Buhrer

• We had an issue with background services between march 10th and 15th or there about. This meant the payment services were not linking to automatic upgrades. If you paid for premium membership and are still seeing ads please let me know and the email you used against PayPal and I cam manually verify and upgrade your account.
Buhrer is going to be a great Hooker, but needs more first grade experience playing in that position to reach his potential. I think that's what Toovey is trying to give him, so that we won't lose much if Ballin's out. At the moment he usually passes well, and runs from dummy half well. But only time will help him read the game as well as Ballin does, and make the right call when needed. I think it's hard to see this kind of stuff on TV as you can't see all the players and opportunities like you can at the game where you can really see what makes the great hookers great (counting numbers, seeing gaps, controlling tempo etc). He also needs to learn to hide his intentions a bit better as you can usually read his intentions before he makes a pass.

Thanks for the considered responses. Appreciate it!

I think a good example of Buhrer is the way he played that Newcastle game. If he didn't get knocked out, he would have likely been Man of the Match. He was going great guns until he was on the wrong end of a Mauro tackle early in the 2nd half.

Most definitely not Buhrers fault. In fact I think his inclusion has often resulted in a pick up in our intensity. There are multiple reasons for some of our second half fades, refs helping the team getting smashed, us a bit bored with the contest, teams getting blasted by their coach coming out and performing better. All these things happen.

One string that Ballin lacks in his bow is a good kick out of dummy half(although I have noticed him kicking it alot more that he did under Des).

Monas had a great one, he got us a fair few 40/20's with it. I wonder if Buhrer posses any kind of kicking game.

Masked Eagle said:
Most definitely not Buhrers fault. In fact I think his inclusion has often resulted in a pick up in our intensity. There are multiple reasons for some of our second half fades, refs helping the team getting smashed, us a bit bored with the contest, teams getting blasted by their coach coming out and performing better. All these things happen.

I'm still not getting the 'fade' talk around the traps.

We smashed the Warriors in that second half to overrun them.

We ran away with the game against Souths in the second half.

Against the Knights we had no subs for the last 35mins.

Against the Cowboys it was a tough defensive match from both sides.

Same against the Dogs.

Broncos didn't score in the 2nd half until after the siren.

Considering all these games, I'm not actually noting a definitive trend here of fade outs.

I agree totally with your assessment Hamster. You play games within the plan. If the plan is to win, then you win. We stepped up in the second half when we needed to, other than that, cruise mode was the go. No injuries, no on-reports. Play controlled footie when you're ahead.

I'll be happy if Jaime can achieve a balance like dean young did. agressive and direct when playing hooker, and workaholic when playing in the backrow.

Buhrer needs to get more minutes at hooker next year. He seems to spark our attack more than Ballin. Other than that I hope he bulks in the offseason if he intends on playing second row!

MWSE said:
Buhrer needs to get more minutes at hooker next year. He seems to spark our attack more than Ballin. Other than that I hope he bulks in the offseason if he intends on playing second row!
This quote is 100% wrong.

robbiea said:
MWSE said:

Why's that? I hope you aren't putting down much of friday nights loss to Buhrer? I think your nitpicking if you are blaming the dropped balls of Jamies dummy half passes.

robbiea said:
MWSE said:

Feel free to share your opinion. You think that his energetic runs out of dummy half are worse than Ballins? Or maybe you think he needs to slim down in order to play second row.

globaleagle said:
Rodo said:
wombatgc said:
hordernnewt said:
I'm interested in the opinions of the more intelligent football brains.

Let me know how that goes for ya? .:p

Where's TC when you need him?

He's off secretly paying players over the cap.

What cap i refuse to see one.

I read this thread before and thought it's best not to comment during the season but his fitness levels are not to my liking and needs to lose some puppy fat.

Does have talent though---next year he has to step up to another level otherwise he risks being a Mr Fix It player who changes clubs every few years.

He reminds me a bit of Kurt Gidley in so much as he looks like he's going to break tackles at any time with his leg speed but rarely does. Compare this with Tafua who threatened to break tackles for the first half of the year then suddenly exploded and was breaking tackles with monotonous regularity. Hopefully his premature elevation to State Of Origin doesn't hinder his development. I think Liam Foran would make a useful hooker with his solid defence and left footed kicking game . His long raking kicks from dummy half would be a useful addition to the side.

How can Ferris get match fitness when he plays only 20-30 minutes a week?
He's got so much talent,Tooves should release the shackles next year and play him extended minutes.
Also think Tooves should rotate our backrow during games next year giving Gift and Choc a 10/15 minute spells to keep them fresh.

Well I'm sure that with the departure of the Oxygen Thief, Buhrer can expect to play more minutes. No doubt Tooves and his assistants will be revising the playing structure accordingly.

i also don't think Buhrer coming on in the 2nd half as a hooker has helped, he's at times given away penalties in over-enthusiasm in defence when he should be adding impact, and our structure goes down the toilet cause no one seems to know what he is up to.. i think we use him as a backrower next year, and at hooker when needed or if the game is sewn up with 15 to go to give ballin a rest, otherwise Ballin will work himself into the ground for 80 minutes all year. Yes ballin is fit enough, but might help to keep to him a bit fresh.

Theres no way Buhrer sparks more attack from the team than Ballin.Just saying.I could go into his feeding low ball out the back line or his hospital passes ,or his numerous flat / forward passes .But I won't ,he is young ,plenty of time to improve..I honestly didnt see what all his big wraps were about.I would of left Ballin on for 80 most games ,I think he is by far the superior option...But truth be told ,what the f@ck would i know.....

Team P W L PD Pts
6 5 1 59 12
6 5 1 20 12
6 4 2 53 10
6 4 2 30 10
7 4 2 25 9
7 4 3 40 8
7 4 3 24 8
7 4 3 -8 8
7 4 3 -18 8
7 3 3 20 7
7 3 4 31 6