Are you marching today?

• We had an issue with background services between march 10th and 15th or there about. This meant the payment services were not linking to automatic upgrades. If you paid for premium membership and are still seeing ads please let me know and the email you used against PayPal and I cam manually verify and upgrade your account.
Ryan I really see it as (it's hard to explain it on the computer) supply and demand. Three months ago I changed jobs and moved 700 klm's away, my old boss has rung me 3 times a week trying to get me back up to rocky.

If the good workers are there then the employer has the decision to make as to wether to offer good money and conditions to the right employee or pay somebody else a lesser amount to do the job not as well.

Supply and demand. The people that do their job well prosper while those that don't........well don't!

Maddog, fair enough but there are corrupt and poor bosses as well as poor employees. Workers need protection as they have mortgages and families to feed. Bosses need protection from poor employees who are over protected and slack.

Do you really think the current workplace reform is doing that though? The Hawke era in the 80s changed the workplace and the steps taken lately are not going to improve productivity but instead harm the relationships in the workplace.

It is more about ideology than common sense.

Ok guys. Just say a major corporate pulled out a 3.6 billion dollar profit. The CEO decides, lets pump up the share price a little, even when we have increased revenue growth by 12% year on year, whilst expenses have grown at 6% year on year. To do this he decides to lay off 2000 workers, one of them your son or daughter, and one week before Christmas. They have nothing to back up their security.

Good Laws?

Would you feel better knowing there is an award in place that actually protects you and your family against this type of thing happenning?

Remember, a CEO's major role is to attain better, and better results for the stakeholders. To do this, they have to drive margin. The easiest way of driving margin (even in ridiculously strong company's) it to slice the fat off the work force.

I mean these large corporates actually have employees that struggle with workflow, have no relief staff etc..ALREADY....so not only are the people being laid off made to suffer. Staff that remain, and continue on are made to suffer.

Byso?

maddaog

the issue will not be in high skilled workers - it will lie in the lower skill jobs. There isnt that much difference between an average forklift driver and a driver who is really really good at his job. Its the millions of people in these jobs that will get ripped off.

Admin staff are rather easy to come about too, as the comm bank has just showed us.

Its all about turning this place into a china or tawain for lower skilled workers- ie the 3rd world

Interesting topic. Both CW and Ryan are spot on the money.

FYI - I have almost always worked for a renewable contract so I was never protected and survived by delivering. But I can tell you that there are unscrupulous employers that USE people and then dump them. Somewhere there must be a middle ground, between the 3 written warnings and carte blanche powers of dismissal.

Imo the new laws are incredibly one-sided to employers and the very future shape of the workforce is at risk. Young adults will be working for $5 an hour (similar to the USA), any time of the day, any time of the week or public holidays and be dismissed without recourse. That is lunacy and ushers in a new era - an era I don't support.

Latest posts

Team P W L PD Pts
5 4 1 23 10
5 4 1 14 10
6 4 2 48 8
6 4 2 28 8
5 3 2 25 8
5 3 2 14 8
6 3 2 38 7
6 3 2 21 7
6 3 3 37 6
6 3 3 16 6