Big big Apology

• We had an issue with background services between march 10th and 15th or there about. This meant the payment services were not linking to automatic upgrades. If you paid for premium membership and are still seeing ads please let me know and the email you used against PayPal and I cam manually verify and upgrade your account.
I thought we’d make the 8. We have enough forward strength, and DCE and Turbo are good enough to snag the odd game on their own at times.

What I didn’t expect to see, was that real Manly heart and commitment back in the team so quickly. The Barrett year’s had instilled a mediocrity that I felt may take a season or two to shed: boy oh boy was I wrong!!

Parker and Suli emerged as genuinely strong centers: Walker’s return actually upset the defensive structures to the point where I’d have preferred him being benched with a return to what worked... then Cust was injured and Dessie throws Walker into the 6.

Turning point, right there. Walker is less exposed defensively, gets better and early ball and suddenly blossoms, whilst our outside defenders turn into a brick wall that seems to be breached only via kicks..

The team seems to grow in confidence and self belief every game, and we play good positive football that is entertaining to watch and dangerous in a day where percentages and boredom rules the roost.

This is a team that can go all the way. I got that “feel” when we beat the Storm in Melbourne that we can, and will, match it with any team. There’s no team that these boys fear, and there’s no effort that is too much to give for these boys.

This is a real “Manly” team.

Siht, that’s a massive turnaround TC. I was under the impression that you rated us a lazy, unstructured, fragile steaming pile of turd. But thanks for owning up to your errors and getting on board the Manly train.
I never said that this year, i implied or said that last year though.

I was confident a bottom of the eight result was always attainable as long as Des got the best out of our front row to win yardage, offer punch and offloads which would provide space out wide for inexperienced centres to still shine, that didn't require too much structure or skillful ballplaying to score points from---well that was my hope for the first half of the season to stay in contention and grind away.(i was worried about injuries and depth in the centres may force Turbo to fill in occasionally or play more like a roaming center)

Des has impressed me greatly in how quickly he has been able to drill in good structures in defence and attack to be a top 4 contender.

To me the final piece of the puzzle for this year is having Walker at 5/8, Manly lacked attacking spark and class out wide to go up another level, just making up the numbers in the top 8 to be a team that can grind away a win is all i could see until Walker shifted to 5/8..

Relying on Tom to potentially be the X-Factor out wide in the big games is not really his bread and butter at the moment so Manly needed someone else to step up.

Walker offers that X-Factor and an under appreciated all round game that is coming out more with confidence in a less pressure environment behind a stable squad with good structure.
Did you read the subject of the post or are you trying to show you know the game

I though that we would make the 8 with Des back, because it was so clear that we were underperforming under Barrett.

I didn't think this would be a year that we could seriously challenge for the premiership though. I didn't think we would have the depth. I still don't think we will be able to trouble the top sides if we are hit by injuries, but as long as the current 17 are fit we are a massive chance.

Did you read the subject of the post or are you trying to show you know the game
1) Yes

2) Just reiterating my thoughts from what i posted before the season started to give weight and context to the fact Hasler/the team surpassed my expectations at the time.

3) Was framing my reply in a past to present to future response style. Posted my thoughts before the season commenced (past), reiterated for reference and clarity on my views, complimented Hasler for surpassing what i thought was possible (the present) and what i like about the future with Walkers injection at 5/8.

Hopefully the above is an acceptable answer but i doubt it.

Dead set if Hasler doesn’t win coach of the year it’s a ****ing travesty of justice!!

How he’s turned this team of stars/misfits/rejects/unwanted elsewhere players into potentially anything is beyond me.

Bugger me, we could even challenge for a GF spot!!!

I backed Manly to win the competition once Dessie came on board. I always knew he would get the right people on board that would get our team fit, and put in the right structures to make this team very competitive. The players have responded very well and we are now seeing a real Manly team again. Exciting times ahead.

I have to stand with you @hozza and @Mark from Brisbane

I thought bottom 4 and the basis of worse roster than last year, our best player Shaun Lane had gone to the Eels, and had finished 15th in 2018.

I never stated it here but I thought Hasler was a desperate decision by a desperate club.

Once it was known Donny and The Prince were on board I thought, OK, 8th wouldnt be a totally impossible if we stayed injury free and had a bit of luck. Highly unlikely but you never know..

I am not totally embarrassed though. You see it wasn't totally my fault.

I just didnt realise what a complete f*#ckup Barrett was. Seriously, how was i to know that this arse-clown could make Peter Sharp look like Jack Gibson.

I thought bottom 4 and the basis of worse roster than last year, our best player Shaun Lane had gone to the Eels, and had finished 15th in 2018.

I never stated it here but I thought Hasler was a desperate decision by a desperate club.

Once it was known Donny and The Prince were on board I thought, OK, 8th wouldnt be a totally impossible if we stayed injury free and had a bit of luck. Highly unlikely but you never know..

I just didnt realise what a complete f*#ckup Barrett was. Seriously, how was i to know that this arse-clown could make Peter Sharp look like Jack Gibson.
All you blokes were mesmerized by Baz's pretty face :D

We womenfolk were backing 2v to stay with his cauliflower ears and broken voice box :nod:

Des's hair dye can not hide the rugged footy head undeneath his golden locks :giggle:

I thought we might scrape the 8 at seasons start..... just in or just out etc...mildly optimistic BUT after Round 1 loss to the Tigers and an 0 and 2 start I quickly threw the baby out with the bathwater and was thinking we were closer to winning the spoon than the premiership.

Lost faith a little quick.

Lesson learned by me. Long may it continue.

I had us going ok and 5th I think at best , so am pretty happy with their performance thus far . How else could I not pick them to go well when I say every Fukhing week , WE'LL WIN THIS.

I forgot about lane, and the angst when he left.

He was very slow in the brookie game vs eels a few weeks back.

I don’t think he would cope with des’s high energy game.

I cant exactly remember where I predicted we'd end up but I'm sure it was somewhere between 6th & 10th (I think).

As soon as I heard Des was coming back something just felt so right about it.

When he said he was also bringing Donny Singe back I knew that even if we didn't have scoring strike power this season, we'd definitely have a much fitter team & therefore much better defence & leak less points than last season.

Must also admit after the shaky start to the season I started reassessing my view but once I saw Tom back against the Warriors & how he was combining with DCE in that game my spirits lifted again.

It's been so good to have a competitive team again & as per Dessie's way, we've once again done it under the radar.

It is so funny to see how many people (both Manly supporters and non-Manly supporters!) who tipped us to fail. But how awesome that they exceeded all our expectations.

I am a HUGE optimist, so I always had belief we could make finals. But to be on the cusp of a top 4 finish! Now that is truly incredible.

I have said this before and I will say it again - in 2008 with Des as coach we lost round 1 and 2, played the Warriors in round 3 and won, and then played Souths in round 4 and won....

And we all know how good that year turned out ;)

Staff online

Latest posts

Team P W L PD Pts
7 6 1 99 14
7 6 1 54 14
7 5 2 36 12
8 5 2 39 11
8 5 3 64 10
7 4 3 49 10
8 4 4 73 8
7 3 4 17 8
8 4 4 -14 8