Brett Stewart

• We had an issue with background services between march 10th and 15th or there about. This meant the payment services were not linking to automatic upgrades. If you paid for premium membership and are still seeing ads please let me know and the email you used against PayPal and I cam manually verify and upgrade your account.
EagleFromMay1967 said:
CAMBO said:
Reports by AAP are saying Brett will play Monday :)

Link please ?

What a chequered footy careeer, (and life) Brett Stewart has had eh?. Full of dramatic swings.

Some say 'those who burn that brightly, burn out quickly'.
Brett has been responsible for some of the most spectacular, stylish and unlikely tries ever scored for the Manly RL club. And a large number of them . . . 128 and counting.

Many of them have relied on a fair dash of pace, a few upon 'extreme pace' but the majority have relied upon, anticipation, a great pass, support play or a piece of deception displaying a natural instinct for attack. Even if not running at full 2008 speed, the other qualities will stay with him for his whole time in the NRL. And he will be a one club man. He will rise to top form in the latter part of the year and MWSE will be a decent title chance because of it.

Even if he shocked the world and announced his retirement tomorrow, i would still feel lucky & privileged to have seen his whole NRL career, and nearly every appearance, (either live or on TV).
I honestly cannot remember a Manly decade like it since '66-76 Bob Fulton.

http://bit.ly/17e2UEq

Moops said:
bennyeagle said:
Defend him all you want, he's still injured as much as he plays these days, i dont doubt his ability or what he brings to our team, i just believe he's getting older and there may come a time in the near future where brett will need to consider whats best for his body !

I love Brett as much as all of you, i just dont see him getting over these injuries anytime soon. Would gladly be proven wrong by the man himself.......which i genuinely would love to see !

Yep, it is only Manly fans that think signing him for four years for so much money was a wise move. I have yet to speak to a supporter of a rival club that would have taken him, at this price and for so long. For all the posters and their vitriol against anybody that dares raise this point, it is not them dipping into their pockets, is it? I hope Brett Stewart proves me wrong. I love the Snake, but I am not as sure as some of you that he will back playing enough to justify his pay cheque. Let history be the judge...
Moops , i think your spot on.... and its not the first time ive said so on here, but it wont make you any friends......im a manly fan, have been forever, but i cannot see snake giving us value for money over this contract.

I agree with some of the above in that there is a lot of salary cap sitting on the sidelines more and more but as kiwi said recent history shows that the risk may be worth the reward as every year he plays most of it we are very close to if not winning the premiership.

There is no compromise here, we either take the risk or cut him away completely. If we cut him away we need to try and find another good fullback to fill his boots which is a risk in itself as it has no guarantees.

Personally I would have only offered 2 or 3 years on the contract.

Kiwi Eagle said:
Moops said:
bennyeagle said:
Defend him all you want, he's still injured as much as he plays these days, i dont doubt his ability or what he brings to our team, i just believe he's getting older and there may come a time in the near future where brett will need to consider whats best for his body !

I love Brett as much as all of you, i just dont see him getting over these injuries anytime soon. Would gladly be proven wrong by the man himself.......which i genuinely would love to see !

Yep, it is only Manly fans that think signing him for four years for so much money was a wise move. I have yet to speak to a supporter of a rival club that would have taken him, at this price and for so long. For all the posters and their vitriol against anybody that dares raise this point, it is not them dipping into their pockets, is it? I hope Brett Stewart proves me wrong. I love the Snake, but I am not as sure as some of you that he will back playing enough to justify his pay cheque. Let history be the judge...

You mentioned the people dipping into their pockets Moops, well they thought he was well worth 4 years so took that option

Recent history is good enough for me

2008, full season, Premiers
2009, hardly played, 5th and disappear week 1
2010, hardly played, limped into 8th as cannon fodder
2011, close to full season, Premiers
2012, close to full season, top 4

This year, everybody had us with the favourites while he was playing, since he has been injured we have slipped back to the field

You could argue that recent history also suggest injury will be a concern, but I'll stick with the signing him up when you look at the impact on the side when he is there, risk easily worth taking

I don't think anybody is denying his worth to the team. It is one thing coming back from injury in your early 20's, but another thing entirely coming back at 28/29 with his medical condition and history of injury. 2 years on a reduced contract I would have been happy with, but 4? I just think we are looking at this thing with maroon and white glasses. As I said, the people I have spoken to who support other clubs don't understand the club's decision. There is only so much money that a club has to work with under the salary cap. Half a million is a fair percentage of it. I guess history will prove me right or wrong...and I would be more than happy to be proven wrong in this instance.

Fluffy said:
I agree with some of the above in that there is a lot of salary cap sitting on the sidelines more and more but as kiwi said recent history shows that the risk may be worth the reward as every year he plays most of it we are very close to if not winning the premiership.

There is no compromise here, we either take the risk or cut him away completely. If we cut him away we need to try and find another good fullback to fill his boots which is a risk in itself as it has no guarantees.

Personally I would have only offered 2 or 3 years on the contract.

William Hopoate, or is that a dirty word around here still?

[/quote]

Move over, Peta Hiku, the master is back.
[/quote]

I reckon Hiku should be in the team somewhere he's a busy player and rolls his sleeves up and rips in. Wolfy has been a bit quiet lately.

Last edited by a moderator:
http://www.foxsports.com.au/league/stewart-nears-manly-return/video-e6frf3ou-1226669721066?subcat=1225914677120

Video of him at training, preparing for Monday ?

Not sure, his back/posture looks a little stiff to me, might be my imagination.

tookey said:
bob dylan said:
Simple fact: Manly with Brett Stewart on the field are a massive chance of winning another Grand Final in 2013. Without him it will be a almost impossible.

That is a bit insulting to Hiku who is doing a very good job and gets better every game.

Maybe Hiku will be better than Brett by October 2013?

Not an insult to Hiku because I dont care if Brett is fullback,5/8 or hooker. Without him we will struggle big time.

Wolfpack said:
Jatz Crackers said:
globaleagle said:
Pffft, he should just man up, duct tape the injuries and get out there and run!

Why back in my day only rich people had hamstrings! I had to work 14 hours a day just to get legs!

Legs!!?!! Legs !!!?!!

Why, I had to work 25 hours each day (no lunch break) just to have these 4 stumps.

So stop ya whingin limbsy boy......sheeeeeesh !!

Woah, look here at Mister Fancy Stumps. Lording his stumps around like some kind of stumps god!

Real players do fine just rolling around with nothing but a torso. I remember back in the good old days when Grant Wooden pioneered the technique. They just don't make em like that anymore.

Ahhh is that where the torso rule came from eh?

Sterlo show said he's back Monday. Actually it was the TAB guy explaining why Manly's odds have shortened.

His mere presence draws attention away from others. All of our backs are then suddenly more dangerous with that extra split second they get when the opposition has one eye on Brett Stewart.

Darren said:
But for how long?? July now so come on Brett, let's keep us into the top 4

Prediction: he will keep starring for Manly longer than you will keep doubting him.

He should play 45 - 60 Mins of this match. A LOT of running is involved as FB. He will not be fully 'match fit'.
Also, a degree of caution re the hamstring is warranted.

This way for the time on field, he can go FULL TILT. He can play 80 mins next round. But lets face it, 2V will not think like this, he is just way too formularised. (sorry, i've probably made that word up).

SeaEagleRock8 said:
Verb 1. formularise - express as a formula
Toovey + Snake x tactics > EagleFromMay1967 ;)

Snake can pace himself, sure, but in this comp critical match, he shouldn't be doing that, and Hiku could easily do the last (or first) 20 mins.

Off topic, but i hope 2V has learnt a lesson - had a rethink - re reintroduction of injured players after long layoffs. Brett's brother is a case in point here. Reintroduced for 80mins way too early.

2V / Tactics -Coaching record <> 2013Premiers

Members online

Team P W L PD Pts
3 3 0 48 6
4 3 1 28 6
3 2 1 10 6
4 2 2 39 4
3 2 1 28 4
3 2 1 15 4
3 2 1 14 4
2 1 1 13 4
2 1 1 6 4