Australian team announced (No Watmough)

• We had an issue with background services between march 10th and 15th or there about. This meant the payment services were not linking to automatic upgrades. If you paid for premium membership and are still seeing ads please let me know and the email you used against PayPal and I cam manually verify and upgrade your account.
interesting that no Manly player in top 17!! With us having no salary cap we have been caught out paying overs for players not ranked in top category. Foran and Matai wouldn't make Aussie team either so to be on the cap limit we must be paying big bucks!

Glenn, Kite, Wolfman would be on big overs!! Probably Robbo after 2008 gf.

Darren link said:
interesting that no Manly player in top 17!! With us having no salary cap we have been caught out paying overs for players not ranked in top category. Foran and Matai wouldn't make Aussie team either so to be on the cap limit we must be paying big bucks!

Saints have been caught out as well it seems, they only have Morris there, the same as we would if Lyon was fit

Looking at that 17, and taking into account Thurstons injury, I guess the Cowboys are the club we should be basing ourselves on, 2 in the side in Tonga and Scott and Tate purchased for next season

Darren link said:

Mate, all things considered, if Matai were fit and / or unsuspended, I'd say he'd have made the team. That's just my opinion. I personally reckon he was one of the most damaging centre's this past season.

In fact, he was one of our more consistent performers when on the field. WHEN being the operative word.

It's a shame these International games don't count towards his suspension, because I am a whole lot more comfortable with him IN our side.

Without his aggression, our team is filled with too many softies....Kite, T Williams and co. never show any aggression (ok, except for that time Kitey laid the smackdown on Crocker !!)

Can't believe Tonga held his spot over Lawrence. At least Lawrence knows how to pass the ball. Lote will be catching nothing but a cold this weekend.

Ryan link said:
[quote author=Darren link=topic=185892.msg305492#msg305492 date=1289357014]

Mate, all things considered, if Matai were fit and / or unsuspended, I'd say he'd have made the team. That's just my opinion. I personally reckon he was one of the most damaging centre's this past season.

In fact, he was one of our more consistent performers when on the field. WHEN being the operative word.

It's a shame these International games don't count towards his suspension, because I am a whole lot more comfortable with him IN our side.

Without his aggression, our team is filled with too many softies....Kite, T Williams and co. never show any aggression (ok, except for that time Kitey laid the smackdown on Crocker !!)
[/quote]

What gets me, is that apparently these games count if you are an Australian, but not if you are a Kiwi. Don't know if this is true, but have heard it mentioned a few times, and if it is, it is highly stupid.

its an nrl  thing.. if you are a kiwi in an nrl club  who is suspended  it still counts but if he was in super league i dont think it does..

jjai link said:
its an nrl  thing.. if you are a kiwi in an nrl club  who is suspended  it still counts but if he was in super league i dont think it does..

When I last looked Matai plays for an NRL club so this can't be it.

As far as I understand it is that the NZ squad wasn't named prior to Matai's suspension. If the squad had been officially named with him in it & then he gets suspended, you'd then have a good case for serving the suspension during the Four Nations and any subsequent Tests.

The Boot link said:
As far as I understand it is that the NZ squad wasn't named prior to Matai's suspension. If the squad had been officially named with him in it & then he gets suspended, you'd then have a good case for serving the suspension during the Four Nations and any subsequent Tests.

Thanks, that makes sense. So because he was suspended, he wasn't named and therefore doesn't serve his suspension, seems odd. Since he was the incumbent he should be considered to have been picked if not unavailable.

i agree in Matais case, but we arent the NZ selectors, so cant really say he would have been categorically, much as we'd like it to be so :)

The rule is indefensible. If Matai's supension is not reduced for international matches he misses then he should have been available to get picked for NZ, and just serve his suspension in the NRL.

This way he is punished twice.

Fro link said:
i agree in Matais case, but we arent the NZ selectors, so cant really say he would have been categorically, much as we'd like it to be so :)

Dont have to be an NZ Selector to know Matai was in theyre plans

Kearns had him in the squad and the NRL went no no no no no!
Kearns was willing to help us which shows he doesnt belong at parra and im going to hate hoping he fails at his new job

Shane link said:
[quote author=Fro link=topic=185892.msg305585#msg305585 date=1289437811]

Dont have to be an NZ Selector to know Matai was in theyre plans

Kearns had him in the squad and the NRL went no no no no no!
Kearns was willing to help us which shows he doesnt belong at parra and im going to hate hoping he fails at his new job
[/quote]

Yeah agreed, he seems like too nice a bloke. But it is a step up from the Scum so perhaps in about 20 years he will be ready to join us in some capacity.

Members online

Latest posts

Team P W L PD Pts
6 5 1 59 12
6 5 1 20 12
6 4 2 53 10
6 4 2 30 10
7 4 2 25 9
7 4 3 40 8
7 4 3 24 8
7 4 3 -8 8
7 4 3 -18 8