About as remorsal the media will get

• We had an issue with background services between march 10th and 15th or there about. This meant the payment services were not linking to automatic upgrades. If you paid for premium membership and are still seeing ads please let me know and the email you used against PayPal and I cam manually verify and upgrade your account.

Zep

Bencher
After reading all the articles and listening to all the news. It seems like the media could not be any more opposite to how they were 18 months ago. It actually seems like there is remorse for the actions used when it first started. There is no, wording to the such that brett could have done it but the evidence wasn't there etc. Everyone who read the reports from the Case or has met brett knows there was quite litually no foundation for anything. I would think that it would never have gotten as far as it did without the media reporting blatant lies and innuendo.

Hopefully now some public apologies from the likes of Paul Kent, Gallop, Vautin and Mike Gibson would do Brett all good! I just hope that Brett and the community feels comfortable enough that he can continue with the work that his does.

Read an article by Steve Mascord that was saying that the Stewart boy's might be able to get some legal recourse over all this on both fronts as well (NRL and the Media)

Example of Wilson, and look at her quotes:-

http://www.adelaidenow.com.au/sport/league-culture-is-crook-to-the-core/story-e6frecj3-1111119129739

Scratch the surface of the glamorous launches, the multi-million-dollar advertising campaigns and the gender experts, however, and what you have is a booze-fuelled, male-dominated culture full of accidents waiting to happen.

Where to start in one of rugby league's most shameful weeks? There is no need to discuss the sexual assault charges allegation here. That is for the courts and it is irrelevant, really, in the scheme of things.

Where we can start is at an official club function.

I wrote last season how wonderful it was the premiership-winning Manly team could manage to have a week full of drunken celebrations and not offend anyone.

Their grand final party was joyous, fun and pretty innocent by league standards.

How wrong could I have been about a football team?

The club has started 2009 with a transformation. The team's official season launch degenerated into an alcohol-fuelled, unsupervised rabble in which even some club administrators were involved. Some witnesses say pin-up boy and rugby league megastar Brett Stewart became so drunk he was legless. His team-mate, the blank-eyed Anthony Watmough, allegedly told the father of a beautiful young woman present at the team's season launch his daughter was a "slut". He decided then to slap the girl's father.

It must be stressed here those facts are not challenged by anyone at the club. Watmough was forced to apologise to the father, who turned out to be a club sponsor.

Stewart has admitted he was so drunk he has forgotten everything, including the alleged sexual assault in the early hours of the morning. The old "I forgot" defence just will not wash any more with cynical onlookers.

This is not an isolated tale of two footballers playing up on a night out. Stewart's and Watmough's names could be replaced by a big chunk of league players.

Their club could be any one of 16 in the National Rugby League competition.

The last week has proved beyond any doubt rugby league is crook to the core – that some of its players, clubs, administrators and, even its fans, still are willing to accept behaviour that is below normal social standards.

Manly reacted appallingly to the crisis. They did not stand down Stewart. The board voted unanimously to keep him in the team, even after NRL boss David Gallop implored them to drop him from the side. The weak board ridiculously asked the team's coach what he wanted.

Not surprisingly, Des Hasler opted for the win-at-all-costs option and the board bought it.

Even a gaggle of famous female fans came out in support of Stewart without having been present on the night or hearing the facts of the story. A battle-weary Gallop suspended Stewart for four weeks. He fined Manly $100,000 for Watmough's behaviour and for bringing the game into disrepute.

Gallop is starting to realise that badly-behaved footballers need to be treated like children – not adults earning up to $750,000 a year.

He also sadly is aware of the culture that exists within clubs which excuses "the boys".

How many more times must we hear "the boys needed to let their hair down"? How many more times must we witness the sport implode as a result of yet another player having 30 schooners? Rugby league is its own worst enemy.

With the exception of Gallop, the week has thrown up another bunch of drunken footballers who believe they are bullet-proof, weak administrators who love having a beer with "the boys", and fans willing to forgive all if their team is winning.

Watmough's anger and nasty outburst has not attracted the attention it deserved. He obviously is a troubled and cocky young man with no idea of social graces nor sensibilities.

I attended the national rowing titles last weekend in Tasmania. Those athletes are world class, do 14 training sessions a week and rarely say yes to a drink. They work full time to pay for their sport because, for them, it remains a noble pursuit.

Perhaps a few of our so-called elite footballers should seek out those rowers to see what makes them tick, to understand a little about how tough it is for most athletes pursuing dreams.

Stewart and Watmough have forgotten the word "struggle" – the very word that drove them to shrug off their working-class upbringings in favour of a better life in rugby league. They irreparably have damaged themselves and their sport in the process.

More following. She wanted his blood, and now I say she should be held accountable by her company...like she says Brett should have been

Jezus Ryan, im trying very hard to focus on being pleased for Brett and quell my seething anger about his treatment.

Nice to see you reach that lucky chinese post count of 8888 by the way.

Nah man, that article is full of mis-information and defamation. I'm going to ask her about it?

That makes my blood boil. What an absolute toss ****, i wonder what charity work she has done recently that involved actual time with children.

Wonder if she will take anything back! ... and except for cheating who in the NRL is on 750,000 k a year? by the sounds of the heifer was in on the cheating as well, as that is only how she could know that is what Cam Smith and Inglis were probably on. They should suspend her for 4 weeks, drag her name in mud and let it in 18 months time come out that she was innocent the whole time.

Would LOVE to see her (amongst some peers) on the painful end of a lawsuit, right where she belongs... in some people's opinions. :)

any email that should be sent should have the subject "Congratulations on Reporting integrity"

Was very dissapointed to watch NRL on Fox tonight...and NOT a mention....the biggest league story of the day and they ignore it.

Oh I forgot......Laurie Daley was on the panel...now we know why!

Mark from Brisbane link said:
Was very dissapointed to watch NRL on Fox tonight...and NOT a mention....the biggest league story of the day and they ignore it.

Oh I forgot......Laurie Daley was on the panel...now we know why!

I started watching (and taped it) but after 30 seconds I realised it wasn't going to get a mention. Very poor.

Though did they talk about Daniel Anderson getting the chop from Parra? It's grand final week after all, but if they spoke about Ando and ignored Stewart then it's a fair dinkum c*ck-up.

Be very interested to hear if you get a reply Ryan....that is such crap....I really do hate the media they are all arseholes.

Email sent to Ms Wilson:

Dear Rebecca,

You made this accusation which was significant in a media campaign which turned public opinion into a blind rage against Brett Stewart.:

"Stewart has admitted he was so drunk he has forgotten everything, including the alleged sexual assault in the early hours of the morning. The old "I forgot" defence just will not wash any more with cynical onlookers."

http://www.adelaidenow.com.au/sport/league-culture-is-crook-to-the-core/story-e6frecj3-1111119129739

Yet in the trial he had a clear recollection of what had happened that night.  And the Crown were unable to provide evidence to dispute his recollections.  Obviously any prior admission of an inability to recall would affect the jury's reliance on his testimony.  If your claim had been truthful, then that evidence would have been significant in the context of the trial, and a Crown case that obviously struggled to find evidence of that nature.

Did you hide evidence from the Crown, did you provide that evidence and they reject it as unreliable, or were your claims simply untrue and not supportable?  If they were untrue what action would you take to rectify the damage you directly caused to his reputation? And does it disturb you that people sometimes take their own lives when faced with relentless media attacks as severe as Brett Stewart faced in the last 18 months before being proven innocent? That it can destroy the lives of families and friends for someone falsely accused?

I agree that alcohol abuse is a curse on this society.  Some people even recklessly risk other people's lives by driving drunk.  Perhaps they are the people you should focus your venomous attacks on, rather than decent, innocent, sober-living, and sober-driving gentlemen like Brett Stewart.

I look forward to your response,

Regards,

Smooth!!  Can't believe her DUI hasn't given her more of an objective point of view.

If any response it'll be something lame like 'i only report on what i'm told'...glorified gossip machines.

eggson link said:
Smooth!!  Can't believe her DUI hasn't given her more of an objective point of view.

If any response it'll be something lame like 'i only report on what i'm told'...glorified gossip machines.
And there's a not so subtle difference between:

"There's a rumour that ...", and

"Stewart has admitted ..."

Team P W L PD Pts
7 6 1 54 14
6 5 1 59 12
6 4 2 53 10
6 4 2 30 10
7 4 2 25 9
8 4 4 73 8
7 4 3 40 8
7 4 3 24 8