Can we beat a top 3 / 4 side?

• We had an issue with background services between march 10th and 15th or there about. This meant the payment services were not linking to automatic upgrades. If you paid for premium membership and are still seeing ads please let me know and the email you used against PayPal and I cam manually verify and upgrade your account.
Ideal opportunity against the Cows to see if Manly can . Cows seem [ and even though i have not watched them much ] a well drilled team competing for the full 80 with solid defence . Players know their expected role , Same formula as the Storm and Panthers and other top four aspirants for that matter . This is the test for Manly , that controlled and disciplined type footy , maximizing pressure and allowing for a lot more scoring opportunities . Showed some good signs against the Tiggies , have our share of game breakers , just that application and attention for the full 80

I think we need to stop talking about top four sides. This season it's the top two, and the "rest". We can beat any of the "rest" right now. None of the "rest" are genuine top four sides, including us. Usually at this stage of the season it's possible to lock in the top four. No way that's happening this season. The most consistent part of NRL Season 2022 is the inconsistency shown by all of the "rest". Take the Cowboys for example, they could just as easily lose their next three (Us, Broncos, Sharks) as win them. I think we can beat any of the "rest", and that starts this weekend at Brookie.
Go Manly.
Agree. Many people seem to place some magical quality on a team that runs 4th (amazing) over a team that runs 5th ( Pretty Good ) ....... ditto with a team that runs 8th ( decent ) over a team that runs 9th ( poor). When the difference between these teams really can just be the softness of the draw or what the whistle blowers do or who catches a bomb.

That said the Cowboys play structured co-ordinated football and their back row is excellent and I expect they'll handle us pretty comfortably if they play to previous levels. But yeah we are a punchers chance I guess if they have an off day or we lift.

Ideal opportunity against the Cows to see if Manly can . Cows seem [ and even though i have not watched them much ] a well drilled team competing for the full 80 with solid defence . Players know their expected role , Same formula as the Storm and Panthers and other top four aspirants for that matter . This is the test for Manly , that controlled and disciplined type footy , maximizing pressure and allowing for a lot more scoring opportunities . Showed some good signs against the Tiggies , have our share of game breakers , just that application and attention for the full 80
Great summary Al - I reckonCows are are far more composed team than in the past, Backing their defence to lay the platform and then digging into the contest till the opposition breaks and then a flurry of points follow.
It's been a successful Storm blueprint for decades and not putting the Cows anywhere near the Storm...but the old Cows basically just tries to score points without earning field position with a very average defensive attitude and are now competing far better, doing the tough stuff first...they now compete hard in the middle and have a great kick/chase and the defence has improved in line speed, contact and those 1% effort plays....this is a Super test and a Win would be Massive against an enthusiastic team on the up....I see a Top battle coming Friday night.

If we are to progress into the season we MUST beat the Cowboys

A Loss will be a step back on the ladder and a set back to our finals aspirations

WE need to keep winning to survive to stay alive

Take it away Winston ......

1655165342936.png

Thought they had a dodgy win against Saints, the ref gave them leg-ups and penalties at crucial times. One was a 12 point turnaround, and another was Suli being Suli standing in the defence line etc etc, dumb football by Saints, but helped by the Ref also.
yeah I agree with this actually. Ref definitely favoured Cows in that game. Saints got dudded.
They got the Manly treatment - couldn't believe it actually. Thought it couldn't happen to another team haha.
I'll be honest - I had money on the Cowboys, so i was cheering that the ref was helping them out so much :giggle:

Have you ever said anything positive about the boys? Let me see? Nope you haven't champ & you call yourself a supporter......you go out of your way to rubbish the team mate! How about a bit of positivity now & then & support.

The Troll
Is a pumpkin 🎃 head

I‘m looking forward to getting this Monkey off our back, for mine it’s crept into the players heads, we can certainly beat a top 3 or 4 side. I guess the million dollar question is why we’re not. Hopefully we can put this to bed on Friday night.

One thing that stands out for me at the moment is the sides running 1,2,3 all use 2 dummy half’s, it can’t be a coincidence that their running 1,2,3. Froggy is doing a great job, but you can’t expect him to make 40 plus tackles a match, play 80 minutes week in week out, run from DH and give crisp service. This is an area of our game and game management that we need to address or find a solution for sooner rather than later.

Robson plays such an up tempo game and gets spelled by Granville, 2 recognised 9’s, Grant and cheese both play up tempo and are both recognised 9’s, The Riff, Api and Kenny both recognised 9’s, might be a little different with Kenny being groomed to take over next year but they are still playing two 9’s and maintain high ruck speed and managing their fatigue and go forward better than sides playing a single 9.

I think we need DCE to move into DH to spell Frog for certain periods, or he’ll be cooked by seasons end, this also gives Shoe the opportunity to play extra time in the halves heading into next year. I know DCE was getting into DH a bit earlier in the year, but it’s not the same as giving Frog a spell, if DCE is not right for that role, can Walker come on and do it so we can go back to a proper forward rotation. Anyway was just thinking about the Dummy half situation and how the top teams play two 9’s, coincidence or not!

Last edited:
I‘m looking forward to getting this Monkey off our back, for mine it’s crept into the players heads, we can certainly beat a top 3 or 4 side. I guess the million dollar question is why we’re not. Hopefully we can put this to bed on Friday night.

One thing that stands out for me at the moment is the sides running 1,2,3 all use 2 dummy half’s, it can’t be a coincidence that their running 1,2,3. Froggy is doing a great job, but you can’t expect him to make 40 plus tackles a match, play 80 minutes week in week out, run from DH and give crisp service. This is an area of our game and game management that we need to address or find a solution for sooner rather than later.

Robson plays such an up tempo game and gets spelled by Granville, 2 recognised 9’s, Grant and cheese both play up tempo and are both recognised 9’s, The Riff, Api and Kenny both recognised 9’s, might be a little different with Kenny being groomed to take over next year but they are still playing two 9’s and maintain high ruck speed and managing their fatigue and go forward better than sides playing a single 9.

I think we need DCE to move into DH to spell Frog for certain periods, or he’ll be cooked by seasons end, this also gives Shoe the opportunity to play extra time in the halves heading into next year. I know DCE was getting into DH a bit earlier in the year, but it’s not the same as giving Frog a spell, if DCE is not right for that role, can Walker come on and do it so we can go back to a proper forward rotation. Anyway was just thinking about the Dummy half situation and how the top teams play two 9’s, coincidence or not!

Probably more chance of seeing Segeyaro in the 9 than DCE

I don’t think the top 3-4 sides stuff the media and fans like to trot out will have any bearing on the players. For me it’s a completely pointless stat, as it is ever changing

We flogged Parra last year when they were top 4, and the reason they didn’t finish top 4 in the end was because we flogged them twice. We flogged other teams currently in the top 4 as well

Probably more chance of seeing Segeyaro in the 9 than DCE

I don’t think the top 3-4 sides stuff the media and fans like to trot out will have any bearing on the players. For me it’s a completely pointless stat, as it is ever changing

We flogged Parra last year when they were top 4, and the reason they didn’t finish top 4 in the end was because we flogged them twice. We flogged other teams currently in the top 4 as well
I’d be happy to see us give Segy a run as our second 9, we were probably the pioneers of playing 2 9’s in the first place when we had Api and Manase playing well back in 2019, before releasing Api, we had the formula right back then without really realising it, or knowing it would be adopted by the teams that are now leading the comp.

The Cowboys haven’t had many away games this year , a cold , 6pm Friday night in front of a ( hopefully ) big crowd might be a bridge too far.

I’m having a positive week this week , Manly by 8

I’d be happy to see us give Segy a run as our second 9, we were probably the pioneers of playing 2 9’s in the first place when we had Api and Manase playing well back in 2019, before releasing Api, we had the formula right back then without really realising it, or knowing it would be adopted by the teams that are now leading the comp.
While Walker is fit, he'll be the one to fill that role you would think. Api and Manase for sure, Croker + Walker + Seggy only if Walker cops an injury.

Have you ever said anything positive about the boys? Let me see? Nope you haven't champ & you call yourself a supporter......you go out of your way to rubbish the team mate! How about a bit of positivity now & then & support.
you haven’t looked very good then have you

Manly at home after 2 wins on the trot is a damn big card to play and regardless of the outcome, expect a Red hot go...
I reckon will be a great game of footy and Manly will get it done with their Best performance of the 2022

If Dearden and Townsend outplay Foz and DCE then Foz needs to go and DCE needs to give up the captaincy and half his paycheck.

Anything can happen. As if the dogs can beat the eels for example. But I reckon we'd need a top 4 side to not be at their best given how we've gone this year.

Last season we won 50-18 and 46-18.

Both games the cowboys in front (12-0 and 6-0)

The first game we won at home, without Turbo, Garrick got one of the tries of the season single-handedly with a kick-retrieve becoming a busting full-field solo OMG-a-thon.

2nd game won away, Garrick setup the try of the year after the buzzer for a 110-metre blinder through several hands, giving Turbo a gift after his own break-15-tackles-solo-try heroics.

Long story short, Garrick to star in a big win for the Sea Eagles with the Cowboys facing serious stage-fright in the face of the bogey-team that combo'd them 96-36 last year.

Last edited:
The Cowboys are sitting very high on the ladder but I don't think they're a credible threat this year. They have had an incredibly soft draw and come up against the harder sides at fortuitous times.

If we can beat the Storm or Panthers I'll get excited.

We also did it back in 2008 with Ballin & Le’ strange.

Team P W L PD Pts
3 3 0 48 6
4 3 1 28 6
3 2 1 10 6
4 2 2 39 4
3 2 1 28 4
3 2 1 15 4
3 2 1 14 4
2 1 1 13 4
2 1 1 6 4
3 2 1 -3 4
3 1 2 0 2