Back row...then, now, next year

• We had an issue with background services between march 10th and 15th or there about. This meant the payment services were not linking to automatic upgrades. If you paid for premium membership and are still seeing ads please let me know and the email you used against PayPal and I cam manually verify and upgrade your account.

Freagle

Bencher
Was busy stalking Manly players on social media yesterday, when I noticed Justin Horo having some minor banter with Darcy...during which he said "cant wait to catch up soon" or similar. Which reminded me of the rumour that he might be back in 2018. I know, I know...personally I was sorry when he left cos he was having a good season in 2015, but we didn't always see that side of him, etc. and most on here would be recoiling in horror at the thought. Especially cos he's now what, early 30s I guess.

Got me thinking though - what we have now is two big backrowers who dominate their sides of the field physically, especially in defence. Sirro can certainly throw a pass, Frank not so much. Both can hit the line hard, Sirro regularly does it, Frank does it occasionally and is very good when he does...but neither of them break the line very much, or run support lines in stack - in other words, work off the ball.

When we had Tommy Symonds and Horo there, we had a totally different offering. Both were hole-runners, and worked hard off the ball. Neither were as imposing in defence, did not take "prop-style" hit ups like our guys sometimes do. They were faster though, both having come from the centres.

My point? Don't really have one. But I sometimes miss the sight of a back rower running lines and hitting a gap, rather than the grafting style that ours play nowadays. Wonder what others think, and do we want a recruit for the back row that hits holes, or do we want someone who works hard in that edge zone and tackles all day?

I understand what your saying. Siro and Frank are working really well at the moment. I wouldnt want to change that unless we needed.

Horo would be alright as a depth signing as we lack second row depth and would have been handy cover for Siro.

I agree with Fluffy though, Bainbridge has the makings of an NRL player, would like him in the squad.

Yeah, I think Billy was in the plans for this year. Would've been great to see him in Lane's role.

Horo played 3 seasons at Manly.1st season,had a 1 yr contract and had a very good season and was rewarded with a 2 yr extension.2nd season,first yr of 2 yr contract,was rubbish,then last yr of that contract,2015,was good.What it tells us is that he ,like so many,only played well when he needed a contract.Not the sort of player the club needs.Quite happy to see the Eels sign him though

Just get two guys like Siro and Frankenstein who can tackle, have size and a bit of speed that can hit a hole.

Was busy stalking Manly players on social media yesterday, when I noticed Justin Horo having some minor banter with Darcy...during which he said "cant wait to catch up soon" or similar. Which reminded me of the rumour that he might be back in 2018. I know, I know...personally I was sorry when he left cos he was having a good season in 2015, but we didn't always see that side of him, etc. and most on here would be recoiling in horror at the thought. Especially cos he's now what, early 30s I guess.

Got me thinking though - what we have now is two big backrowers who dominate their sides of the field physically, especially in defence. Sirro can certainly throw a pass, Frank not so much. Both can hit the line hard, Sirro regularly does it, Frank does it occasionally and is very good when he does...but neither of them break the line very much, or run support lines in stack - in other words, work off the ball.

When we had Tommy Symonds and Horo there, we had a totally different offering. Both were hole-runners, and worked hard off the ball. Neither were as imposing in defence, did not take "prop-style" hit ups like our guys sometimes do. They were faster though, both having come from the centres.

My point? Don't really have one. But I sometimes miss the sight of a back rower running lines and hitting a gap, rather than the grafting style that ours play nowadays. Wonder what others think, and do we want a recruit for the back row that hits holes, or do we want someone who works hard in that edge zone and tackles all day?

I've watched a handful of Catalans games this year.............if anyone at Manly is actually thinking of signing Horo up, we are in bigger trouble than i thought!

Seems to be a general consensus that there are really no name back rowers on the market at the present time but one area that Manly may need to bolster for next season . Still notable that the club has still not re signed either Bainbridge or Tanginoa and has confirmed that Kennedy will not be retained . Extending Winterstein"s contract would probably indicate what type of back rower and playing style that Barrett prefers for the future . Siro looks like he will be the main go to man , but personally still think that Lane could be a Daniel Gartner type player if he can apply himself even more effectively for future times . Bainbridge acquited himself really well and played a lot of minutes in that round three match against a strong Cowboys pack but injuries seem to have crueled his season since then . Maybe the club does has some actual interest in back row acquisitions for next year [ however surely not Horo ] but of course the immediate focus right now would just be on final"s footy.

Good back rowers are like hens teeth. The way the game is structured now days they either have all their creativity coached out of them and are made into front rowers with supplements and weights programs or they come as failed or not so laterallly gifted and a bit bigger centres. Hopefully the demise of under 20s sees some more skillful hard working rangy athletic types given a shot. Look through the recent under twenties second rowers in every team and they are generally the younger but talented kids making up the numbers.

It's a different game to ten years ago when Jackson and GIllet are seen as stand outs as opposed to the Ben kennedy, Craig Fitzgibbon, Steve Menzies, Bryan fletcher and Nathan Hindmarsh style. But with lock now becoming an extra prop instead of an extra second rower things are starting to change with the likes of Adam Elliot and Angus Chrichton.

Seems to be a general consensus that there are really no name back rowers on the market at the present time but one area that Manly may need to bolster for next season . Still notable that the club has still not re signed either Bainbridge or Tanginoa and has confirmed that Kennedy will not be retained . Extending Winterstein"s contract would probably indicate what type of back rower and playing style that Barrett prefers for the future . Siro looks like he will be the main go to man , but personally still think that Lane could be a Daniel Gartner type player if he can apply himself even more effectively for future times . Bainbridge acquited himself really well and played a lot of minutes in that round three match against a strong Cowboys pack but injuries seem to have crueled his season since then . Maybe the club does has some actual interest in back row acquisitions for next year [ however surely not Horo ] but of course the immediate focus right now would just be on final"s footy.
I was thinking to myself, WTF! Gartner was a speedy centre, WTF are you talking about? Giving away my age now eh!

Horo played 3 seasons at Manly.1st season,had a 1 yr contract and had a very good season and was rewarded with a 2 yr extension.2nd season,first yr of 2 yr contract,was rubbish,then last yr of that contract,2015,was good.What it tells us is that he ,like so many,only played well when he needed a contract.Not the sort of player the club needs.Quite happy to see the Eels sign him though
Even better if the Slime sign Horo for 3 years then ;)

Last edited:
I was thinking to myself, WTF! Gartner was a speedy centre, WTF are you talking about? Giving away my age now eh!
I am not sure what family connection that Russell and Daniel Gartner have but were both great players of course. I recall last year and when i wasn "t posting but just a regular viewer of Silvertails and one poster , [ and i am not sure if he is still posting] mentioned that he either used to play or train with Russell Gartner and said that he was able to make up some ground on Russell over a longer distance . I then naturally thought to myself , wow, you must have had some genuine speed because Russell was a real flyer and particularly with that great acceleration . I guess that previous Manly junior Luke Gartner has another family connection . Daniel Gartner's best or good asset was his smart stepping and speed from the back row [ but also played some prop latter in his time with Manly so he was tough as well ] . Lane is a bigger unit of course but also is very mobile , hopefully he will be able to consistently produce his best ability in Manly colours in future times .

Staff online

• lsz
    First Grader
  • Jethro
    Star Trekkin' across the universe
Team P W L PD Pts
7 6 1 99 14
7 6 1 54 14
7 5 2 36 12
8 5 2 39 11
8 5 3 64 10
7 4 3 49 10