Barretts threat

• We had an issue with background services between march 10th and 15th or there about. This meant the payment services were not linking to automatic upgrades. If you paid for premium membership and are still seeing ads please let me know and the email you used against PayPal and I cam manually verify and upgrade your account.
  • We have been getting regular requests for users who have been locked out of their accounts because they have changed email adresses over the lifetime of their accounts. Please make sure the email address under your account is your current and correct email address in order to avoid this in the future. You can set your email address at https://silvertails.net/account/account-details
  • Wwe are currently experience some server issues which I am working through and hoping to resolve soon, Please bare with me whilst I work through making some changes and possible intermittent outages.
  • Apologies all our server was runing rogue. I managed to get us back to a point from 2:45 today though there is an attachment issue i will fix shortly. Things should be smooth now though
That is a very good point, however as the (perennial) devil's advocate...it will have occurred to you that the place is hardly crawling with ex-players and people who are part of the so-called Manly culture, so who was he to go to?
Fulton was gone, job completed (lol), who else is there? Zorba? (triple lol).
I suppose Beaver is still loosely associated with the club but (champion though he be) he probably lacks the gravitas of a club senior statesman to offer advice during a tumultuous time.
Like with most of Barrett's failings, not an excuse necessarily but certainly an explanation.

Jason King

I may be off Beam here, but for all the players that are apparently so in love with Trent, they don't appear to have exactly busted their ars*s for him as a collective.

You seen the recent team song video’s? That shows a very different situation.

And you don’t think injuries , nor having any more than about 20 players to choose from during a season hasn’t impacted our performances.

Or the fact that we have had to put players like Parker , Suli, Winterstein, Perrett, Wright in most of the sides because that’s all he has !!

There’s no doubt our coach has made selection and bench mistakes, even I can see that, but I doubt “ he doesn’t have the dressing room” is one of the reasons for our poor year.

Last edited:
Im involved in the annual Gold Coast Manly fans and old boys day at Burleigh Bears on Friday. Usually a great day with some legends past in attendance. Plenty live on Gold Coast now.

I cannot believe the feedback and how far the overall impression of our club has fallen in the eyes of ex players and co in recent years. So sad really Thd joint is a mess. Ever since Tooves got rolled it seems...not saying he was the answer to our coaching problems but he can certainly be tied to the decline in the culture of our club and how past greats feel about it.

I’m sure the bar tab won’t decline as much. Looking forward to a great day

Some people should be careful what they wish for .... I think there will be more than a few players pissed off if Barrett isn't supported ..

I think Baz has been one of the few things holding this club together ..... it certainly hasn't been Penn, Gorman, Cartwright or Zorba ... or the mangey bearded one ...

Understand where you're coming from, Woodsie, and there's definitely a danger that players could follow him. But really, if he doesn't want to be at the club, let him walk. And If Gould rates him that highly, let's see what Trent can do with Penrith's roster and resources. Didn't work out that well for him when he coached the 20s there, if I recall.
He may well have a legitimate gripe about not getting the support and resources he wants. But we all know Manly is under-resourced compared to other clubs, and has been for a long time - even when we were winning premierships. He knew what he was doing when he came here: taking a valuable opportunity. He didn't bleat about the lack of support last year (at least not publicly), and bleating about it now hardly shows impeccable timing - or at least not timing that's in the best interests of the players and the club. Honestly, it seems like a transparent attempt to get out of his contract so he can go and coach the Panthers, and if that is indeed what happens, I won't be sorry to see him go. I'd prefer that he stuck it out, partly because I'm not sure there are that many better options available, partly because the players need some stability, partly because I believe a person should always honour his or her commitments. But I think he's worried about his future job prospects - as he should be. His record is awful.

No I haven't seen the team songs, I'm just making my observations on the field of play.
Yes injuries and all the rest but no mercy was shown his predecessor with all that and a worse roster.

I like Barrett too.
I gave him my full support until mid season this year.
Dragons game was the turning point.

The bloke cannot coach this squad.
Our defence is crap and they way Barrett handled the Hastings issue was a disgrace It cost us Lane who was a good mate of Hastings and was never going to stay after Barrett's humiliation of Hastings in the media

He is just another in the list of non Manly coaches who have failed here

Trent Barrett’s gamble

Trent Barrett has taken a massive gamble by putting a gun to Manly's head over the lack of resources at the club.

The mail that Baz has quit his post and is seeing out his notice is close to the mark - and he could be out the door in a little over three weeks' time.

But where does he go from there?

If Cameron Ciraldo takes Penrith deep into the finals, he will get the top job.

All other clubs - apart from possibly Brisbane - look to have settled their coaching positions for 2019.

And that leaves T Barrett out in the cold.

http://www.sportingnews.com/au/leag...-nrl-lurker/w6nljudoef2j16gw8dw38r720/slide/4

Our defence is crap and they way Barrett handled the Hastings issue was a disgrace It cost us Lane who was a good mate of Hastings and was never going to stay after Barrett's humiliation of Hastings in the media

He is just another in the list of non Manly coaches who have failed here
It was actually his handling of the Hastings issue that lost me forever. No matter what they've done, you never humiliate a person publicly. Never.

I have another tin foil hat moment to contribute.

Is it possible that Gus was playing the long con in recommending Trent to Manly?

Does Gus perhaps see something in Barrett that many of us can't see but wanted him to "lose his cherry" as a first grade NRL coach at a club other than Penrith?

Did Gus figure sending Barrett to us while he got his Panthers house in order under Hook would either end in triumph (a GF for Manly) or tragedy (our current situation) but either way, his protege would gain valuable experience as a first grade coach?

We know Barrett confides in Gus regularly & that Gus advises him. Has Trent been Gus' Manchurian candidate these past 3 years & now it's time for him to come home?

What better way to fly under the radar by sacking Hook & leaking a story about Penrith going after Ivan Cleary? While everyone was looking over there, Gus has all along been in Trent's ear about returning to Penrith with 3 years experience under his belt.

Strategy! For this to be true we will need to see barrett in the chocolate soldier's dressing room.

Barrett's threat has turned me off him. So to be clear.

A. He needs more resources in the club that went to 11 finals appearances. Sure some of the stuffing is poking out the bench press table and we could hit Tapau up for some gaffa tape, but really. Part of his role is to secure the resources while still working with what you have got.

B. If its a ploy to get out of his contract then he's also sold the club the dump by badmouthing it, perhaps putting other coaches and players off.

Understand where you're coming from, Woodsie, and there's definitely a danger that players could follow him. But really, if he doesn't want to be at the club, let him walk. And If Gould rates him that highly, let's see what Trent can do with Penrith's roster and resources. Didn't work out that well for him when he coached the 20s there, if I recall.
He may well have a legitimate gripe about not getting the support and resources he wants. But we all know Manly is under-resourced compared to other clubs, and has been for a long time - even when we were winning premierships. He knew what he was doing when he came here: taking a valuable opportunity. He didn't bleat about the lack of support last year (at least not publicly), and bleating about it now hardly shows impeccable timing - or at least not timing that's in the best interests of the players and the club. Honestly, it seems like a transparent attempt to get out of his contract so he can go and coach the Panthers, and if that is indeed what happens, I won't be sorry to see him go. I'd prefer that he stuck it out, partly because I'm not sure there are that many better options available, partly because the players need some stability, partly because I believe a person should always honour his or her commitments. But I think he's worried about his future job prospects - as he should be. His record is awful.

I don't believe he doesn't want to be here .... it is a case of he isn't prepared to stay here under the current set up.

You say he knew what he was doing coming here, that he knew we were under resourced ... he did .... that is why reports are saying he had it in his contract that certain important roles would be filled. .... They haven't been.

... and he did complain last year, but with no CEO and Bozo performing the tasks of Recruitment and Salary cap it wasn't as important .. Gorman told him earlier this year it would be sorted ... it hasn't been ...

You say people should honour their commitments .... Baz agrees ..... he wants Manly to honour theirs .....

We are coming into the player movement circus period ... and who at Manly is researching, talking to agents, viewing footage, talking to parents/players, doing the sums, crafting the deals etc ..... either no one .... or Baz between burpies at training ....

PSS ... if he does end at Penrith ... I will retract much of what I have opined ...

Im involved in the annual Gold Coast Manly fans and old boys day at Burleigh Bears on Friday. Usually a great day with some legends past in attendance. Plenty live on Gold Coast now.

I cannot believe the feedback and how far the overall impression of our club has fallen in the eyes of ex players and co in recent years. So sad really Thd joint is a mess. Ever since Tooves got rolled it seems...not saying he was the answer to our coaching problems but he can certainly be tied to the decline in the culture of our club and how past greats feel about it.

I’m sure the bar tab won’t decline as much. Looking forward to a great day

How do I get an invite?

I'd love to go but I'm off to Thailand tomorrow, for 6 weeks.

What sort of coach do you think will want to join a club were the current coach left because they did not provide the support staff contractually promised ..... and twice when demanded ... refused to get the professional staff promised ....

The no resources" crap is merely a tool for Barrett, there is is something in his contract about it apparently.

Tooves said "they would be lining up to coach Manly" last night, including him and Des.

Probably the interesting thing about the Elgey announcement today was that Cartwright was quoted.

I am pretty sure that most recent announcements in the Thompson and Hodkinson Barrett has been quoted.

Is this an indication about next year?

Probably the interesting thing about the Elgey announcement today was that Cartwright was quoted.

I am pretty sure that most recent announcements in the Thompson and Hodkinson Barrett has been quoted.

Is this an indication about next year?
If Barrett goes and Cartwrong is our coach next year then that 100% confirms that the owners have given up and are just running the joint into the ground.

If Barrett goes and Cartwrong is our coach next year then that 100% confirms that the owners have given up and are just running the joint into the ground.
I don’t think it indicates that Hoss will be the coach more who might not be

It's peculiar that we have extended assistant coaches and support staff contracts, when any potential new coach has their own support staff or at least want to be part of the process in appointing said staff.

Just another day of 'what the hell is our club doing' ?

Team P W L PD Pts
10 9 1 124 20
10 8 2 81 18
10 7 3 70 16
10 7 3 69 16
11 7 4 59 14
10 6 4 -10 14
11 6 5 107 12
11 6 5 -9 12
10 5 5 -56 12
11 5 5 30 11
10 4 6 15 10