Brett Stewart to Dragons, a done deal!

• We had an issue with background services between march 10th and 15th or there about. This meant the payment services were not linking to automatic upgrades. If you paid for premium membership and are still seeing ads please let me know and the email you used against PayPal and I cam manually verify and upgrade your account.
Status
Not open for further replies.
No doubt a sad day indeed, all tears aside I do truly wish him all the best and hopefully his last game for Manly will be the GF because he will never get another shot of holding up that trophy @ the dragqueens.

All this talk of signing Gordon. You do realise the reason Stewart may be going is because we don't have enough $$$ under the cap to re-sign everyone? Why would you then attempt to sign another classy fullback?

4 years ago I would've been devastated at this news. It's still pretty ****, but with two gun halves, we were always going to lose someone we didn't want to. DCE and Foran better re-sign now though.

Joey said:
No doubt a sad day indeed, all tears aside I do truly wish him all the best and hopefully his last game for Manly will be the GF because he will never get another shot of holding up that trophy @ the dragqueens.

I get the feeling this is about the $$$, I dont blame him he has lost a bucket load (potential earnings or otherwise) due to the court case and media coverage. I reckon most players would be stoked to have played in 3 GFs and 2 winning sides (3 by years end). So if true I wish the prince of brookvale all the best. The era of the 1 club player is dying fast

Volley said:
All this talk of signing Gordon. You do realise the reason Stewart may be going is because we don't have enough $$$ under the cap to re-sign everyone? Why would you then attempt to sign another classy fullback?
^ This

If true i wish him all the best. If we don't keep DCE and Foran after losing him though i will be shattered.

I think there is a bigger issue at stake here, what now for Glenn? It may free up cap space for DCE and Foran but they are little blokes and are able to do what they do best because of the body guards in the likes of Glenn to protect them, I know he is contracted here for a while yet, but if he wants to link up with his bro and does request such a move, Manly would have no choice but to allow it or it'll make us look like heartless pricks, not to mention the ole cliche in no point making a player stay if he wants to leave.

No offence to others but I'll wait for something official before I say my good byes...hoping for a stay of execution in the 11th hour.

Joey said:
g'day all,certainly sad to see him go but if the money and contract length are true then no way can we be dirty on him for it.If the reports of the ability of young gutherson are true he will be pushing for first grade sooner rather than later so maybe thats our silver lining.If it means glen goes to so be it as both have given us great service but we cant keep everyone unfortunate as it is and particularly backrow we seem to have plenty of talent pushing for spots.Just really irksome that this sort of thing is happening 2 rounds into this years comp and really takes away our enjoyment from what we should be able to enjoy ie this year.Anyway whatever happens iwish brett(and glen?) all the best and thanks for the memories.
cheers mike

torana355 said:
If true i wish him all the best. If we don't keep DCE and Foran after losing him though i will be shattered.

x 2. Will be very sad if he goes.

I guess this will shut up the whinging Illawarra supporters about Newcastle poaching Scott.
I hope we don't complain about Brett leaving. He deserves the money. But the system is wrong. Signing mid-season upsets everybody.

Joey said:
I think there is a bigger issue at stake here, what now for Glenn? It may free up cap space for DCE and Foran but they are little blokes and are able to do what they do best because of the body guards in the likes of Glenn to protect them, I know he is contracted here for a while yet, but if he wants to link up with his bro and does request such a move, Manly would have no choice but to allow it or it'll make us look like heartless pricks, not to mention the ole cliche in no point making a player stay if he wants to leave.

Maybe he (Glenn) doesn't want to leave. Maybe he has set up a life in Manly, maybe Brett being closer to the rest of his family will be good, maybe Miranda Kerr will leave that poncing pretty boy and marry me. Who knows

dont understand why he would sign with another team so early in the season when 2v came out and said he was a priority signing. Unless we offered him next to nothing and his declined our deal already.

Clay said:
dont understand why he would sign with another team so early in the season when 2v came out and said he was a priority signing. Unless we offered him next to nothing and his declined our deal already.

Being a priority signing and having the $$$$ to match other offers are two different issues. If Saints is true they have lost some big $ players giving them room to move

I find it hard to imagine that Glenn would want to go to the Dragons. I'm fairly certain that them telling him he can't play has been a fairly big motivator of his career to date. That being said, playing with his brother, closer to his family and possibly more coin might be enough for him to put those feelings aside.

i think too much is made of this supposed need for the brothers to remain together. It was obviously imprtant when they came to manly. They were 16 and 17 and leaving home. Glenn is now married (possibly to a northern beaches girl) and probably settled in well where he is and Brett is a man in his own right. Its not like they suddenly have to hate each other just because they are in different teams. And they would only be seperated by a 2 hour car trip. Its not like he is going to townsville. Saints would be doing remarkably well to get both of them under the cap.

We survived the bears marriage we will survive this. Love ya Bretty. Love Manly more though.

With the desperate dragons fans crying over losing players. You would think there administration would be clambering to break some good news. So who knows. Same goes for our admin I guess.

Biscuits said:
Saints would be doing remarkably well to get both of them under the cap.
I have never understood this comment. Is it so hard to believe that another team in the league could fit Glenn and Brett in the same team? I would imagine manly has a bigger fight with salary cap issues than any other team in the comp.
Most players are established stars, with premiership rings and representative honours.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Team P W L PD Pts
5 4 1 23 10
5 4 1 14 10
6 4 2 48 8
6 4 2 28 8
5 3 2 25 8
5 3 2 14 8
6 3 2 38 7
6 3 2 21 7
6 3 3 37 6