Book recommendations....

• We had an issue with background services between march 10th and 15th or there about. This meant the payment services were not linking to automatic upgrades. If you paid for premium membership and are still seeing ads please let me know and the email you used against PayPal and I cam manually verify and upgrade your account.
1613667265491.png

Great read , quiet old Greek isles life and customs meets WW2.
Superb story telling . .
Read this whist I was living on this island.

View attachment 16988
Great read , quiet old Greek isles life and customs meets WW2.
Superb story telling . .
Read this whist I was living on this island.

Reminds me of the Brokyln 99 episode when Jake is in lockdown with Kevin. lol

Also for the spy genre and Matthew Reilly ( but believable) fans .
The Mitch Rapp series by Vince Flynn is a great terrorist/ spy series.

Reilly not believable???? lol

(thanks for the suggestions)

Just finished reading The Beast With Five Fingers a collection of stories by W.F. Harvey (1885-1937) I particularly enjoyed the title story, The Man Who Hated Aspidistras and The Clock but all the stories were interesting. They made a movie based on Five Fingers...

I think I have about 40 books sitting on my must read shelf (and I read every day)...

- and not just books with pics....

and so you guys aren't helping! lol

(keep it up)

I think I have about 40 books sitting on my must read shelf (and I read every day)...

- and not just books with pics....

and so you guys aren't helping! lol

(keep it up)
One can never get ahead of a reading wish list. It doesn't matter how hard you try. I will have to post a photo of my own graphic novel/comic book collection. I'm rather proud of it-though it would have been so much more impressive if I wasn't coerced into selling a large portion when I moved from Sydney.

Graphic novel recommendations.

I love a lot of the stuff that Vertigo have released such as;
100 Bullets
Scalped
Preacher
DMZ
Army Love
Loveless
American Vampire

Image have released some great series as well;
Morning Glories
Thief of Thieves
Kill or Be Killed
Stray Bullets
Southern Bastards
Chew
Velvet

Avatar is good for twisted sickness;
Uber
Crossed
Fashion Beast
Stitched
Neonomicon
Black Gas

Criminal which was released by Icon is awesome.

Dark Horse used to be pretty cool but have gone off the boil of late.

Robert Kirkman's Outcast is cool, and the colour release of the Walking Dead is bloody amazing.

The Stand omnibus released through Marvel is fantastic also.

Anything by Garth Ennis.

Just finished reading Bernard Cornwells book Sharpes Fury about the Battle of Barrosa ,1811. For some reason it reminded me of The Battle of Brookvale, 2011, only with more blood....here's a short excerpt.....
The French had broken Browne’s attack. They had shattered the red ranks, they had ripped the Gibraltar Flankers apart, but the French were not advancing down the slope to where Browne’s survivors would have made easy meat for their bayonets. They fired instead, tearing more bullets into the broken battalion while the redcoats, the men from Lancashire and the Holy Boys from Norfolk and the Silver Tails from Gloucestershire, shot back. Major Browne watched them die. A boy from the Silver Tails reeled back with his left shoulder torn away by the razor-edged remnants of the canister’s casing so that his arm hung by sinews and broken ribs poked white through the red mess of his shattered chest. He collapsed and began to gasp for his mother. Browne knelt and held the boy’s hand. He wanted to stanch the wound, but it was too big, so the major, not knowing how else to comfort the dying soldier, sang to him.....
He probably sang Eagle Rock. I like all of Cornwells books but the Sharpe series is particularly good.

Last edited:
I've recently revisited Love in the Time of Cholera by Gabriel Garcia Marquez and The Plague by Camus.....depressing but worth the effort.

I have been going through a real dark fiction stage of late - mainly focused on snuff clubs - which has seen me start and stop several books for various reasons. I blame Stieg Larson. Some people need to realise that a cozy mystery doesn't qualify a book in the "dark fiction" genre.

Anyways, two books have really stood out. "Sons of Brutality" by Daniel Jeudy, was recommended to me by a friend who provided a song for the local author's book trailer, and "Whipping Boy," by Gabrielle Lord. I finished "Sons of Brutality," yesterday after my initial, "sure, I'll give it a go" reservation. It was a ripper of a read, i literally could not put it dowñ. "Whipping Boy," was also amazing. I can't believe I had never heard of this author.

If any Silvertails can recommend a similar book it would be greatly appreciated.

I'm reading Stephen Kings The Stand ( the expanded version) at the moment. A mutated super-flu leaks out of a military biological weapons laboratory and wipes out 99% of the worlds population. The govt. plays down the outbreak and spreads misinformation via the media.
Written in 1978, Kings version of a hideous future.

I'm reading Stephen Kings The Stand ( the expanded version) at the moment. A mutated super-flu leaks out of a military biological weapons laboratory and wipes out 99% of the worlds population. The govt. plays down the outbreak and spreads misinformation via the media.
Awesome read.

They did an decent job of the mini-series adaptation too

I thought I would dabble in some sci-fi recently and took up the "We are legion, We are bob" series by Dennis E Taylor

Really good fun and interesting read. Not usually a Sci-Fi fan but this took a somewhat light-hearted approach and I found that a good way to approach it. In the end found it hard to put down if for no other reason than the varying concepts involved

Latest posts

Team P W L PD Pts
3 3 0 48 6
3 2 1 45 4
3 2 1 28 4
3 2 1 22 4
3 2 1 15 4
3 2 1 14 4
2 1 1 13 4
3 2 1 10 4
2 1 1 6 4
3 2 1 -3 4