Book recommendations....

• We had an issue with background services between march 10th and 15th or there about. This meant the payment services were not linking to automatic upgrades. If you paid for premium membership and are still seeing ads please let me know and the email you used against PayPal and I cam manually verify and upgrade your account.
Re-reading Raymond E. Feist's Magician atm (1st read it & it's series in the late 80's, then again several years later or something I think).

Enjoying revisiting it now, the Revised edition with more content re-added which was originally culled etc.
Quite like the extra details, and some parts I think Feist shouldv'e expanded/detailed even more, though it is a lengthy novel as is.

Almost finished, have burnt through it pretty fast, will get straight into Silverthorn after, then A Darkness at Sethanon to finish the Saga.

Re: Fantasy Fiction:

Have read a heap of Dragonlance stuff ages ago (range of authors & settings).. Really enjoyed:
- R.A. Salvatore's Dark Elf & Icewind Dale triolgies + other stuff,
- Eddings' Belgariad & Malloreon series + other stuff,
- Terry Brooks earlier stuff (Original Shannara trilogy, Heritage and a few others)

Will have to check out some Brent Weeks stuff after hearing good things about him.

Don't laugh but I just read 1984.
I only got to year 10 so didn't read it at school.
I found the 1st 80 or so pages an, endurable, assault on my brain but it seems to set the mood.
I couldn't stop thinking about this book.

Re-reading Raymond E. Feist's Magician atm (1st read it & it's series in the late 80's, then again several years later or something I think).

Enjoying revisiting it now, the Revised edition with more content re-added which was originally culled etc.
Quite like the extra details, and some parts I think Feist shouldv'e expanded/detailed even more, though it is a lengthy novel as is.

Almost finished, have burnt through it pretty fast, will get straight into Silverthorn after, then A Darkness at Sethanon to finish the Saga.

Re: Fantasy Fiction:

Have read a heap of Dragonlance stuff ages ago (range of authors & settings).. Really enjoyed:
- R.A. Salvatore's Dark Elf & Icewind Dale triolgies + other stuff,
- Eddings' Belgariad & Malloreon series + other stuff,
- Terry Brooks earlier stuff (Original Shannara trilogy, Heritage and a few others)

Will have to check out some Brent Weeks stuff after hearing good things about him.
Lord Dunsanys short stories are good if you haven't read him.

For those whom were entertained by the late Robert G Barrett, Les Norton series, I recommend Guns and Goannas by JS Browne and Bradley Franklin.
A couple of northern beaches boys I believe who have taken up the mantel of the big nightclub bouncer.
Except this blokes name is Jim Dempsey not Les Norton, he lives in Manly not bondi and he's from wagga not Queensland.
The rest of it is pretty much the same misadventures and funny stuff as always.
These authors were fans of the original and have run with it almost seamlessly.

For those whom were entertained by the late Robert G Barrett, Les Norton series, I recommend Guns and Goannas by JS Browne and Bradley Franklin.
A couple of northern beaches boys I believe who have taken up the mantel of the big nightclub bouncer.
Except this blokes name is Jim Dempsey not Les Norton, he lives in Manly not bondi and he's from wagga not Queensland.
The rest of it is pretty much the same misadventures and funny stuff as always.
These authors were fans of the original and have run with it almost seamlessly.
Thanks for that info. I've read all of Barrett's books. ( my favorite was Davos little something). I even got to meet the man going on 20years ago at a literary festival. God he loved a drink!
Someone should've put it on the big screen. Dylan Naper would make a great Les Norton.

Thanks for that info. I've read all of Barrett's books. ( my favorite was Davos little something). I even got to meet the man going on 20years ago at a literary festival. God he loved a drink!
Someone should've put it on the big screen. Dylan Naper would make a great Les Norton.
Hahaha.
Absolutely. The big red headed queenslander.
You know they had a movie or mini series planned and he was thinking of Ian Roberts to play him and Matt Johns as Billy Dunn. But he wouldn't sign over creative rights or something like that so it never got off the ground.

Robert G Barrett is dead???

thats a serious question, I had no idea. they were great books

I found In Praise of Idleness by Bertrand Russell interesting, with introduction, notes etc. by Bradley Trevor Greive. BTG is a Tasmanian author and very funny. He's sold 25 million books across 115 countries (according to him) which may be true.The book's only 178 pages long so you could knock it back in a couple of hours...oh, and Russell won the Nobel Prize for Literature so he can write a bit...
9781863957908.jpg

Last edited:
I am in the middle of reading The Silent Corner by Dean Koontz must admit finding it hard to put the book down... the blurb at the back does not do the book justice.

Don't know how they age but any Craig Thomas book with Hyde in it..

Ludlum The Aquitaine Progression.

Philip Jose Farmer for sci-fi Loved the Riverworld and Tier World series.

Tome Sharpe for being one of the only two authors that made me laugh out loud. Especially his book about the South African police during the apartheid era..

Reading Mark Lawrence's The Red Queen's War trilogy at the moment. On the front of book one the blurb proclaims it to be "Excellent-on a par with George R.R. Martin" which turned me off a bit as I read Game of Thrones about 15 years ago (the first couple of books anyway) and decided it was crap, this is far better....lol at Loki paraphrasing Jagger/ Richards "You don't always get what you want, but sometimes you get what you need"

Last edited:
I Read The News Today, Oh Boy by Paul Howard is an interesting look into how the other (money grows on trees) half live. Tara Browne was heir to the Guinness fortune, the bloke who introduced Paul McCartney to LSD,John Lennon wrote a song about him, he was good mates with Brian Jones, Brendan Behan, Salvador Dali and various other luminaries, what could possibly go wrong..................

Last edited:

Latest posts

Team P W L PD Pts
6 5 1 59 12
6 5 1 20 12
6 4 2 53 10
6 4 2 30 10
7 4 2 25 9
7 4 3 40 8
7 4 3 24 8
7 4 3 -8 8
7 4 3 -18 8