An idea

• We had an issue with background services between march 10th and 15th or there about. This meant the payment services were not linking to automatic upgrades. If you paid for premium membership and are still seeing ads please let me know and the email you used against PayPal and I cam manually verify and upgrade your account.
  • We have been getting regular requests for users who have been locked out of their accounts because they have changed email adresses over the lifetime of their accounts. Please make sure the email address under your account is your current and correct email address in order to avoid this in the future. You can set your email address at https://silvertails.net/account/account-details

Snake

Snake's Alive!
Can the Bunker be called on only to officiate grounding of the ball (including foot on touch line etc) and only at match speed, not slow motion where laws of physics indicate that unless the player slams it down hard, there will always appear to be separation.

If they stopped allowing the video ref to rule on forward passes because of angles, then why still offside? Stop wasting precious time on replay after replay and let the touch judges and referees rule with their eyes in real time. The fans will start coming back.

I have no faith in the bunker as they have fcked up with grounding of the ball as well previously .

Can the Bunker be called on only to officiate grounding of the ball (including foot on touch line etc) and only at match speed, not slow motion where laws of physics indicate that unless the player slams it down hard, there will always appear to be separation.

If they stopped allowing the video ref to rule on forward passes because of angles, then why still offside? Stop wasting precious time on replay after replay and let the touch judges and referees rule with their eyes in real time. The fans will start coming back.
And put cameras from above pointed down so we can rule on forward passes again

I can't see the difference in being able to rule off or onside and not forward passes.
It's all about camera angles so they say so if they can do one why not the other?
Just get rid of it, simplify the game, make the touchies earn their chaff , introduce in goal touchies again, that way any mistakes are in real time and we move on.
They are not eradicating howlers with the technology so let's do without all the bs.

I can't see the difference in being able to rule off or onside and not forward passes.
It's all about camera angles so they say so if they can do one why not the other?
Just get rid of it, simplify the game, make the touchies earn their chaff , introduce in goal touchies again, that way any mistakes are in real time and we move on.
They are not eradicating howlers with the technology so let's do without all the bs.
That is 100% what I am saying...do away with the bs and let the game be entertainment again and not an exact science.

That is 100% what I am saying...do away with the bs and let the game be entertainment again and not an exact science.
We are faced with arguments like "If the technology is there we have to use it", but if they are still getting it wrong then do away with it because it's just an interruption that mostly takes away the moment.
But it's more than that.
It's a massive over complication of the game and ad hoc tacking on of rules.
A case in point is a player juggling the ball into another player and catching it again. The ball moves two inches in a split second yet it's enough to stop the game for a scrum.
Knock backs are now knock ons and a player can be deemed to have lost control of he juggles the ball yet catches it on the way down.
If it doesn't hit the ground then bloody well play on !!!
They have become way too cute and clever for their own ability and have turned the game into a forensic malaise of micro investigations trying to find a way to find error.
Continuity and free flow are the casualties.
Yet you can play the ball any old how and throw as many forward passes from dummy half as you like.
God please out someone in charge who knows football.
Before it's too late !!!

Last edited:

I reckon the Sharks first try today was another Bunker balls up!!!
He may have lost the ball but any part of the arm on the ball when it was on the line constitutes grounding.

So I don't even trust them to officiate on grounding! :clap:

I think that there should be a simplified process. The referee calls for a review without stating try or no try. Stating I want to check the following and then a decision can be made considering all the facts provided rather than this bollocks of inconclusive evidence to overturn a call, we say that today with the Taumololo try, there was severe doubt about that. The stripping rule has to be reviewed as well as that is a total lottery now and forward passes should be scrutinized by the bunker because that is a pet hate of most of us fans who see blatant forward pass trys awarded. The NRL MUST review the whole process and make it easier for the referees to be able to just officiate.

I think that there should be a simplified process. The referee calls for a review without stating try or no try. Stating I want to check the following and then a decision can be made considering all the facts provided rather than this bollocks of inconclusive evidence to overturn a call, we say that today with the Taumololo try, there was severe doubt about that. The stripping rule has to be reviewed as well as that is a total lottery now and forward passes should be scrutinized by the bunker because that is a pet hate of most of us fans who see blatant forward pass trys awarded. The NRL MUST review the whole process and make it easier for the referees to be able to just officiate.
the best fix to the forward pass problem is to train the touchies to use their eyes again. When the video ref used to rule on forward passes, the touchies stopped bothering and then when they took the forward pass off the video ref, the NRL forgot to tell the touchies they needed to do their job again. 100 years of RL survived without all this technology and as harveys elbow correctly pointed out, they make just as many, if not more errors now only it takes longer to arrive at these mistakes, thus robbing the fans of any spontaneity in the moment. The game is dying a painful death due to the search for perfection and the forensic analysis of what once used to be a simple game. It's devastating for me because I loved the game and I love Manly but the flaws in the adjudication of the game is ruining a passion for me and thousands of other fans.

We are faced with arguments like "If the technology is there we have to use it", but if they are still getting it wrong then do away with it because it's just an interruption that mostly takes away the moment.
But it's more than that.
It's a massive over complication of the game and ad hoc tacking on of rules.
A case in point is a player juggling the ball into another player and catching it again. The ball moves two inches in a split second yet it's enough to stop the game for a scrum.
Knock backs are now knock ons and a player can be deemed to have lost control of he juggles the ball yet catches it on the way down.
If it doesn't hit the ground then bloody well play on !!!
They have become way too cute and clever for their own ability and have turned the game into a forensic malaise of micro investigations trying to find a way to find error.
Continuity and free flow are the casualties.
Yet you can play the ball any old how and throw as many forward passes from dummy half as you like.
God please out someone in charge who knows football.
Before it's too late !!!
Yeah it's pretty much touch football rules now...if the ball hits the ground, it's a knock on regardless...so dumb!

Every year the NRL surveys the fans and members about what they think of the game and more and more the number 1 issue that concerns the fans is the officiating we see. The referees are just outsourcing decisions and the bunker rubber stamps bad mistakes made. I just listened to the Sharks coach Flanagan and his press conference was identical to TB,s one. The coaches are fed up, the players are fed up, the fans and members are fed up yet the NRL IGNORES!!! this and the game is suffering. Fans are voting with their feet now. I think the big thing that has not been mentioned is that the Manly v Riff game attracts just over 15K crowd and next door the Swans get over 45K to an elimination final. That is damming for rugby league!!!!!

People think the game in the 70s and 80s was slow.
Really??
Watch them.
Players had to release a tackled player immediately.
The play the balls were quicker.
Backlines stood deep giving them more room to move.
You could strike for the ball from marker, take a quick tap etc etc etc.
The game is quicker now?
No.
Players might be.
But they have taken unpredictability and variety out of the game.
As has been stated , people are losing interest !!

Last edited:
Its a game played by humans. Humans errors are part and parcel. Video ref has just as many if not more human errors. Alls it does is destroy the excitement of the game. Piss it off and just leave it with the ref. When they have to make decisions like the 9's. They do just fine.

You would think with the benefit of so many camera angles there would be no errors at all.

Sadly not the case.

The problem is when players make mistakes it's their team that suffers. The refs errors affect others.

We are faced with arguments like "If the technology is there we have to use it"

Before the video reviews I remember most commentators (vividly remember Sterling) saying that exact thing.

But, as you pointed out, with all the camera's they still get it wrong and Archer still comes out and says they are correct.

Additionally, as was pointed out, an ex penrith player was officiating in the bunker. Unacceptable. Even test cricket don't have home umpires anymore. Yet we all have to go along with the misconception that refs 'call it as they see it,' but no one says..."Yes, but you see things in an anti Manly way....or a pro your ex team way."

I was a big fan of the idea of the bunker, but unlike the nfl, nhl and basically any professional organisation using it..... the nrl are the only bunch of tosspots that are screwing it up!!

I'm basically at the point where the ref's shouldn't be able to use it...but captains (and coaches) should be able to use it with a 'challenge' (the nfl and now the nhl have that option).

For those advocating the return of Harrigan, there was a reason he was nicknamed 'hollywood' and he also is a great believer of refereeing players of past incidents. Neither should be acceptable.

It's a lot harder to rule on a forward pass than an offside play, because a passed ball will always have forward momentum, not all balls caught in front of the passing player are forward, it depends on how it leaves the player's hands.
With offside plays it's easier to rule on whether a player is in front of the kicker, having said that, Walkers try was tnconclusive , but seeing it went up as try to the bunker it should have been allowed as even on replay there was a lot of doubt

Team P W L PD Pts
9 8 1 116 18
9 7 2 72 16
9 7 2 49 16
9 6 3 57 14
10 6 4 115 12
10 6 4 58 12
9 5 4 -14 12
10 5 4 31 11
9 4 5 19 10
10 5 5 -13 10
10 5 5 -56 10