Brett Stewart - Any Court Case News ?

• We had an issue with background services between march 10th and 15th or there about. This meant the payment services were not linking to automatic upgrades. If you paid for premium membership and are still seeing ads please let me know and the email you used against PayPal and I cam manually verify and upgrade your account.
This is really dragging on. September is a fair while, I wonder how much of the case hinged on those records for the defense.

It still sounds more like Bretts team are doing the right things and pushing the right buttons.

Hopefully we will see an end to this before the year is through

I have a mate who is a legal eagle and he happens to be really good mates with Geoff Bellew.

No I don't have any inside knowledge but what I can say is that the Magistrate will review all the documents (now September) and IF he says it goes to trial then off to trial it goes BUT Geoff Belllew is a VERY busy man, so my inside information suggests that he'd have at least a further 6 months delay after that order to go to court...so (sadly) this  could drag on into the 2010 season!!

Stewart's lawyers want access to psychiatrist's report
Posted 9 minutes ago

Lawyers for Manly rugby league player Brett Stewart, who is facing sexual assault charges, have asked to get access to privileged documents in the case.

The star fullback has pleaded not guilty to sexual intercourse without consent and the indecent assault of a 17-year-old girl.

The 24-year-old was excused from appearing in court today, but his lawyers have asked for a decision to be made on which documents in the case are privileged, including psychiatrist's comments on the victim.

Stewart's lawyers will then seek access to the documents that are not privileged.

Stewart's bail has been continued today and the case will return to court in September.
http://www.abc.net.au/news/stories/2009/06/23/2606220.htm?section=justin

The Australian legal system at work.  And we have just appointed another one to our board. 

I wonder if the board meetings will now be adjourned for 6 months pending legal discussion on the topics to be discussed? 

kingyfan link said:
The Australian legal system at work.  And we have just appointed another one to our board. 

I wonder if the board meetings will now be adjourned for 6 months pending legal discussion on the topics to be discussed? 

You will need to make application to adjourn.

the length of time is nothing unusual. I know a bloke that is currntly on remand and has been charged with murder. Hes been on remand for over 18 months and his case still hasnt gone to trial yet.

Biscuits link said:
the length of time is nothing unusual. I know a bloke that is currntly on remand and has been charged with murder. Hes been on remand for over 18 months and his case still hasnt gone to trial yet.
Brett may be retired by the time this is heard then

Does anyone know how it works? Does the judge not receive any evidence until all evidence has been provided? Have the police provided the requested evidence from before? No mention....
Is it possibly a stalling tactic by the alleged victim's lawyer so more time be afforded the police so they can gather more info, or defence wanting more time?

I'm so surprised the lack of media coverage considering their initial reaction, but at the same time very grateful in a way that Brett is not plastered all over the front page again (& a very UN nice way)..

BErKeLEy_eAgLe link said:
[quote author=Biscuits link=topic=180856.msg229267#msg229267 date=1245741579]
Brett may be retired by the time this is heard then
[/quote]
Scary thought - goodness I hope not..

Another quick question (probably watch too much Law & Order - U.S), but in Australia do we have the right to a speedy trial?

mwsneagle link said:
Last question - But where is Niccipops???

Yes. She has been very quiet of late and hasn't been seen (posting) here since June 16, 2009, 03:02:09 PM according to her profile.

Nothing to worry about.  I'm sure the prosecution have plenty they'd like to suppress, but it's too late now.

mwsneagle hit the nail on the head.  A stark contrast.  One short report by the ABC stating an adjournment until September ... although curiously not even mentioning a specific date.  And nothing from the rest of the media throng.

We might infer commercial journalists/editors have extraordinarily short ADD attention spans, or if a story doesn't fit their muckraking mindsets it quickly disappears off the radar. Maybe two lines on page 9 in the commercial press for acquittal or dismissal on this form.

Interesting example of the contrast between the Murdoch press (& its clones) and the ABC for fact-based news coverage.

i'm so sick of tabloid journalism. the main networks used to be not so bad, but now, its all tabloids - even the main news.

abc and sbs are great imo

There was nothing mentioned on Sports Tonight last night either.

probably a good thing though... they spin even the good news. Let em forget about it.. so Brett can have a fair trial.

Latest posts

Team P W L PD Pts
5 4 1 23 10
5 4 1 14 10
6 4 2 48 8
6 4 2 28 8
5 3 2 25 8
5 3 2 14 8
6 3 2 38 7
6 3 2 21 7
6 3 3 37 6
6 3 3 16 6