2025 recruitment & retention

• We had an issue with background services between march 10th and 15th or there about. This meant the payment services were not linking to automatic upgrades. If you paid for premium membership and are still seeing ads please let me know and the email you used against PayPal and I cam manually verify and upgrade your account.
  • We have been getting regular requests for users who have been locked out of their accounts because they have changed email adresses over the lifetime of their accounts. Please make sure the email address under your account is your current and correct email address in order to avoid this in the future. You can set your email address at https://silvertails.net/account/account-details
  • Wwe are currently experience some server issues which I am working through and hoping to resolve soon, Please bare with me whilst I work through making some changes and possible intermittent outages.
  • Apologies all our server was runing rogue. I managed to get us back to a point from 2:45 today though there is an attachment issue i will fix shortly. Things should be smooth now though

Disco

First Grader
Premium Member
Okay, I've decided what's happening for 2024/2025 recruitment. Here goes (and please hear me out):

1. Coaching. Brad Arthur is to be instated as Siebold's assistant. Ennis let go because we need someone full time. Also helps with succession planning.

2. Our biggest acquisition (and boy, don't we need some indigenous talent) is we acquire Selwyn Cobbo. Turbo is getting moved to the centres, to prolong his career. Given this, it is my view Hopoate / Talau are adequate 1-5 depth. This means Schoupp, Paulo, Vaega, Parker are free to look elsewhere.

3. DCE retires (or gets the bag in the U.K.). We have his replacement (and I've considered depth below). Jamie Humphreys is to step up, therefore, he's playing during Origin, and he's taking GCKT's utility spot the rest of this season. Jake is made captain.

4. With Barrett already playing buggars with Lane (one game in), and their known "issues", we have Arthur convince Lane to return to the Eagles.

5. We do NOT re-sign Lodge, Brown (we can't keep paying them to rehab), Woods, Condon, Waddell, Matterson &/or Croker (who medically retires - and we search for a Hooker). Lawton is already gone.

6. I re-acquire both Latu and Samuela (particularly because Marshall is shopping Latu around). This moves Burbo back to the bench, where I feel he belongs on a premiership team.

7. Jake Arthur becomes our long term utility. I'd also like to see GCKT develop some more in NSW Cup. I just believe due to his stature, he's not going to be in high demand.

01. Selwyn Cobbo
02. Jason Saab
03. Tom Trbojevic
04. Tolu Koula
05. Reuben Garrick
06. Luke Brooks
07. Jamie Humphreys
08. Jake Trbojevic (c)
10. Taniela Paseka
11. Haumole Olakau'atu
12. Shaun Lane
13. Samuela Fainu

14. Jake Arthur
15. Josh Aloiai
16. Ethan Bullemor
17. Ben Trbojevic

Coach(es): Anthony Siebold, Brad Arthur

Depth: Lehi Hopoate, Tommy Talau, Latu Fainu, GCKT, Aitasi James, Toff Sipley etc.
Can I talk specifically to point 3, or to be more specific can we talk Jamie Humphreys.

You seem very excited by him and view him as a long term halfback at the club. To be honest in the games I've seen, I've not been convinced he will be a long term 1st grade half or 5/8 but was excited to see him at hooker this year.....that itself seems to have petered out.

Can I ask, what gives you confidence that Jamie Humphreys a player that..

• Has played 11 reserve grade games this year at hooker (4), bench (4) and 5/8.....none at halback.
  • Was only re-signed very late last year on a 1 year deal.
  • Remains off contract with no clubs seemingly lining up.
  • Has not made an extended NRL squad this year.
  • Was not taken to Vegas when players like Lehi were.
  • Has only managed a third of his 24 reserve grade games at halfback.

What makes you confidence that he is the answer? Let alone the answer over the QLD halfback.

Everything I've seen from the shuffling around of positions and the lethergy is re-signing would indicate the club dont really view him as a proper first grade prospect.

Interested in your and everyone elses thoughts because for mine, if he can't lock down the Blacktown no7 I dont see logic handing him the Manly 7.

Rocky

Bencher
I've never been a De belin fan.

But he I reckon last weekend was the best football I've seen him play full stop.

Funny what happens when they are playing for a new contract.
Yep we have seen some good examples lately

Exhibit 1 - Matt Lodge in any contract year (he seduced half of Silvertails into thinking this time would be different - spoiler alert it isnt)
Exhibit 2 - Nathan Brown 2024
Exhibit 3 - Jack De Bellend 2024

Nordburg

First Grader

Exhibit 1 - Matt Lodge in any contract year (he seduced half of Silvertails into thinking this time would be different - spoiler alert it isnt)
You could add Angus Crichton to that list for this year,but he at least has a body of good work prior to last season‘s horror show.

Ohgeez

Stefano Utoikumanu will be off contract from Tigers for 2025 & wants out, only just turned 24 & has the potential to be a future top 3 front rower in the comp. Would be good to land a big fish & develop him into a dominate pack leader for the next 10 years. I know he hasn’t been in his best form this year but we can use Tommy Talau as a prime example of how much better players can perform in a team they believe in. Papalii also went there as the best 2nd rower in the comp and will be leaving bang average so it’s obvious they don’t get the best out of their players

Last edited:

Eagle 1

First Grader

Yeah, shame about Lodge, had big expectations from him this season, but alas, wasn't meant to be. Maybe back in rd 22, leaves him 5games and possible semis to seduce us again.

Disco

First Grader
Premium Member
Stefano Utoikumanu will be off contract from Tigers for 2025 & wants out, only just turned 24 & has the potential to be a future top 3 front rower in the comp. Would be good to land a big fish & develop him into a dominate pack leader for the next 10 years. I know he hasn’t been in his best form this year but we can use Tommy Talau as a prime example of how much better players can perform in a team they believe in. Papalii also went there as the best 2nd rower in the comp and will be leaving bang average so it’s obvious they don’t get the best out of their players
I think he has been in pretty good form this year.

Would love him and Paseka leading the way

Bearfax

Grizzly old fart
I just watched the Storm game again on Nine. Points I wish to make one or two comments.

1. Manly's team performed top class. They made some mistakes, but the defense was for the most part solid (a few glaring errors but only a few). If they can continue to play like that they'll make the finals in a canter. Melbourne didn't play poorly. They panicked because Manly were coming at them in a manner few other teams have been doing.
2. The referee wasn't that bad. He gave some very soft penalties I agree, the first one for holding while Melbourne had done it not once but several times up till then without response. The last six again was very poor. But generally he wasn't for the most part that bad.
3. For the life of me I cannot understand the criticism aimed at DCE. He had a masterful game with one mistake (kicking out on the full). The guy is perpetual motion. He is easily one of the two best half backs in the game and Manly would struggle even more than they do without Turbo, without him.
4. Hopoate is one tough little tiger. Smashed a few times and just gets up and continues as if nothing happened. He'll be a star and Manly must keep him.
5. Brown is a must keep. He is a real mongrel and Manly have been missing his type for years. Loses it a bit at times, but that's OK if he inspires aggression by example. No nonsense type Manly really need.
6. Ben Trbojevic is stamping his own reputation. Some say he's not fast. Rubbish. He's not super quick but the way he ran around Melbourne several times shows he's got good speed.. And he gets around the field to defend with determination and speed.
7. Vaega saved Manly's bacon a few times and deserves his spot.
8. Brooks is a little mistake ridden but he complements DCE brilliantly. They work very well together and his speed off the mark and creativity have been missing from Manly for almost a decade.
9. Garrick surprises me because he is quite good at centre. I admire his common sense approach and he seems to make the right decisions more often than most.
10. Where do we fit so many good backs. Turbo, Saab (who had a good game too), Garrick, Talau, Vaega, Koula, Hopoate., Brooks and DCE. Some top talent there

Last edited:

Andrew..

Bencher
Tipping Member
I think he has been in pretty good form this year.

Would love him and Paseka leading the way
Tonight on NRL360 they stated that South's, Penrith and Canterbury are all interested in Utoikumanu. I'd love for us to throw our hat in the ring but realistically I don't like our chances.

nightster

The older I get the better I was
Premium Member
Tipping Member
I was going to post something similar

nightster

The older I get the better I was
Premium Member
Tipping Member
I just watched the Storm game again on Nine. Points I wish to make one or two comments.

1. Manly's team performed top class. They made some mistakes, but the defense was for the most part solid (a few glaring errors but only a few). If they can continue to play like that they'll make the finals in a canter. Melbourne didn't play poorly. They panicked because Manly were coming at them in a manner few other teams have been doing.
2. The referee wasn't that bad. He gave some very soft penalties I agree, the first one for holding while Melbourne had done it not once but several times up till then without response. The last six again was very poor. But generally he wasn't for the most part that bad.
3. For the life of me I cannot understand the criticism aimed at DCE. He had a masterful game with one mistake (kicking out on the full). The guy is perpetual motion. He is easily one of the two best half backs in the game and Manly would struggle even more than they do without Turbo, without him.
4. Hopoate is one tough little tiger. Smashed a few times and just gets up and continues as if nothing happened. He'll be a star and Manly must keep him.
5. Brown is a must keep. He is a real mongrel and Manly have been missing his type for years. Loses it a bit at times, but that's OK if he inspires aggression by example. No nonsense type Manly really need.
6. Ben Trbojevic is stamping his own reputation. Some say he's not fast. Rubbish. He's not super quick but the way he ran around Melbourne several times shows he's got good speed.. And he gets around the field to defend with determination and speed.
8. Brooks is a little mistake ridden but he complements DCE brilliantly. They work very well together and his speed off the mark and creativity have been missing from Manly for almost a decade.
9. Garrick surprises me because he is quite good at centre. I admire his common sense approach and he seems to make the right decisions more often than most.
10. Where do we fit so many good backs. Turbo, Saab (who had a good game too), Garrick, Talau, Vaega, Koula, Hopoate., Brooks and DCE. Some top talent there
Regarding DCE - I think the criticism comes from frustration, because he sets such a high standard it stands out when he takes so many unnecessary risks that allows teams back into the game when we are leading.

Regarding Brown - his best value is his inspiration - I reckon our forwards have stepped up their aggression since he has been a team member.

Bearfax

Grizzly old fart
Regarding DCE - I think the criticism comes from frustration, because he sets such a high standard it stands out when he takes so many unnecessary risks that allows teams back into the game when we are leading.

Regarding Brown - his best value is his inspiration - I reckon our forwards have stepped up their aggression since he has been a team member.

I'll agree that he takes some poor options. What primary players in any team don't. Harry Grant and Hughes made some poor decisions in this latest game. They are the primary organisers. Do we attack them because of these mistakes. They are a risk takers and risks have to be taken at certain points in a game. They are doing far more structural actions than the rest of the team. Thye are the player the team's actions revolve around.

These guys aren't robots. They make mistakes. But I'd suggest DCE's positives are vastly greater than his negatives and he helps Manly to win far more frequently, from my perspective, than his actions lose us games. And if certain of his actions do cause Manly a loss, it should be noted that he wouldn't be taking those actions if the team was keeping up the standard it is capable of.

Rugby League is a team game and the primary reasons a team wins or loses is because of the team's performance, not the individual. Special players may take advantage of the efforts of the team, but its the team's performance overall that determines wins and losses. DCE does and excellent job of meeting the requirements of the primary organizer. Its up to the team though to set up the circumstances that allow that player to weave his magic.

KNUCKLES

Bencher
Tonight on NRL360 they stated that South's, Penrith and Canterbury are all interested in Utoikumanu. I'd love for us to throw our hat in the ring but realistically I don't like our chances.
We don't chase anyone anymore. We have a premiership team already remember

silvereagle

Reserve Grader

Good points @Bearfax and no disagreement on any. Point 10 is the intriguing one for mine. While Turbo is out, who do you drop from the balance list. Got to be one of either Vaega or Hopa?? Tough call as both played brilliantly on the weekend. When turbo is back it gets even tougher. What do you do with turbo and who else do you drop to accomodate him back in the team?? Another tougher call by the coach.

Bearfax

Grizzly old fart
Good points @Bearfax and no disagreement on any. Point 10 is the intriguing one for mine. While Turbo is out, who do you drop from the balance list. Got to be one of either Vaega or Hopa?? Tough call as both played brilliantly on the weekend. When turbo is back it gets even tougher. What do you do with turbo and who else do you drop to accomodate him back in the team?? Another tougher call by the coach.
Probably drop Vaega. Much as I was impressed by his performance, Hopoate is the future, and now he's had a taste, to drop him, though logical for experience, may have other clubs gathering for definite offers as custodian. Even playing him on the wing at first would be worth the chance. Turbo started that way.

Members online

Latest posts

Team P W L PD Pts
13 10 3 97 24
14 10 4 118 22
14 10 4 78 22
13 8 5 66 20
14 8 6 143 18
13 7 6 81 18
13 7 6 -55 18
14 7 6 42 17
14 7 7 37 16