Active Support (the "cheer group" section)

• We had an issue with background services between march 10th and 15th or there about. This meant the payment services were not linking to automatic upgrades. If you paid for premium membership and are still seeing ads please let me know and the email you used against PayPal and I cam manually verify and upgrade your account.
Rugby League is such an active, clustered game on the field, that we Fans can barely manage the intricacies of 'Maanly, Maanly!' chant, whilst keeping tackle count/forward passes/shepherds/wrestles and offside penalty suggestions for the two Referees and two Touch Judges.:p

Soccer seems to be a open and simple rules game, so it lends itself to more off field involvement - maybe that's why their is so much crowd angst too.

But we MWTS, do appreciate the sentiment of your post:)

I grewup loving watching premier league even when palace were not in it and used to love tge songs and chants. My dad being english used to explain some ofthem to me. I would love to see it in league as it does add to it. But the difference is league is often action packed from start to finish and thr game requires full attention. However even the most ardant football fan would admit soccer has more than its fair share of flat spots through the game

SEanth i was amongst the cove at that 1-1 draw & was gutted when we SFC led 2-0 & lost 3-2 in the previous game against the tards.

Mate i like your idea unfortunately it's a different code, rugby league is only played in a handful of countries football is played all around the world so singing is a part of the sport.

Maaanly, maaanly is propably the best you'll get as i don't think there's much time to sing in rugby league.The game is played with more intensity than football.By the way guys the nrl is coming to an end there's an a league thread allready running in the general sport section, hope to hear from everyone there in the off season.

That Cherry Evans and Foran song is quality. I'll be pulling that one out for sure on Sunday. Loving how the Man City fans were all dancing on the streets outside the pub singing it!

Go Manly!

Brookie4eva said:
Jono said:
mates said to me "if you bring a megaphone its getting shoved up your arse".

Yes, I did make that comment.

And I remain committed to that !!!
So its a win win

Good to see more Cove guys in here. Interesting to see someone from RBB to haha (we all love Manly so it's ok!)

All the megaphone is used for is to say which chant to do, sometimes to start off a certain chant and if things are getting quiet, to then chant over the rest of the active area to get them louder again. It's not really used much at all really I think you guys may think it's used constantly from kick off till full time.

Rugby League support certainly is different to A-League and football around the world like people are saying but looking at the Burrow, they certainly did some work in the last off season. They won't be as big as most A-League supporter groups but for NRL are doing damn good.

I think with good planning done in the off season, we can certainly at least catch up to the Burrow.

Maybe the club could give a dedicated area fenced off on the hill to make that a little easier?

Jethro said:
@SEanth

The Silvertails website already has songs and chants.

Hi Jethro. I think the link you provided I mentioned in my original post. Being use to the soccer chants, some of those are just horrible. Especially the "everywhere we go people wanna know" that is saved for school kids and never should be chanted in pro sport!

Since the A league has been around for only a few years shouldn't they have not stolen all our manly chants that you are whinging about?

As explained already multiple times, it's the chants that are very UNIQUE to certain groups in a country (in any sporting supporter groups) that shouldn't be copied.

To suggest "our Manly chants" were copied by A-League, with a chant primary school kids do and saints go marching in tune, which is done by most supporter groups in Australia is just ridiculous

Example, Red & Black Bloc, or the RBB which are the Western Sydney Wanderers fans chant to the crowd "Who do we sing for" and crowd all yell back "we sing for Wanderers". The Yellow Army, Mariners fans, copied this late in the season in the Asian Champions League and did it soooo much worse which made them a laughing stock for both reasons, along with a huge backlash from the RBB and other fans in the A-League angry about them trying to copy something unique from another group in the A-League.

SEanth said:
As explained already multiple times, it's the chants that are very UNIQUE to certain groups in a country (in any sporting supporter groups) that shouldn't be copied.

To suggest "our Manly chants" were copied by A-League, with a chant primary school kids do and saints go marching in tune, which is done by most supporter groups in Australia is just ridiculous

Example, Red & Black Bloc, or the RBB which are the Western Sydney Wanderers fans chant to the crowd "Who do we sing for" and crowd all yell back "we sing for Wanderers". The Yellow Army, Mariners fans, copied this late in the season in the Asian Champions League and did it soooo much worse which made them a laughing stock for both reasons, along with a huge backlash from the RBB and other fans in the A-League angry about them trying to copy something unique from another group in the A-League.

Except for the fact that they took this from Sydney FC.

Now now Jono, don't you know that WSW are the oldest club ever? They practically invented football, just ask them.

All of the HAL clubs are just plastic modern football day-tripper institutions. Us Sydney Hakkoah FC supporters should just remain quiet & continue to pash all of our mates.

ifernolan said:
[video=youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PSR2dViM5IE[/video]

Well, the Poms can keep that monotonous repetitive crap as far as I'm concerned.

I find often when we start the Manly chant at Brookie, the guys usually drop the ball! lol.

Singing songs etc isn't really a league fans go. As stated previously, there's too much going on in league to forget about the game and chant and sing. So many times when the Manly chant has started, something happens and everyone stops chanting and start screaming which is better.

I'd rather just hear the good ol' Maanly, Maanly, Maanly chant long and loud!;)

As for the burrow, i was VERY SURPRISED to hear they use a recorded chant at the souths games. I went to the souths v roosters round 26 game and their rabbitohs chant was a recorded one that was trying to attract the crowd to join in...which a lot did. When i watch their games at home, i always thought it was all the supporters chanting. So even the burrow and souths supporters need prompting.

That crowd chant recording was embarrasing! i first noticed it through the tele at the Bluetongue game when whoever was in control of it, got a bit trigger happy. I'm all for a good announcer getting a chant going, but a pre-recorded crowd is pretty lame! Soccer can keep their sing-a-longs, suits the game as has been said many times, plenty of breaks in action. bit of fun to have a few to rev up pre-game / half time / post game, but i can't see them taking off during the games out here. not enough time for it.
I like what our little mob seem to do, can always hear them home or away through the tele, so they're doing a great job as is.

We only need the one chant and that will reverberate around the stadium tomorrow and bring a chill to all. MAAAAAAAAANNLY MAAAAAAAAAANLY MAAAAAAAAANLY

RBB took that chant from us and made something that was crap into something awesome and theirs. Cove don't do it anymore. If you can take a chant one club does and completely take it off them, go for it. Could Manly do that and take chants off RBB? Hell no!
But as wolfpack said, RBB invented everything...... (an A-League joke)

"Yes. Because ultras are what league needs right now... "

There's a difference with ultraz and those who chant

"We only need the one chant and that will reverberate around the stadium tomorrow and bring a chill to all. MAAAAAAAAANNLY MAAAAAAAAAANLY MAAAAAAAAANLY"

Don't get me wrong this sounds great when so many are doing it but certainly need more and certainly need the timing and sync around the crowd to be right

manlywarringah said:
I find often when we start the Manly chant at Brookie, the guys usually drop the ball! lol.

Singing songs etc isn't really a league fans go. As stated previously, there's too much going on in league to forget about the game and chant and sing. So many times when the Manly chant has started, something happens and everyone stops chanting and start screaming which is better.

I'd rather just hear the good ol' Maanly, Maanly, Maanly chant long and loud!;)

As for the burrow, i was VERY SURPRISED to hear they use a recorded chant at the souths games. I went to the souths v roosters round 26 game and their rabbitohs chant was a recorded one that was trying to attract the crowd to join in...which a lot did. When i watch their games at home, i always thought it was all the supporters chanting. So even the burrow and souths supporters need prompting.

Been to an English game have we.......

The attitude of not singing at games is primarily an Australian thing. But with the introduction of the A League you'll see more and more active group support at games.

Up to you if you choose to get amongst it.

PONTIAN SEA EAGLE said:
SEanth i was amongst the cove at that 1-1 draw & was gutted when we SFC led 2-0 & lost 3-2 in the previous game against the tards.

Mate i like your idea unfortunately it's a different code, rugby league is only played in a handful of countries football is played all around the world so singing is a part of the sport.

Maaanly, maaanly is propably the best you'll get as i don't think there's much time to sing in rugby league.The game is played with more intensity than football.By the way guys the nrl is coming to an end there's an a league thread allready running in the general sport section, hope to hear from everyone there in the off season.

I'll give you a guess at how many....

Members online

No members online now.

Latest posts

Team P W L PD Pts
6 5 1 59 12
6 5 1 20 12
6 4 2 53 10
6 4 2 30 10
7 4 2 25 9
7 4 3 40 8
7 4 3 24 8