43c Saturday @ Ctown

• We had an issue with background services between march 10th and 15th or there about. This meant the payment services were not linking to automatic upgrades. If you paid for premium membership and are still seeing ads please let me know and the email you used against PayPal and I cam manually verify and upgrade your account.
DSC_1173.JPG

lol. Stay home and watch the Ritz '88 concert on Youtube. GN'R at their peak and no Homebush treck required. Win Win.
Saw them in 88, with the Angels on beforehand.....one of the best concerts I've been too......and I've been to a lot!

Manly have the answer for Saturday night - slurpees

Manly will use slurpees to stay cool during trial against Wests Tigers at Campbelltown
fbe3d6ce74486ede7af0e0b7b4648d02

fbe3d6ce74486ede7af0e0b7b4648d02

MANLY will turn to old-fashioned slurpees to combat scorching temperatures during Saturday’s trial match against South Sydney at Campbelltown.

The Bureau of Meteorology is forecasting 42C in Sydney’s southwest during the day, and hovering around a still-stifling 37C for the 7.30pm kick-off.

Manly’s well-credentialed sports science team has devised a comprehensive plan to control the core temperatures of players, including the use of a simple slushy machine.

The iced drink, mixed with Powerade, will be used before and during the game to rehydrate players.

“We have a slushy machine. Because we get a Powerade mixture in the slushy, you are pretty much putting ice straight into your body,” Sea Eagles head of physical performance Dan Ferris said.

“That is an internal ice bath, as such. We can also reduce core temperatures that way. They get the benefits of Powerade too — the electrolytes, magnesium, potassium, sodium — they are getting hydrated as well.

“That is a big things because they are sweating so much we need to replace that.

“Its basically like drinking ice water. It is frozen down to minus one or two degrees. Everything we put on the outside of our bodies, to cool us down, you are just cooling down your skin.

“The only way to internally cool down is through drinks. The best way to do that is ice. To get a palatable drink, we use slushies.

Manly will also use ice towels — to be placed on the player’s necks and groin areas — along with the use of fans and ice baths. The game is expected to be split into quarters for additional drinks breaks

At halftime, some things we need to do is the use of fans, ice baths, and then we will put ice towels on three parts of the body — behind the neck, which is probably the most important, and both sides of the groin,” Ferris said.

“There is a femoral arterial on the groin so we put ice towels there to try and cool the blood down and limit as much sweating as we can.

“The main thing is what has been doing for the last three months. Acclimatisation. We have been training in this heat for the last three months.

“We specifically put our field sessions on the hottest part of the day between 12pm and 2pm, purely for this reason. You can’t avoid the temperature. All we can do control what we can.

“We do pre-cooling. We actually do ice baths before the game. A six to seven degree bath, two minutes in, two minutes out.

“We keep the players active so they’re not just sitting there. Mostly it is about the core temperature, it controls everything.”

http://www.dailytelegraph.com.au/sp...n/news-story/fbe3d6ce74486ede7af0e0b7b4648d02

Last edited:
Why not adjourn to the local pool and play a few games of water polo. Quite frankly its dangerous to be playing in that heat. I sure hope they only play 10 minutes each.

I'd imagine they'd have to wear sunscreen, so if the players seem a little more slippery than usual you know why.
Although I worry about Jorge's hands!

Dont know about 43 c here,it's looking more like 43 cm . Hows your forecast looking GE ?

Given the forecast temp I am actually kinda surprised that the game hasn't been cancelled. 43 is crazy weather to play a game of league in, even just a trial game.

Last edited:
Given the forecast temp I am actually kinda surprised that the game hasn't been cancelled. 43 is crazy weather to play a game of league in, even just a trial game.
I just called Sea Eagles as we have tickets for Saturday, spoke to Wayne Cousins who assured me games were still on dispite temperatures (didn't see article above before calling).

Staff online

Latest posts

Team P W L PD Pts
7 6 1 99 14
7 6 1 54 14
7 5 2 36 12
8 5 2 39 11
8 5 3 64 10
7 4 3 49 10
8 4 4 73 8
7 3 4 17 8
8 4 4 -14 8