3rd Party Agreements

• We had an issue with background services between march 10th and 15th or there about. This meant the payment services were not linking to automatic upgrades. If you paid for premium membership and are still seeing ads please let me know and the email you used against PayPal and I cam manually verify and upgrade your account.
RE: How the rich clubs are sidestepping the salary cap

Brissie Kid said:
Former Manly premiership winner Will Hopoate returns to Brookvale for the first time since the 2011 title win after two years away from the NRL.

Toovey was benevolent in his views on former NSW representative Hopoate.

"That's what we are here at Manly to do, particularly the junior league here, we have developed a lot of great players who have gone on to do great things and he is one of those players," Toovey said.

http://news.smh.com.au/breaking-news-sport/roosters-loss-an-eels-blemish-toovey-20140322-359o8.html

He did great things at Manly he hasn't anywhere else unless u call knocking on doors great

RE: How the rich clubs are sidestepping the salary cap

The way to avoid becoming a 'poor club' - club management don't limit themselves to an area.
Look at Souths, Roosters.

Have said it before go into Norths old area - don't ask permission just ****ing do it.
Take games that bring little crowds to other places ie Broncos, Cowboys and Titans ie double header at Suncorp, or Titans game at Central Coast Stadium.

NRL teams are in the business to win games not to win a popularity contest.

Does anyone know the rules around TPA's? is there a limit? who can do it?….everyone saying that we need some rich bloke to chuck in to help out…what about some Manly Crowdfunding? i.e…..there are 10k members signed up so far for the sea eagles….if everyone chucked in $50.00 to a SPV/company we would have $500k that we could use to help secure Gifty for a few more years….then Gifty owes each one of us free beers for the remainder of his contract!!

In all seriousness i just wanted to get a sense of how these TPA's are allowed….how do we know the bulldogs leagues club is not giving some money to a business/small operator who then offers a player/players TPS's?….there must be some TPA's from these rich clubs that are actually very closely related to the individual clubs. This does suk.

Hugh Jackman could sponsor the whole Team on his income :idea:

But suggesting that ordinary working people donate to top up a sportsman's extravgant contract is ridiculous :cool:

I wonder too at these TPA's...lets say I was still in business and had a spare $150K to flash around......why would I not become a sponsor....get a box, free booze, player appearances etc etc AND get publicity.

OR

Sponsor Glenn Stewart for $150K, no one knows but the club, him and me, and yeah maybe he does a TV or Radio advertisement for me.

I don't actually get the whole TPA thing, other than some rich dude(s) have a heap of dollars and wanting to see the club a success.

There is no limit on Third Party Agreements. The concept is simply that if a player can earn additional $$ from his celebrity then he should be entitled to do that. Not allowing them would be like us fans being prevented from having a Saturday job separate and distinct from our Monday to Friday job. Clubs aren't allowed to arrange them nor are they allowed to guarantee their payment, but if a players Manager can convince the local Real Estate Agent to pay a player $250k to be the face of that business then they can't stop it as long as that Real Estate Agent isn't a current sponsor of the club.

The problem with TPA's is that they are being abused by the likes of Brisbane and the Thoroughbreds. They have been known to fund small businesses to pay for such arrangements. Because they are separate from the club the NRL can do nothing about it.

One other thing, TPA's are subject to a commerciality test. This is a subjective question of whether the arrangement is within the bounds of commercial reality. So the local handyman paying Glen Stewart $300,000 per annum to promote his business would simply be commercially unrealistic. As would fans paying him, because their is no commercial reason to do it, it would be viewed as simply a salary cap avoidance mechanism.

SeaEagleRock8 said:
Could be wrong but I thought another part of the TPAs is that it can't be dependent on being at any particular club. (Which of course is just a legal fiction because that is usually the whole point.)

Seems to be true, I found this:

If a player is receiving money from any person as a way of inducing him to play for the club, then that money will be included in the Salary Cap.

Income that a player earns from parties not related to his club is generally not included in the Salary Cap, however, the details of the agreement must be advised to the club by the player.

http://www.nrl.com/nrlhq/referencecentre/salarycap/tabid/10434/default.aspx

Latest posts

Team P W L PD Pts
5 4 1 23 10
5 4 1 14 10
6 4 2 48 8
6 4 2 28 8
5 3 2 25 8
5 3 2 14 8
6 3 2 38 7
6 3 2 21 7
6 3 3 37 6