Battle of Hastings 1066 Thread

• We had an issue with background services between march 10th and 15th or there about. This meant the payment services were not linking to automatic upgrades. If you paid for premium membership and are still seeing ads please let me know and the email you used against PayPal and I cam manually verify and upgrade your account.
  • We have been getting regular requests for users who have been locked out of their accounts because they have changed email adresses over the lifetime of their accounts. Please make sure the email address under your account is your current and correct email address in order to avoid this in the future. You can set your email address at https://silvertails.net/account/account-details

Should Hastings be given a go as a starting half in the NRL side?

• Total voters
I see Buzz wqrote in his tele column today that one NRL club is interested in signing Hastings. They just need Manly to pay a fair portion of his salary and he will be gone.

Looks like we could be left with no 5/8th options soon.

I bet that happens and then we’ll sign that Brown fella.

I see Buzz wqrote in his tele column today that one NRL club is interested in signing Hastings. They just need Manly to pay a fair portion of his salary and he will be gone.

So on salary cap penalty and an injury crisis, we want to keep paying Myles to sit on a beach and Lussick and Hastings to play elsewhere. Absolutely flabbergasted.

So on salary cap penalty and an injury crisis, we want to keep paying Myles to sit on a beach and Lussick and Hastings to play elsewhere. Absolutely flabbergasted.

Only if we don’t replace them with other players Mick!

If we don’t , then insanity prevails at Narrabeen!

From Danny the Worms column today

The issue is far bigger than a few players — and there are definitely some — who don’t like Hastings. The issue for Manly is that Hastings has basically been branded as someone who can’t play as part of a team. It’s something the Hastings family is fuming about.

It was not something pushed by Barrett publicly; he said it was his decision not the players’ decision. Players have supported Hastings publicly and privately.

The other area the Hastings family is not happy about — and they are considering legal options — is their view that there was workplace bullying. That relates to pranks. The club has form in that area.

One of Barrett’s assistants, Willie Peters, punched team conditioner Dan Ferris on a night out after persistent pranks.

https://www.smh.com.au/sport/nrl/cl...attle-players-may-follow-20180428-p4zc8y.html

sharks

From Danny Weidler this morning. Hastings and DCE were at the strip joint!! LOL

It just gets more bizzare and the cover ups over nothing more stupid.

But there is another issue. I was told the players disobeyed Barrett by going out in Gladstone. I put that to Barrett and he said he had no problem with it because the club’s security guard and Cherry-Evans, the club’s captain, were with the group.

I took him at his word and didn’t pursue the story. The players have since been fined. If what Barrett told me is true, they should have no issue, because he knew and endorsed them going out.

We now know that Cherry-Evans and Hastings sledged each other at the strip club over their respective relationships with players. Hastings left and, 10 minutes later, DCE did the same. Cherry-Evans then showed up at Hastings’ hotel room. What happened next is in dispute, but there was an altercation.

From Danny Weidler this morning. Hastings and DCE were at the strip joint!! LOL

It just gets more bizzare and the cover ups over nothing more stupid.

But there is another issue. I was told the players disobeyed Barrett by going out in Gladstone. I put that to Barrett and he said he had no problem with it because the club’s security guard and Cherry-Evans, the club’s captain, were with the group.

I took him at his word and didn’t pursue the story. The players have since been fined. If what Barrett told me is true, they should have no issue, because he knew and endorsed them going out.

We now know that Cherry-Evans and Hastings sledged each other at the strip club over their respective relationships with players. Hastings left and, 10 minutes later, DCE did the same. Cherry-Evans then showed up at Hastings’ hotel room. What happened next is in dispute, but there was an altercation.

There were no happy endings that night.

@Woodsie , mate with the injuries we have with Siro, Tanginoa, and now Croker all out for the year, plus Jorge, Brad Parker and Jetski out until around Round 12.....its no longer a matter of discontent among certain parties. If we are to remain even remotely competitive we need Hastings to be playing at 5/8, for better or worse.

Api isn't a 5/8 (or a halfback), neither are Dylan Walker or Matthew Wright. Lussick is a long shot and they don't want Tom Wright playing anywhere other than centre. Barrett and you may not like it but there is no other realistic choice any more.

If the club can offload Hastings before 30 June at minimal cost and think they can get someone better in the middle of the season, so be it. But right now we really don't have any choice but for Barrett to swallow his pride and put him in the halves with DCE.

I don't think many of us really give a rats arse if the players are all friends with each other off the field or not, so long as they leave that on the sidelines when they run out and play like a team.....play like the Manly-Warringah Sea Eagles we know and love.

@Woodsie , mate with the injuries we have with Siro, Tanginoa, and now Croker all out for the year, plus Jorge, Brad Parker and Jetski out until around Round 12.....its no longer a matter of discontent among certain parties. If we are to remain even remotely competitive we need Hastings to be playing at 5/8, for better or worse.

Api isn't a 5/8 (or a halfback), neither are Dylan Walker or Matthew Wright. Lussick is a long shot and they don't want Tom Wright playing anywhere other than centre. Barrett and you may not like it but there is no other realistic choice any more.

If the club can offload Hastings before 30 June at minimal cost and think they can get someone better in the middle of the season, so be it. But right now we really don't have any choice but for Barrett to swallow his pride and put him in the halves with DCE.

I don't think many of us really give a rats arse if the players are all friends with each other off the field or not, so long as they leave that on the sidelines when they run out and play like a team.....play like the Manly-Warringah Sea Eagles we know and love.

You certainly have the sensible approach .... but Trent has been dealing with what he believes, and past history confirms, is a "toxic" personality in Hastings .... it kept him in reggies all last year, and in the off-season this year when all he had to do was to pretend to be normal and he would have been 1st choice 5/8 his "toxic" personality again saw him banished ....

He was again recalled into the team this year and within a couple of weeks we see a normally well controlled and non-violent team captain like DCE having a fist fight with the fruit loop ... Whatever the problem ... it is not benign ...

However his "toxic" behaviour manifests itself ... and here Barrett has gone to pains to not tell.... it must be in such a way as to infuriate people.

Now, we lost a few game and are short on players, Hastings is suddenly hard done by, a victim and Barrett is only leaving him out due to "pride" ...

V8, I think we will see things unfold as you wish .... and as you say, normal people can leave their differences in the sheds .... I am not sure Hastings is normal, and what the result will be of him over-calling DCE ....

Me .... I would have Hasting on the next slow boat to the west coast of Canada .... but for the sake of Manly and all that is holy ... I hope I am wrong.

I do see your point, but I also think that we have no other realistic choice.....not if we are to salvage anything from this nightmare.

If Barrett goes for Api or Tom Wright in the halves and leaves Hastings in reserve grade.....we are doomed.

If the players are professional enough and Hastings does play 5/8 for us next week, any off-field stuff will be left behind when they cross the sideline for the game.

Stick to your guns Barrett .... this magnet for discontent shouldn't be allowed anywhere near FG.

Has already been the inspiration for more drama than he is worth ...
Sorry to disagree, but this is not the first time this has happened in football. Sometimes football players need to be a little less precious and get along with others whether they like them or not! I think these players will have bigger issues in life if they only want to work in teams where they like everyone.
For goodness sake they are paid a lot of money....more than most of us, to play footy! Maybe they should spend more time learning to catch the football, learning to pass the football and learn to tackle.....and less time worrying about the personality of their team mates.

Last edited:
I would never have signed Hastings in the first place and there is $350,000 wasted. The club has made some dumb moves... letting go of Green and then Coach Toovey, signing Cherry Evans as the $$$$ 10 million man is beyond me

I would be considering at the moment playing Trbojevic 5/8 and playing M Wright as fullback.

Last edited:
Sorry to disagree, but this is not the first time this has happened in football. Sometimes football players need to be a little less precious and get along with others whether they like them or not! I think these players will have bigger issues in life if they only want to work in teams where they like everyone.
For goodness sake they are paid a lot of money....more than most of us, to play footy! Maybe they should spend more time learning to catch the football, learning to pass the football and learn to tackle.....and less time worrying about the personality of their team mates.

And it is not the first time a player has been stamped NPA for being a disruptive influence .... probably just the first time a coach has spent more time trying to help him instead of just pissing him off like he should have.

The club let go of green because the warriors offered him an extra year in his contract, which manly wouldn't offer. If trbojevic was a 5/8 he would probably be a running 5/8 which wouldn't solve our problem. IMO, Tom wright to centre and Kelly to the wing

Tom Wright needs to work on his defense. He would be a turnstyle in our top side. Tom could certainly solve our problems for the short time, he has the skills and would complement Cherry Evans well

Right now we are literally plugging holes. We have 6 players currently on the sidelines, 3 of them for the duration of the season and the other 3 not due back for about a month.

Along with having Myles and Lussick still on the books despite them no longer being at the club.....we really can't afford to be banishing anyone to reserve grade for personality clashes.

A couple of more long term injuries and we're screwed more than a Kings Cross hooker on a good Friday night. We simply need our best available team on the park regardless of any off-field issues. And right now Hastings is our best available 5/8.

Latest posts

Team P W L PD Pts
8 7 1 56 16
7 6 1 99 14
8 6 2 66 14
8 5 3 51 12
9 5 3 37 11
9 5 4 95 10
9 5 4 42 10
8 4 4 25 10
9 5 4 -14 10
9 4 5 -16 8