2nd Test

• We had an issue with background services between march 10th and 15th or there about. This meant the payment services were not linking to automatic upgrades. If you paid for premium membership and are still seeing ads please let me know and the email you used against PayPal and I cam manually verify and upgrade your account.
And a hot missus !!!

I think anyone who knows anything about cricket rates Kallis as one of the all time greats. If there is one criticism of his batting is that he doesn't have the list of big scores that Tendulkar, Lara and Ponting have. Only two double tons.

IMO the game was not as professional back then as it is now, that's why McDermott was successful but that's a talk for another time, I won't comment re:ponting....I want him to finish in England

The reason I don't rate Kallis up with Lara & Tendulkar purely as a batsman is his performances against Australia in their prime.

He averages about 39 (before this series anyway) against Australia. Lara & Tendulkar consistently proved their class by performing strongly against Australia. Kallis not so much. He's definitely in the elite class, but below Lara & Tendulkar for me.

Best all-rounder for a long, long time though.

That's a bit of a harsh criteria there Volley

Most players have a side they struggle against, thinking on the bowling front of Warne v India etc

I think the thing that leaves Kallis out of the equation when all the best players are talked about, is that most of his career he has been a slow scorer compared to the other guys, and a lack of memorable innings as a result of that as well. People think of Lara's slashing square drive scoring 277 v Australia, Tendulkar stepping down the track and putting Warne anywhere he wanted too during a 150-odd etc where Kallis doesn't have a lot of those type of knocks

Kiwi Eagle said:

Most players have a side they struggle against, thinking on the bowling front of Warne v India etc

I think the thing that leaves Kallis out of the equation when all the best players are talked about, is that most of his career he has been a slow scorer compared to the other guys, and a lack of memorable innings as a result of that as well. People think of Lara's slashing square drive scoring 277 v Australia, Tendulkar stepping down the track and putting Warne anywhere he wanted too during a 150-odd etc where Kallis doesn't have a lot of those type of knocks

Which sides did Lara & Tendulkar struggle against? Or Ponting for that matter?

Volley said:
Kiwi Eagle said:

Which sides did Lara & Tendulkar struggle against? Or Ponting for that matter?

Lara averaged 35 against India and 41 against us

Tendulkar 42 v South Africa and Pakistan

Pontings worst is 44 v Eng

Kallis is 42 v Aus, his worst is actually 38 v Sri Lanka

The Eagle said:
I don't rate any batsman's average who plays test cricket vs Bangladesh

Thats my harsh criteria

So in the past 12 years or however long it is you don't rate any batsmans average ...

Another guy that fits into the forgotten category at times is Sangakkara, nearing 10000 runs at an average of 56 is a great career

Thanks for that, it's interesting reading.

Being an Australian though, with Australia the massively dominant side in Test cricket (excluding the last couple of years), I always thought of Lara & Tendulkar as being more dangerous, and just a class above. Kallis is quality, but below those 2 imo.

I'd agree with you there, the way they played probably made them both more dangerous than Kallis. Tendulkar and Lara could take the game away from you in a session where Kallis has always been more of a grinder

You could say the same about his bowling, he never looks unplayable yet he gets wickets (almost 300 of them in fact).

I think the thing with Kallis is that he is so calm and composed that he never looks like he is motoring along in anything other than second gear. Nothing ever seems to get him rattled or excited, whether with bat or ball in hand.

You want to talk about strikerates, Sehwag has almost 8500 runs at a strike rate of 82. 3 out of 4 of his 250+ scores came at strikerates over 100, his other triple century was striking at 82. When he goes, he goes.

I do not rate tendulkar anywhere near as high as most, Dravid was a better bat in my opinion and used to dominate outside the sub continent far more often. Tendulkar's length of career is his main asset.

Kallis' lack of big scores shows you how consistent he is to have a higher average.

Interesting read on the subject of batting comparisons

http://www.smh.com.au/sport/cricket/second-best-too-good-for-punter-20121201-2anpt.html

Members online

No members online now.

Latest posts

Team P W L PD Pts
6 5 1 59 12
6 5 1 20 12
6 4 2 53 10
6 4 2 30 10
7 4 2 25 9
7 4 3 40 8
7 4 3 24 8
7 4 3 -8 8