2nd Test

• We had an issue with background services between march 10th and 15th or there about. This meant the payment services were not linking to automatic upgrades. If you paid for premium membership and are still seeing ads please let me know and the email you used against PayPal and I cam manually verify and upgrade your account.
Fair dinkum Clarkie. Have a real go. He threw away a 250 there. :s - It's time he stepped aside surely!!!

Can anyone shed some light on the new "runner" rule. I didn't realise they had changed it til today when they were saying that Kallis couldn't have a runner.
Common sense and judgement needs to come into it. He obviously has a genuine injury and should be entitled to a runner imo.

Its to stop that fat **** faking an injury and getting a runner (not sure if Indian or Pakistani), common sense hasn't been written into it yet

They've outlawed runners. Period. Doesn't matter whether you are injured or not. It's called the Ranatunga rule.

Shane are you talking about good old Arjuna (see 0:08 of this clip https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sUahLX31_mc where he had a nice blow up with heals...during that series he continually called for a runner due to his, ahh, "fitness")

Fascinating days cricket so far, looking forward to getting home from work and watching some of it, what test crickets all about

I'm not sure who it is I just know he was fat and Indian or Pakistani I think, possibly even Sri Lankan who was fat and always called for a runner, he also never fielded which is why one of the south African team couldn't come in til like number 7 this test,Kallis I think

I'm not racist i'm forgetful and have problems differentiating those 3 in particular,I remember facts not names

What did you think of Siddle's efforts today Shane ? You must admit he showed a lot of heart.

Couldn't work out Lyon's tactics at the end. Just darting them in trying to get through the overs as quickly as possible. Try and take a wicket FFS. Do you think Warney would have just ripped 6 stock deliveries down in resignation ?

I don't blame Lyon as much for that, mainly because the bloke had bowled so much he would have almost been on autopilot, in that situation he needed Clarke or Ponting coming down and offering a plan and some instructions to him

That effort from Du Plessis was immense. What a knock

Chip and Chase said:
What did you think of Siddle's efforts today Shane ? You must admit he showed a lot of heart.

I think personally exactly what a few people said in the other thread was proven today.

Siddle worked his absolute butt off, he had bowled pretty much all day and was still banging on the 140 mark at the end, gave 100% and nobody can doubt his efforts, he is the sort of bowler every team wants.

Unfortunately he couldnt quite get the breakthrough, I'm not criticising him as he was the best we had by a long stretch, Pattinson going down and Hilfenhaus being way off his best, Siddle showed how big a heart he actually has.

I dont know how well he is going to pull up after that, considering the 3rd test is on Friday.

I'd go with Siddle, Starc and Lyon, Watson will play as the 4th seamer/allrounder, which saves Lyon.

the 3rd quick shoudl be between Hazlewood and Hastings, Mitchell Johnson doesnt deserve to ever wear the baggy green again, and Hilfenhaus is bowling rubbish.

Having said that they will pick Hilfenhaus

I doubt Watson will bowl in Perth, they won't risk him will they ? It'll be a straight batting swap fro him and Quiney.

The little bit I saw of Johnson over the weekend seemed like he had it shaping back into the right handers again, so if he can continue that he might not be the worst option. Big risk though, and Starc deserves the nod ahead of him on recent form.

The big question will be how much the Adelaide test has taken out of Siddle. Will he be able to back up, and will he be able to do the grunt work he has been relied upon to produce.

I'd stick with same side with Watson in for Quiney and Starc for Pattison.

I'm with you C & C.
Provided everyone pulls up ok, Watson for Quiney and Starc for Pattinson.
Siddle was immense. Can not deny his heart & passion. Great work.
Johnson is too much of a risk in such a big Test match with so much riding on the result.
He still needs to do a lot more to prove he is back to where he needs to be imo.

So where do you see Pontings place these days ? The ways he has gotten out in the last year have looked very ordinary at times

The thing saving Punter is that by definition Rob Quiney is the next best batsman in Austalia at the moment and he is fresh off a pair. No one knocking down the door, so Punter will be given another opportunity. I think he will probably scratch together a 50 in Perth and see out the summer. Fair enough too, with Watson back our batting looks stronger, so anything we get from Ricky is a bonus.

What is a worry though is the lack of batting talent coming through, not many Sheild players laying down the runs at the moment. The Marsh's are in all sorts, Usman and Hughes are making efforts to come back from the wilderness after dalliances in the national side. Who else ? Callum Ferguson ?

In days gone by we had 3 or 4 guys who were waiting in the wings with 5000+ shield runs to their names, guys who would have walked into any other test side.

Chip and Chase said:

Couldn't work out Lyon's tactics at the end. Just darting them in trying to get through the overs as quickly as possible. Try and take a wicket FFS. Do you think Warney would have just ripped 6 stock deliveries down in resignation ?

My problem with Siddle has never been his effort nor his passion, just his complete lack of that thing that let's you be a good wicket taker, skill

He has hit the wall of his potential the problem is mate he isn't that much chop,I want him to succeed but he has no room for improvement, he's aggressive, cocky and ill tempered, all the things you want from a paceman other than skill,I can't see it changing I'd rather drag in Hazelwood, he has time....Siddle doesn't....Mitch Johnson is back though.....**** my life

I hate Wade right now, he was the chosen one and he just lost is a test win chance......how's Paine going?

Paine was the chosen one, then mutilated his finger, but is now back keeping.

Wades dropped catch yesterday off Hilfenhaus is excusable, the Smith Stumping the other day was the big clanger

And he nearly butchered the Amla one as well. Looked like me at park cricket rebounding them off the gut into the gloves (or if you are really skillfull you bypass the gloves altogether and rebound it directly into the stumps from your gut). I liked Paine, hope he regains his form.

Shane I hear what you are saying about Siddle, but there have been some very good test bowlers who made careers from just banging away all day and never giving an inch. Hughes, and McDermott spring to mind, Bichel was another. All heart and determination. You need players like that in test matches. Look at how fragile this latest lot of wunderkinds are...Pattison, Starc, Cummins, even the older ones like Watson and Harris are injury prone princesses. I have no problems with Siddle getting a go as long as he keeps charging in.

Both Siddle and Hilfy can bowl all day, with siddle bowling the same at the end as at the start. Thats something we need with T20 etc these days.

Hilfy has lost the mojo he found last year, send him back again. Really dont understand his lack of ability to see when things arnt working and change tactics. FFS bowl it close and wide from the stumps changing the line for the batsman who have now gotten used to the swing which you are good at.

Wade is making a good case for Haddin. Paine will replace him if he can stay injury free.

As for the bowlers, well the young crop mostly from NSW they are very young, Starc is the oldest at 22 as is Pattinson, Hazlewood 21 and cummins 19. They are a few years away from getting to consistent good cricket

Batting, well Ponting is still ahead of Quiney and Cowan but should we win the ashes has to hang up the baggy green.

Also can i say yet again how good is Kallis. Why he is not talked about as one of the great batsman of modern eras is beyond me. Has 44 ceturies, second highest of all time, averages more than the fabled tendulkar and ponting and lara @ 57.3, so really holds his own. Oh i forgot, has 282 test wickets @ 32.

Team P W L PD Pts
6 5 1 20 12
6 4 2 53 10
5 4 1 23 10
6 4 2 48 8
6 4 2 28 8
5 3 2 14 8
7 4 3 -18 8
6 3 2 21 7
7 3 3 20 7
7 3 4 31 6
6 3 3 16 6