Bye Trent

• We had an issue with background services between march 10th and 15th or there about. This meant the payment services were not linking to automatic upgrades. If you paid for premium membership and are still seeing ads please let me know and the email you used against PayPal and I cam manually verify and upgrade your account.
  • We have been getting regular requests for users who have been locked out of their accounts because they have changed email adresses over the lifetime of their accounts. Please make sure the email address under your account is your current and correct email address in order to avoid this in the future. You can set your email address at https://silvertails.net/account/account-details
  • Wwe are currently experience some server issues which I am working through and hoping to resolve soon, Please bare with me whilst I work through making some changes and possible intermittent outages.
  • Apologies all our server was runing rogue. I managed to get us back to a point from 2:45 today though there is an attachment issue i will fix shortly. Things should be smooth now though
Ryan, if I can jump in on that .... the short answer is, that the blokes at the club paying your wages are not happy with the currennt situation and obviously feel that you are incapable of turning it around ... so much so that they are prepared to pay out over a million to get rid of you ...

That said, professional coaching is a complex endeavour, and many things have to come together for success to be achieved, many of those things are beyond a coaches ability to influence ...... being the best coach with the best players is not a guarantee of success ... For example the great Jack Gibson was a world beater at Parra ..... couldn't get those sharkies to win a barrier draw ....

You need a professional front office prepared to give the football dept. , ever asset and advantage at their disposal, talented and experienced support staff, a first rate roster, you need a good run with injuries, a harmonious playing group without personality conflicts or cliches, motivated depth players, a reasonable schedule, a fair run from the refs, minimum off field dramas and distradtions, probably 10 other things and a lot of luck,

having said all that, Des is a first rate coah, and is smart enough to realise coaching isn't a one man band .... at Manly he has , surrounded himself with quality help and top draw staff .... he will be able to concentrate on the big picture and the small details and let his staff handle everything in between. He has done the first thing ... prepared for success .....
Professional front office Woodsie ? Our board and office was a busket case when Des won comps .
At its peak of turmoil it was quoted as the most dysfunctional in Australian sport !
Unlike Trent, Des did not use this as a distraction or excuse .

I agree Des was smart enough to surround him self with quality people unlike Trent who disengage him self from the one and only Incomparable Immortal . Now that was dumb.
Very dumb and it is known that this was his down fall as he was lost on his own and his solo last disastrous year vindicated this

As far as the rotation of the bench goes when you are winning games as Des did there is less incentive to use the bench as far as Trent goes when you are losing games there is more incentive to use the bench and add and create some direction. Direction was not part of Trents repertoire but only excuses was

Every way you look at him . Trent was a failure. To the few that think other wise this is laughable !

Manly Sea Eagles: Inside the most dysfunctional boardroom in Australian sport
Dean Ritchie, DailyTelegraph

Last edited:
Guys, can I just reconfirm something about my stance on the coaching situation (not that it really means anything hehehe).

* I think I might be misconstruing my stance a little.

Personally, I feel we've gone from a beaten up 2016 Datsun 120B(arrett), back to a classic 2011 Bentley Twin Turbo V12 HybriD(es) in Des.

The upgrade is outstanding. I'm seriously over the moon. Barrett annoyed and frustrated the heck out of me.

The caoching staff, the support staff, the CEO, all the club's infrastructure is looking so much better.

The legacy Barrett has left behind talent wise (especially in our backline is pretty Teflon).

The reason I shelled out another half a grand plus for my season ticket is that I'm really excited and plugged in, something I wasn't when Barrett and his chronies were here.
Good post feathered friend . At the end of the day all of us are happier when Manly are winning and I am sure Des will put back the smile on our faces .

Don’t engage....you will be disappointed....
I say Engage ! Expression is what makes a forum great . Once we lose the right to express our views the forum becomes predictable it loses character, eliminates its passion and becomes boring .
Go for it !

But if as you say 'let's keep on topic' why bring Des into it?
I will point out again Des was a gold plated Winner with us and the Bullfrogs for a time. I see no justification in comparing a winner's use of the bench to a loosers use of the bench. If TB had not used his bench properly and had a winning record then good for him. He didn't so he was pushed to the side.

Finally you wrote

' and I wonder how bright some of you are ' your Honour I rest my case.

But, then again, Woodsie might ask how many premierships had Des won after 3 years? (for the record, I don't rate Barrett either...sorry Woodsie).

I am not sure what planet you live on,but you seem happy.If you think I over reacted then that is how you choose to take it.You were intending to mock Snake and if you refuse to accept that,then you are probably telling porkies.Telling me that I might die of a heart attack and then not thinking I would respond in kind......(you get what you give Bozo)Anyway,we were going back and forth and then out of the blue you try to introduce something you said to another person as part of our conversation,it is a little like arguing whether the weather is hot or cold today in Sydney and then saying that it is hot in Lebanon today,therefore it is hot today to back up your argument.I love a lot of your input and your passion Bozo,but trying to have a discussion with you is like playing chess with a pigeon....

Smokin' Joe, don't even bother. You don't even get a 'feathered friend' at the end these days...

I found Snakes post funny and I reacted in that way. What was so funny ? His quote that Trent has a lot to offer . That is the way I saw it and reacted and you over reacted as far as I am concerned . Why ? This is why ....
There is a thing called perception and you took it upon to see your self as a guru on reading peoples minds .
As far as playing chess with a pigeon you are referring to the wrong guy because I am a Sea eagle every day of the week !
Trent has a lot to offer ? Bloody hilarious and I still cant help from laughing LOL .
If you @Smokin Joe also think Trent still has a lot to offer your very very funny as well !
Seriously,I took it upon myself to be the guru in reading peoples minds?You are the guru on putting words in other peoples mouths that were never said....Did I say that I think that Trent has a lot to offer?Again,you just make something up to validate a point....

Seriously,I took it upon myself to be the guru in reading peoples minds?You are the guru on putting words in other peoples mouths that were never said....Did I say that I think that Trent has a lot to offer?Again,you just make something up to validate a point....
The point is, to me and many on here it is laughable to think Trent has a lot to offer . Trent has a lot to offer??? That is astonishing funny ! WTF LOL . You have called it a put down to the people that have this view . That is not the way I see it as every one has a different perception on things .
If I posted that the inept Lewis Brown ( no club offered him a contract ) had a lot to offer to our club would you think that was funny ? Or would you call some one that thought it was they were putting me down .That to me is not a put down . It is expressing ones view as some things are really funny !
. If you still dont get what i am trying to say then dont worry about it and have a nice day feathered friend

But if as you say 'let's keep on topic' why bring Des into it?
I will point out again Des was a gold plated Winner with us and the Bullfrogs for a time. I see no justification in comparing a winner's use of the bench to a loosers use of the bench. If TB had not used his bench properly and had a winning record then good for him. He didn't so he was pushed to the side.

Finally you wrote

' and I wonder how bright some of you are ' your Honour I rest my case.

The topic was the use of the bench ...... historical information about how Dessie uses his bench would seem relevant to most people having the discussion ..... you will also note that I was neither critical of, or supporting that usage, simply added it to the converstaion ...

How it become a confrontational issue is intriquing ..... I will only add that Des was doing it with a team roster that won 2 grandfinals in 3 years .... I don't think you can necessarily contribute a major difference in win percentage to the sole basis of bench use ....

But feel free to again exagerate this whole topic into absolute proof that the Illuminati really exist ...

Anyone else notice the total radio silence?

This time last year there was a bunch of stories about how young Crocker was training down the house.

This year nothing. I guess that’s ‘under the radar’.
Well said ....
Silence before the Storm
We will run out on to the field and freak the fckers out !

Anyone else notice the total radio silence?

This time last year there was a bunch of stories about how young Crocker was training down the house.

This year nothing. I guess that’s ‘under the radar’.
You can't have a fringe guy on a development contract out performing your superstars in training. Someone will fill the void this year, but it'll have to be someone who is a shot at a first grade spot, fits the narrative better. It'll be a winger I would suspect

Here in the UK they do a thing called dry January. You know give up on something for a month to show will power and commitment.

I'm slightly late to the party but I'm going to give up on 'Woodsie' for the rest of the month because no matter how you attempt to engauge or discuss it just doesn't work.

Hopefully February will lead to pastures new.

Have a good rest of the month.

I will add my comments to this thread, seeing as it is the most combative lately.
We are all guilty of taking the piss, tongue in cheek jabs at one another and squealing when someone gives it back to us.
However continually branding people as idiots post after post is no doubt deterring current and new members from adding their two bobs worth.
I don’t get offended, but I’m happy to joust in any spat because I don’t personally know most who come here, and I don’t get fired up over somebody disagreeing with me.
I have been on this forum and other variants since 2005ish, so I have seen a lot of good contributors leave.
My pet hate is those who think their opinion is more worthy than others because they know mods, the site owner or are in a clique.
As @BOZO says, all opinions are worthy, and we should encourage new members or those who read and do not post to get involved.
Anyway, hope you all look forward to a great season. I for one will recalibrate and show more love to you all....that is, until I get full of ink and lose my self control. I got 3 short “holidays” in 2018, so I’m aiming to reduce my handicap.
Can’t wait for kick off :)
Great post feathered friend and I hope all will share your common sense approach , your passion and as you say love to the forum !!!
As far as kick off goes my new season stared when the gardener got kicked off Brookvale oval ;)

Staff online

• Jethro
    Star Trekkin' across the universe

Members online

Latest posts

Team P W L PD Pts
10 9 1 124 20
9 7 2 72 16
9 7 2 49 16
11 7 4 59 14
9 6 3 57 14
10 6 4 -10 14