta and Matterson as such...
I actually suggested that Faulolo(who has an NRL contract next year) and Hopoate(who will probably be upgraded)will step up and Heleta who is currently doing extremely well for Blacktown is a smokey.
I also included Parker along with Matterson and you can throw in Lawton and Condon in the mix as well,I did mention that we could use another second rower for depth....
They have extended Ola and Burbo recently,doubt they will spend a lot on another second rower if they extend Waddell,maybe Lawton and have Matterson,Parker and Condon(if unload able) signed.... .
Talau and Paulo have largely been Reggie's up to this year and we have gotten value from Vaega who was unwanted and also plucked Faulolo from RMC.

You are cherry picking my post a little bit.
I am not hanging my hat on Heleta and Matterson as such...
I actually suggested that Faulolo(who has an NRL contract next year) and Hopoate(who will probably be upgraded)will step up and Heleta who is currently doing extremely well for Blacktown is a smokey.
I also included Parker along with Matterson and you can throw in Lawton and Condon in the mix as well,I did mention that we could use another second rower for depth....
They have extended Ola and Burbo recently,doubt they will spend a lot on another second rower if they extend Waddell,maybe Lawton and have Matterson,Parker and Condon(if unload able) signed.... .
Talau and Paulo have largely been Reggie's up to this year and we have gotten value from Vaega who was unwanted and also plucked Faulolo from RMC.
Oh no doubt I did, just a difference if opinion in that Condon, Matterson, Vaega and Heleta I dont necessarily rate.

Waddell, Parker, Lawton are fine but could be upgraded (though Parker a great squad guy.

Faulalo I like but not sure he makes it as a consistent and impactful NRL player.

Hopoate I like.

Basically I'm agreeing that promoting from within is ideal but if the choice was filling Schuster squad place with a Matterson or a Tre Mooney next year then I think it is Tre every day of the week.

So you may think its too early to be talking 2025 recruitment but these wheels very much need to be in motion.

So my unsolicited thoughts.

Firstly, our off contract guys

Nathan Brown, Gordan Chan Kum Tong, Jamie Humphreys, Karl Lawton, Matt Lodge, Ray Vaega, Corey Wadell.

I'd certainly extend Brown another year, I think year by year is best but I could handle two years. I think we can kinda wait and see on the rest. Lodge very likely but give him at least a couple of games. Lawton will go I think and I'd let Vaega go. Waddell on minimum I think would be fine for another year but you can wait till August/Sept for that and Gordie and Jamie.....well I guess it depends on how much of a future we see in them. I've been hyped but I'm moving towards unsure.

Schuster, well I'm working on the basis of him not being here and us having a chunk of his money (who knows how much).

I'd be targeting an edge (to replace Schuster) a back.

For mine

1. Trey Mooney or Kulikefu Finefeuiaki - Two very highly rated young forwards. Finefeuiaki currently has a lot of hype and may end up over priced so Id look at sneaking under the radar on Trey Mooney. A log jam of forwards at Canberra so we may just be able to grab and I think he comess straight into our 17

2. Kayal Iro - been banging his drum for a while but, too good for NSW Cup, but I see now he has won that Sharkies centre position. I'd grab him but it may just move Garrick back to the wing.

I know people want the big names but I think the above are available, set to break out and could fit our salary cap.
Trey Mooney has looked good in NSW cup for a couple of seasons, down the pecking order it has looked with Ricky picking others in front of him, on field discipline is improving.

Iro he has done well in NSW cup also, don’t know why Fitzy hasn’t given more game time in the first 13.

Depending on who resigns, a number 9, would be top of the list.

Gus being off contract would be good on the left edge, dollars would be the issue though, I don’t think Talua is a winger and totally agree Garrick needs to be the left winger.

I like the look of Xavier Willson, with the Donkeys getting cap pressure he would be one I would like at Manly.

The club did a good job in getting Brooks and Brown, hopefully they can replicate that for 2025.

Team P W L PD Pts
7 6 1 99 14
7 6 1 54 14
7 5 2 36 12
8 5 2 39 11
8 5 3 64 10
7 4 3 49 10
8 4 4 73 8
7 3 4 17 8
8 4 4 -14 8
8 4 4 -16 8
8 4 4 -60 8