Brett Stewart availability for Sat

• We had an issue with background services between march 10th and 15th or there about. This meant the payment services were not linking to automatic upgrades. If you paid for premium membership and are still seeing ads please let me know and the email you used against PayPal and I cam manually verify and upgrade your account.
Hiku will be fine, the kid can play!!

bob dylan said:
Word on the streets of LA is he's out.

Go Manly!

Enjoy the flight Bob......not......geez I hate long haul air travel!!

And that from a retired travel agent who has done a gazillion air miles!!

COMMANDER said:
I think Bones is planting misinformation to lead News journalists and Roosters spies astray.

Well done.

They know we know. And we know they know we know. And they know we know they know, we know.

Just a point about Manly's history. I remember 1978 when Manly went through probably the hardest road to a grand final win with two drawn games. They were very reliant on the 'jack in the box' magic of Johnny Gibbs to win them games and injury took him out of the finals that year. Another less magical but very talented half they had called Steve Martin took on the role and Manly still won the premiership. Manly foolishly let that kid go, hoping Gibbs would recover. He never did and while Manly struggled to find a half replacement, Martin went on the star for Balmain. Hopefully lessons learnt.

The same rumours were doing the rounds about Snake not playing against Melbourne 2 weeks ago and they were off the mark. I expect him to play. Last year Toovey didn't play mind games with selections , but this year is different.

If he doesn't play it is a blow, but some need to have a bit of faith in the class of Lyon, Foran, Cherry-Evans, Glenn Stewart, Watmough, Matai etc etc, the list goes on

Ceagle said:
he is out guys, there are no mind games being played here

Thanx Tooves

Bearfax said:
COMMANDER said:
I think Bones is planting misinformation to lead News journalists and Roosters spies astray.

Well done.

They know we know. And we know they know we know. And they know we know they know, we know.

Just a point about Manly's history. I remember 1978 when Manly went through probably the hardest road to a grand final win with two drawn games. They were very reliant on the 'jack in the box' magic of Johnny Gibbs to win them games and injury took him out of the finals that year. Another less magical but very talented half they had called Steve Martin took on the role and Manly still won the premiership. Manly foolishly let that kid go, hoping Gibbs would recover. He never did and while Manly struggled to find a half replacement, Martin went on the star for Balmain. Hopefully lessons learnt.
Correction . Martin remained at Manly for a further 2 years and was released to the Tigers in 1982 because a sensational kid called Phil Blake was coming through the ranks .

BOZO said:
Bearfax said:
COMMANDER said:

Well done.

Correction . Martin remained at Manly for a further 2 years and was released to the Tigers in 1982 because a sensational kid called Phil Blake was coming through the ranks .

My apologies there Kiwi Eagle. I think I got my years mixed up. I actually lived through the period but obviously my recollection was poor. I do seem to recall that it was Manly hoping to hold onto Gibbs that led Martin to leaving and they both finished at Manly in 1981 because Gibbs was later accepting that his playing days were over and didnt come back in 1982. Blake was an unknown at that time until, as you rightly noted he burst onto the scene in 1982 after a brilliant junior career. I think Manly also tended to use Martin as 5/8 while Gibbs was in the team and that's also why he left so he could play half. But he later succumbed to injury also.

I think in that finals campaign Alan Thompson was our 5/8, and all Manly 3 halves were picked for the Kangaroos that year?

Bearfax said:
BOZO said:
Bearfax said:
COMMANDER said:

Well done.

My apologies there Kiwi Eagle. I think I got my years mixed up. I actually lived through the period but obviously my recollection was poor. I do seem to recall that it was Manly hoping to hold onto Gibbs that led Martin to leaving and they both finished at Manly in 1981 because Gibbs was later accepting that his playing days were over and didnt come back in 1982. Blake was an unknown at that time until, as you rightly noted he burst onto the scene in 1982 after a brilliant junior career. I think Manly also tended to use Martin as 5/8 while Gibbs was in the team and that's also why he left so he could play half. But he later succumbed to injury also.
Correction The 5/8 position was also secured by one of our best players to play for our club in Alan Thompson.
Martin played for the tigers from 1982 until 1984. In 1985 he was released by the Tigers to play for Leeds in England due to a shoulder injury that prevented him from playing at his best .

unfortunately , we all know brett is out tonight , but has there been word how serious the injury is and when will he be able to play next ??

BOZO said:
Bearfax said:
BOZO said:
Bearfax said:
COMMANDER said:

Well done.

Correction The 5/8 position was also secured by one of our best players to play for our club in Alan Thompson.
Martin played for the tigers from 1982 until 1984. In 1985 he was released by the Tigers to play for Leeds in England due to a shoulder injury that prevented him from playing at his best .

Well you're almost right. I recall very well Martin playing five eighth on a number of occasions and half when Gibbs was off injured which was much of the time. Thompson became a very fine distributing five eighth, and the three tended to swing about in the backline depending on Gibbs injury. Thompson in those early stages was good but on occasions, like Lyons in his early years was under criticism. But he developed a distribution ability second only to Lyons and held 5/8 more or less continuously from 1982.

Latest posts

Team P W L PD Pts
5 4 1 23 10
5 4 1 14 10
6 4 2 48 8
6 4 2 28 8
5 3 2 25 8
5 3 2 14 8
6 3 2 38 7
6 3 2 21 7
6 3 3 37 6
6 3 3 16 6