ANZAC Day - France, vancouver, to claresholm (2014)

• We had an issue with background services between march 10th and 15th or there about. This meant the payment services were not linking to automatic upgrades. If you paid for premium membership and are still seeing ads please let me know and the email you used against PayPal and I cam manually verify and upgrade your account.

globaleagle

01100111 01100101
Staff member
Premium Member
Tipping Member
Hi fellow Manly fans.

It's okay to move this thread, I just wanted to show I've put up the pics.

As promised, some pics of the ANZAC day ceremony in Villers-Brettoneux, France.

10 years ago the Anzac day ceremony in VB was celebrated on the 'nearest' Saturday to Anzac day by a few locals. Now it has grown to a special day, on the 25th April, with 4000 people attending.

On "Anzac" day in 1918, the Germans launched a huge offensive at VB in an all out attempt to bring about the end to the war. What happened was they were beaten back through furious and brave fighting which lead the way for the allies to bring about the end of the war on the 11th of November.

April 24th:

I visited the huge cathedral in Amiens, a town just North of VB, and in one of the side chapels I found some flags - well in fact flags from:
Australia, New Zealand, Canada, America, and Newfoundland.
11.jpg

Further along, an engraved tablet:
10.jpg

9.jpg

7.jpg

April 25th
It was cold, fah fah fah-reezing cold. Rain, sleet, and even snow was forecast and 3500 hardy folk still turned up. Luckily the weather held.
it's certainly a proud moment to hear how schools still have "Let us never forget Australia" written in their classrooms and for the mayor to say "vive la Australie" and "vive la New Zealand".

A humbling time, a time for reflection, a sad and yet proud time, a time for more pics from me and less typing.
6.jpg

5.jpg

4.jpg

2.jpg

Lest we forget:
1.jpg

RE: ANZAC Day - France style (with pics)

Definatly looks like a good trip something i would like to do one day.

i take it thats your slouch hat in all the pics

Great stuff GE.
Thanks for sharing mate.
Truly humbling stuff what these Diggers went through for our freedom and our country.

Awesome photos GE, must have been a great experience.

At least it'll get your mind off the Nucks, eh? :p

Thanks guys, it was a great, humbling experience.

That is my hat in the pics but it's an akubra you can purchase.

If I get some good mothers day pics I'll post them too.

Canucks? Who are those chokers? :p

Thanks again, and thanks to those who serve.

G'day global, I too went to villers - bretonneux for the dawn service this Anzac Day at the conclusion of a 5 week holiday driving around Italy & France. We arrived home late last night. I have never been colder in my life however it is an experience not to be missed and one of the most memorable experiences of my life. I think the cold actually added to the experience and made you wonder how our brave troops managed to endure the cold & rain for days/nights and months on end. Can't wait to get to Brookie next Sunday.

Sheikheagle said:
G'day global, I too went to villers - bretonneux for the dawn service this Anzac Day at the conclusion of a 5 week holiday driving around Italy & France. We arrived home late last night. I have never been colder in my life however it is an experience not to be missed and one of the most memorable experiences of my life. I think the cold actually added to the experience and made you wonder how our brave troops managed to endure the cold & rain for days/nights and months on end. Can't wait to get to Brookie next Sunday.

I thought I recognised you! You were the one singing the national anthem at full volume, lol.

It was super cold, then I gave my scarf to my wife as she was colder!

I hope you had a great time. Let me know if you think the pics did the morning justice, I have some others but didn't want to bore the forum.

We were on bus A2, but you probably drove out there!

Good to know you were there. :)

Great job with the photos really captured the moment, I am sorry we didnt spot you the wife and I both had Manly beanies on. We went back the following day when the place was empty to soak it in what a remarkable place. Also visited the school what a great museum. As we were unsure of parking we took the bus (A4).

Anzac 2013 today in Vancouver!

About 250-350 there.

Really crappy pics to come (iphone style)

Errr - shall post them later as I've just gotten home, tired and ummmm a bit tipsy from having an 'extra' drink for Earnie (and his son) at Mooses down under.

Thanks again to all who serve and have served.

Thanks for posting those global.

Getting to VB or Gallipoli for an ANZAC Day is definitely on the bucket list.

simon64 said:
Thanks for posting those global.

Getting to VB or Gallipoli for an ANZAC Day is definitely on the bucket list.

No worries. The year went fast. V-B shouldn't be ruled out by anyone. Our soldiers had a lot of success in France/Belgium.

At V-B you also get a seat, don't have to sleep in a sleeping bag all night, and you're at a place where we had a victory, not a loss.

Pics to come.

Again, they are rubbish.

Certainly strange to be having such a 'somber' ceremony with traffic and people wandering past just metres away.

6mgaMbT.jpg

FLT00Ff.jpg

rixyC2b.jpg

w7Za1LZ.jpg

GOnItkv.jpg

od3fEqg.jpg

Good morning Aussies and NZeders.

Something a bit different this year so bear with me.

When I was a young lad, many years ago, I heard my family talking about some long lost relo.

I overheard that he came from a small far northern town called Murwillumbah. He was one of those typical 'all Australian' types: You know the ones, school captain, smart, and actually did the 110 yard sprint in under 11 seconds on a muddy track during a rainy day.

He had joined the RAAF and went over to Canada to learn to fly.

He died in a training accident.

No medals.

No glory.

No parades in his honour, or for the two others who died with him.

Not even the chance to 'do something for his country' in the second "war to end all wars."

A stark reminder that not everyone gets the hollywood version of VC winning heroics.

Just another forgotten casualty of war.

"Where was he killed?" I asked.

"Claresholm, Alberta, in Canada," my father replied.

"Has anyone from the family been there?" I continued.

"No son, it's in the middle of nowhere, none of the family have been to pay their respects."

I just thought that was incredibly sad. Especially as my uncle was in the air force, as was my sister, and except for a quirk of fate, I would have been too. I made a promise to one day, go and pay my respects at his final resting place.

As the years went on, life has a way of consuming most things you do but every now and then he crept back into my mind. Usually around ANZAC day.

Claresholm is a town of 3000 people at most, and about a 13 hour drive from where I currently live.

It was a cold and misty day when I pulled into the outskirts of Clareholm.

It was time to see my great uncle, the other Aussies who lay interred next to him, and to see the abandoned and run down airport that was at one time, home to thousands.

VH2ZA85.jpg

bEqDgRh.jpg

RzeHxlp.jpg

fZvlR6p.jpg

tVhyz6b.jpg

My thanks to the town of Claresholm who take care for and maintain the last resting place of loved ones not forgotten.

-Peace.

Last edited:
Great stuff GE, looks like one I'll have to do in the future.

I'm very humbled to have to opportunity to have been accepted to go to the 100th anniversary next year at ANZAC Cove. Should be great.

ManlyArmy said:
Great stuff GE, looks like one I'll have to do in the future.

I'm very humbled to have to opportunity to have been accepted to go to the 100th anniversary next year at ANZAC Cove. Should be great.

You lucky bugger!

I would recommend....and want to do more myself, France. Where we had a lot of similar efforts to Gallipoli, but with a lot more success.

Going to VB, carrying the slouch hat was an awesome experience.

Seeing schools with the message "Never forget Australia" is a lump in the throat must do. (badly written but hopefully you get the gist.)

To the others...thanks for the likes!

Staff online

• Jethro
    Star Trekkin' across the universe

Latest posts

Team P W L PD Pts
7 6 1 99 14
7 6 1 54 14
7 5 2 36 12
8 5 2 39 11
8 5 3 64 10
7 4 3 49 10