Annesley's weakly "Why this happened" report - 2024 edition.

• We had an issue with background services between march 10th and 15th or there about. This meant the payment services were not linking to automatic upgrades. If you paid for premium membership and are still seeing ads please let me know and the email you used against PayPal and I cam manually verify and upgrade your account.

globaleagle

01100111 01100101
Staff member
Premium Member
Tipping Member
Hello everyone!

It's the thread we all need, but we all hate. That's right, another season of refs boss Annesley's "weakly" report complete with a 5th year of template excuses.

1 - The refs got it right
2 - The refs got it wrong
3 - The refs got it wrong but I'm sick of everyone bagging the refs week in and week out.
4 - The refs got it wrong but "players make mistakes tooooooo."

That aside:

First up Turbo's slight brush into Tedesco after being pushed Victor Radley. Or as the media have indicated: "Turbo's head long full sprint dive into the face of god Teddy using only his shoulder..waaaaaaah"

Annesley's response:

There was another controversial (lol) moment in Manly on Sunday afternoon when the hosts were awarded a try even though it looked like Tom Trbojevic had taken out (ah hahahaha) James Tedesco as he was contesting a kick.

But Annesley says the referees got it right, with Victor Radley playing a role in the collision and that Trbojevic had every right to be in a position to contest the ball.
Thank you common sense - ie - having eyes!

Less important issues:

There was another incident on Friday night where the Bulldogs were denied a try because referee Ziggy Przeklasa-Adamski blocked Braydon Trindall from tackling the much larger Viliame Kikau.
The Bulldogs weren’t happy with the decision, and it turns out they were right.
I don’t believe this try should have been overturned,” Annesley said.
“The referee has to be somewhere on the field, he can’t just disappear.

NRL head of football Graham Annesley has defended the match review committee’s decision to suspend Storm halfback Jahrome Hughes for one match, declaring “it’s never acceptable to push a referee”.

I have a feeling the Fox commentators made their judgement purely off the front on shot, which masks Teddy until the point he is mid air and falling. When you see it from the in-goal shot, it’s clear that he initiates the contact and that Tom is directly under the position where the ball will land, eyes up, arms out.

If they’d viewed the behind shot and used their brains before blowing up, they’d see it. However, controversy is their business and so we get Sunday’s reaction.

I have a feeling the Fox commentators made their judgement purely off the front on shot, which masks Teddy until the point he is mid air and falling. When you see it from the in-goal shot, it’s clear that he initiates the contact and that Tom is directly under the position where the ball will land, eyes up, arms out.

If they’d viewed the behind shot and used their brains before blowing up, they’d see it. However, controversy is their business and so we get Sunday’s reaction.
they miss a lot of details because they are too busy talking, sometimes about totally unrelated ****e

No excuses for the commentators. They see things on multiple camera views. They have an obligation to remain objective and provide a balanced view. We had a headline in Fox Sports online quoting Alexanders outburst and it turns out Alexander and Smith both got it wrong! Not good enough.

What about Guacca's "no-try"? There was not one person at the ground, including the on-field officials and players, who had any doubt it was a fair try.
Enter the bloody Vidiot who again turned pseudo CSI sleuth and reckoned there was a minute moment in which Guacca didn't have full control of the ball. Why is the NRL jumping at shadows and looking for reasons to disallow tries? I was at the match and couldn't believe the decision, which could have affected the outcome of the match.
I went home and watched a replay and at least the Channel Nein commentators called the decision out as ludicrous. I note that Joey Johns is following my/our calls to judge tries only in real time, not stop-frame which distorts reality.
What the human eye sees is how we have judged RL since its inception. If we have to have this bastardised system of video adjudication at least let's return to a common sense application of it.

What about Guacca's "no-try"? There was not one person at the ground, including the on-field officials and players, who had any doubt it was a fair try.
Enter the bloody Vidiot who again turned pseudo CSI sleuth and reckoned there was a minute moment in which Guacca didn't have full control of the ball. Why is the NRL jumping at shadows and looking for reasons to disallow tries? I was at the match and couldn't believe the decision, which could have affected the outcome of the match.
I went home and watched a replay and at least the Channel Nein commentators called the decision out as ludicrous. I note that Joey Johns is following my/our calls to judge tries only in real time, not stop-frame which distorts reality.
What the human eye sees is how we have judged RL since its inception. If we have to have this bastardised system of video adjudication at least let's return to a common sense application of it.
I was comfortable with that call, if an opposing side had bobbled the ball in the lead up to grounding it against us I would have been pissed if they hadn't overruled it.

I think the video ref got both calls right.

Yeah, but did you actually notice it bobble minutely before it was highlighted? Did anyone in the ground or watching on telly see it other than the video ref?
He did lose control of the ball - why? because the roosters player stripped it out,

video ref sees this, why not a penalty - 2 man tackle and strip?
Naaa easier to call it a loose carry

video ref calls it an illegal strip, they then would have to call it a penalty try.
Too controversial, lets play it safe,

outcome - he lost control of the ball without any interference from the defender.

"carry on, nothing to see here"

He did lose control of the ball - why? because the roosters player stripped it out,

video ref sees this, why not a penalty - 2 man tackle and strip?
Naaa easier to call it a loose carry

video ref calls it an illegal strip, they then would have to call it a penalty try.
Too controversial, lets play it safe,

outcome - he lost control of the ball without any interference from the defender.

"carry on, nothing to see here"
You are allowed to strip the ball if the tackled player is in the act of scoring a try. The questions, if it was a strip, are which way did it go and off whom?

Yeah, but did you actually notice it bobble minutely before it was highlighted? Did anyone in the ground or watching on telly see it other than the video ref?
This is exactly the point.
If we are going to stop-frame every try to 'ensure' that our eyes are deceiving us then why not during the lead-up to the try? Why not the whole match? In fact, why have an on-field human ref at all? Let's just use a drone controlled by AI?
In fact, let's not even bother with human footballers. Let's just play video RL because getting everything 100% correct is what sport is about... isn't it?

This is exactly the point.
If we are going to stop-frame every try to 'ensure' that our eyes are deceiving us then why not during the lead-up to the try? Why not the whole match? In fact, why have an on-field human ref at all? Let's just use a drone controlled by AI?
In fact, let's not even bother with human footballers. Let's just play video RL because getting everything 100% correct is what sport is about... isn't it?
I agree, its getting to be too much time watching endless replays and trying to hear what the bunker is saying all the while the commentators are talking over them.

It should be up to the referee to ask for assistance from the video review if he isnt 100% sure of his ruling.
If the ref calls it a try and is confident it's a try, then there is no need to involve the bunker.

I agree, its getting to be too much time watching endless replays and trying to hear what the bunker is saying all the while the commentators are talking over them.

It should be up to the referee to ask for assistance from the video review if he isnt 100% sure of his ruling.
If the ref calls it a try and is confident it's a try, then there is no need to involve the bunker.
I'd rather they just make the right call. It's bad enough how many times the Eels have scored against us off forward passes over the years. Add the missing of blatant knock ons and it would be infuriating.

I'd rather they just make the right call. It's bad enough how many times the Eels have scored against us off forward passes over the years. Add the missing of blatant knock ons and it would be infuriating.
Yep, look at last weeks game for example.

Croker got pulled for a forward pass from dummy half by the touchie - which was the correct call.
Roosters get possession.
Three tackles later, Smith throws a forward pass from dummy half even closer to the touchie and he let's it go, Roosters score in that set to level it up.

Whether it's the touchie or the vidiot, make the right calls all the time or stay out of it.

Staff online

Latest posts

Team P W L PD Pts
7 6 1 54 14
6 5 1 59 12
8 5 2 39 11
6 4 2 53 10
6 4 2 30 10
8 4 4 73 8
7 4 3 40 8
7 4 3 24 8
7 3 4 17 8