Auckland Rugby League and MWSE Partnership

• We had an issue with background services between march 10th and 15th or there about. This meant the payment services were not linking to automatic upgrades. If you paid for premium membership and are still seeing ads please let me know and the email you used against PayPal and I cam manually verify and upgrade your account.
95FA4AF5-95D7-430A-9E4B-EAED71C7FB0E.png

I have no idea lol, am guessing that back in the 90s these sts were brand new and must have had a Manly fan naming them

Mark Broadhurst is probably the only local connection to the club, shame the relationship where Manly was bringing a game a year here got nipped in the bud due to covid after 2 years
True, we had such iconic NZ players back then in the nineties, Innes, the Iro brothers and Ridge just to name a few. Imagine a Lyon-Innes centre combo today.

Branching out and looking for young stars is the smart thing to do
There is only so much talent in our own back yard
To limit our selves in our back yard would be limiting our selves of greater opportunities for greater finds

Our Greatest and most Successful Premiership winning force Our Legendary Godfather searched far and wide to build Great Manly Premiership Winning teams
Only a fool would not follow his Premiership Winning Formular

Winning formula stock illustration. Illustration of auto - 58927478

Last edited:
Sick of picking up Penrith’s & Parramatta’s rejects with our western Sydney pathways program.

Sounds like a great initiative, MWSE has always had a strong connection with NZ players - I recall Ray Warren calling a Manly game in the late 80s/early 90s & joking they were colloquially known as the Māori-Warringah Sea Eagles.

Last edited:
@The Who will be ticked....
The Bulldogs have supposedly signed a pathways deal with Canterbury Rugby League in NZ.
Gus is getting around ..
They have a deal with the North Coast of NSW,a deal with Western Clydesdales in Qld and now the South Island in NZ

@The Who will be ticked....
The Bulldogs have supposedly signed a pathways deal with Canterbury Rugby League in NZ.
Gus is getting around ..
They have a deal with the North Coast of NSW,a deal with Western Clydesdales in Qld and now the South Island in NZ
A missed opportunity. Instead of taking advantage of NZ's richest rugby talent our club lowered the bar to recruit talent from the NRL's poorest club. It seems our results-orientated leader may have misread my missives, embarking on a raid of the Black-and-golds instead of the All Blacks.

A shame, as Manly had a foothold here pre covid, but talent wise you’re probably going to pick more up out of Auckland so we aren’t that bad off

Canterbury and Canterbury is probably a pretty natural fit and something that ties the region together

There is a young kid that Brisbane signed a few years back from Christchurch that I’m keeping an eye on, he was a gun as a teenager playing against men

A shame, as Manly had a foothold here pre covid, but talent wise you’re probably going to pick more up out of Auckland so we aren’t that bad off
Canterbury is the most successful rugby team/region in NZ and Australia having won 12 titles (1998, 1999, 2000, 2002, 2005, 2006, 2008, 2017, 2018, 2019, 2022 and 2023), as well as two regionalised titles in 2020 and 2021.
I know it is a rugby stronghold but it must have scores of players talented enough to be a success in the NRL.

Darrell Williams was the first kiwi to win a premiership in 87

Think Lowe and Ridge was perfect timing as it’s when the league coverage took off over here
It’s what got me following them. Plenty of kiwis jumped ship to the warriors in 95, but plenty stayed faithful!

Canterbury is the most successful rugby team/region in NZ and Australia having won 12 titles (1998, 1999, 2000, 2002, 2005, 2006, 2008, 2017, 2018, 2019, 2022 and 2023), as well as two regionalised titles in 2020 and 2021.
I know it is a rugby stronghold but it must have scores of players talented enough to be a success in the NRL.
Yep, but the kids that are good enough are generally heading over to Australia in their late teenage years to have a crack

Brent Todd was the man from Christchurch when I was growing up and would still be the best export. Others off the top of my head would include Kidwell, Hermanson, Vaealiki and Isaako. Ravalawa did his schooling here as well

This Aukland/NZ partnership is no direct link to Manly, who are simply 1 of "many" clubs with the same advantage.
Basically the same as it's been since day 1, with the first team with the talent scouts signing the quality juniors getting the win.
Manly are popular in NZ due to the old signings of the Iro boys, Ridge, Innes and others and personally I basically hate every other team except NZ....they are always a team I like to see do well and though not 1 for having a 2nd favourite team, they are as close as it gets.

Team P W L PD Pts
7 6 1 54 14
6 5 1 59 12
8 5 2 39 11
6 4 2 53 10
6 4 2 30 10
8 4 4 73 8
7 4 3 40 8
7 4 3 24 8
7 3 4 17 8
7 4 3 -8 8
8 4 4 -60 8