Annesley's weakly "Why this happened" report - 2024 edition.

• We had an issue with background services between march 10th and 15th or there about. This meant the payment services were not linking to automatic upgrades. If you paid for premium membership and are still seeing ads please let me know and the email you used against PayPal and I cam manually verify and upgrade your account.
What are you trying to say that annesley and the refs actually used some ‘feel of the game’ commonsense for once.

Dan innane will be gutted and will still be jumping up and down saying it was the wrong call. Funny that if it was one of the favourite teams who did exactly the same, no one would be making a big deal out of it
The reporting on this incident was disgraceful. When we live in an era where there are weekly clangers, often costing teams games, the outrage was ridiculous and strange. Rugby league died today…. REALLY???

Press Print & Video Articles:

What are you trying to say that annesley and the refs actually used some ‘feel of the game’ commonsense for once.

Dan innane will be gutted and will still be jumping up and down saying it was the wrong call. Funny that if it was one of the favourite teams who did exactly the same, no one would be making a big deal out of it
I was thinking the same thing MissKate. Nearly every weekend we have had something controversial happen in a game but because its Manly, oh no, bring in the FBI, what did Parker say, Rugby League died today. What a dumb thing to say. What about the high shots Penrith got away with, they didnt go on about that

The reporting on this incident was disgraceful. When we live in an era where there are weekly clangers, often costing teams games, the outrage was ridiculous and strange. Rugby league died today…. REALLY???
Yep, we all know that 90% of the time it's called a knock on but that doesn't necessarily make it a wrong call.
How many times do we see passes called "flat at best" but move along it is what it is.
It's not really any different is it?

They always say the 50/50's even out over the year, no doubt we'll get some ( already have ) calls go the other way and another team will benefit.

Isn't it better that they called play on rather than blow the knock on and then realise it wasn't, too late then (and we'd unlikely challenge it.)

I thought it was a knock-on, and didn't even get remotely excited when Koala scooted away. I had become used to refs calling virtually every dropped ball a knock-on.
Does this new interpretation mean that ref's will be more sensible when it comes to dropped balls, considering knock-backs? I hope so.
As it transpired Manly won the match handsomely so this hotly debated decision wasn't a game-changer. It could, however, signal a change in refereeing because sometimes balls do get knocked backwards when they are dropped.
I have actually noticed that whilst refs still call these knock-ons 90% of the time, the bunker tends to call them knocked back if challenged by the captain…

this, of course, was the reverse situation and the sad part of the challenge system is that Manly would never have got a chance to score the try if the on-field ref pulls it up… we could have challenged and possibly ended up with zero tackle play the ball 10m out from our line…

I am happy for all of these to be called knocked back but, agree, they have been ruled a knock-on since Moses was a boy…

It's pretty simple really. If it touches your hands and then lands behind you, it's not a knock on. It doesn't matter if others are called knock ons, or how guilty the players looked, or how pissed off Corey Parker is, or how many beers Buzz Rothfield had the night before...

Touched hands - goes backwards - lands on ground. Not a knock on. End of.

I thought it was a knock-on, and didn't even get remotely excited when Koala scooted away. I had become used to refs calling virtually every dropped ball a knock-on.
I felt the same way, in fact l was yelling at Koula ( through the TV!) to slow down and get tackled assuming the bunker would pull it up.

Would to be funny to see if he slowed down to get tackled but the Panthers players not wanting to tackle him....both teams assuming the bunker would call No Try....Koula running in circles and the Panthers diving behind him ... just add Benny Hill music of course.

Last edited:
It was interesting (well to me anyway) to listen to the bunker conversation as the theme of their conversation was all about 'finding something wrong (neg)' as opposed to 'supporting the ref's decision (pos)'.

It was all, and I'm paraphrasing:

See if he knocks it on from this angle...
Can we see if he knocks it on from this different angle...

It possibly should be:
Does this angle show the knock back...
Does this angle support the ref....

They always seems to be from the point of "Right....lets find a mistake" Their language should be "Right, lets see if there's footage supporting the ref."

Probably a small thing (that's what she said) - but it's certainly a cough-police-cough tactic when interviewing people.

eg: How fast was the car going when it smashed into the other vehicle? - will get you on average a higher speed estimation than the question....
What speed was the car doing when it came into contact with the other vehicle?

It was interesting (well to me anyway) to listen to the bunker conversation as the theme of their conversation was all about 'finding something wrong (neg)' as opposed to 'supporting the ref's decision (pos)'.

It possibly should be:

They always seems to be from the point of "Right....lets find a mistake" Their language should be "Right, lets see if there's footage supporting the ref."

Probably a small thing (that's what she said) - but it's certainly a cough-police-cough tactic when interviewing people.

eg: How fast was the car going when it smashed into the other vehicle? - will get you on average a higher speed estimation than the question....
30 speed.

It possibly should be:

This is so true, the same as the Ben T knock on in goal, it merely brushed his arm but all the bunker does is search, search, search until you find a fault. It is so negative and again no real feel for the game

GA tells us that the bunker cannot rule on 10m infringements due to the unreliability of telling where 10m is when the PTB is not on a marked line. This was in acknowledging that the Raider kid, whom charged down Foz’s attempted field goal, was offside. Acknowledged that the ref missed it, but that the bunker couldn’t intervene due to the unreliability issue mentioned above.

Now, wait for it… Spent 5-10 minutes at the start of the presser to go through some of the stats that are reviewed every week by NRL and refs. Discussed the 6A in the context of the lopsided Raiders-Tits game. Acknowledged that it was lopsided, but then pointed to another stat, which showed how many 10m infringements were missed for each team. (10 missed for Raiders and 28 for Tits). Even emphasised that these are FACTUAL, and done by an independent body. Obviously did this to excuse the lopsided count and suggest the Tits we’re ill-disciplined and actually lucky not to be penalised more than they were.

Can somebody explain to me why an independent body can measure 10m infringements (as factual), but our gazillion-dollar bunker can’t??? 🤔

Oh, and really liked the chicken-egg misdirection at the start of the presser….

Apparently, when a team defends for longer, they are more ill-disciplined because they are tired 🤦‍♂️😖

Wow! So, I guess they were defending longer in the first place because it… just happened? 🤔

If the titans made that many infringements surely they should have been warned that next time someone will be binned the next time.

That is how it used to be before this stupid 6A rule came in, repeated penalties and someone was binned

As that didn’t happen then all indications point to either bad or corrupt reffing

Hard to follow what NRL are saying. The Raiders player was off side. They say this is a six again infringement and not a penalty unless the play breaks down.

So if i understand this as to how it should have played out per the NRL logic, all inside 5 seconds?
Raider seen offside by referee.
Referee calls six again.
Titans player takes a drop kick attempt (Titan kicker probably doesn't know its six again, or they think this is their best chance with time running out).
Titans drop kick attempts misses due to the offside Raider's interference.
The Titans have in effect chosen to kick the ball away, play hasn't broken down and its play on with Raiders in possession.

Why wouldn't every defender in a team facing a field goal attempt now choose to be offside?

Latest posts

Team P W L PD Pts
7 6 1 99 14
7 6 1 54 14
7 5 2 36 12
8 5 2 39 11
8 5 3 64 10
7 4 3 49 10
8 4 4 73 8
7 3 4 17 8
8 4 4 -14 8
8 4 4 -16 8