Can you prove the non-existence of a god?

• We had an issue with background services between march 10th and 15th or there about. This meant the payment services were not linking to automatic upgrades. If you paid for premium membership and are still seeing ads please let me know and the email you used against PayPal and I cam manually verify and upgrade your account.
I wasn't looking for any particular answer. What I was getting at is things often appear so crazy. Even the most simple of ideas look absured until you are explained the reason why they are done. In this case its imposible to find out the reason behind it.

Many of the aboriginals couldn't get their head around people 'owning' land when the arival of white men on the shores. This isn't to say their isn't a good and valid reason, but, rather an easy example of something we don't understand having a very good reason.

Your question like, "Why would a "god" create a universe that is doomed to expire eventually?" cannot be answered. I know it seems absured. I think its a little harsh to have children starving in africa but I don't believe the creator controls these things.

People say why does our god let people starve? The answer is it doesn't. People let people starve. Thats not to say we wern't created with the ability to do diffrent.

There comes a point where the creation theory and personal responsibility become two different factors. You need to look beyond the God made man why would he kill them and more to the point of god made it possible for anything to happen. The rest is up to them.

I am not saying anything to do with "god created man"

I am saying that the theory put forth in UP's cite says that this god created an entire universe that will ultimately fail and fall in on itself.

You brought up man, wand you are now arguing against yourself

[quote author=fLIP]
A nuclear weapon is created to be destroyed. Why would we do that?

Why would a parent give birth to a child when ultimatly they will die?

It only appears to be stupid until you know the purpose.

nuclear bomb is created to destroy as well as destroy. Are you saying this "Creator" is as sick and twisted as humans and decided to create us to destroy?

seems a little nasty to me!

Why would a parent create a child that will ultimately die, well this is the closest you have come to stumping me.

but there are many answers for this

1 - To carry on their name
2 - to carry on their blood line
3 - to continue the human race

The one you want to hear, to love and to create........but is love an emotion of man, and what is love without time?
[/quote]
One may not even have a reason for having a child. But after you do have one , then you know the reason.

In a nutshell Imo you either believe that life the universe & everything sprang forth from nothing or that they were brought into being by a force more powerful than we can understand. Both beliefs require a leap of faith and neither can be proven at this time.

Btw Fluffy where did your race of superior beings come from (yet more chicken and egg)

UP I dont think it is as simple as that.

There is a 3rd camp that says "I just don't know and am unwilling to say either way.

That is the camp I am in

There is a 3rd camp that says \"I just don't know and am unwilling to say either way.

That is the camp I am in

Fence sitter :D

Do you in your heart of hearts ever think this will/could be proven one way or another ?

[quote author=Daniel]

There is a 3rd camp that says \"I just don't know and am unwilling to say either way.

That is the camp I am in

Fence sitter :D

Do you in your heart of hearts ever think this will/could be proven one way or another ?

[/quote]

yes I do believe this will be proven one day.

And there is no other option but to sit on the fence in this one, either is an extreme and takes a leap of faith that doesn't play into the way I think

There is only one way to prove there is a God and that will be when we die. If the is real then what the Bible says takes on very interesting proportions as fence-sitting or disbelief will not go down to well.

We could take the Kerry Packer defence that there is nothing there - but again I wonder if that is what he is saying now.

CW - what if there is a god but not a christian god? - your stuffed then

what if it is ala?

What if the buddhists are right?

What if cows are sacred? Id stop eating beef if i were you jsut to be sure then.

I completely agree with fluffy on that one.

Why on earth would a god give us the ability to think and act as we choose and then hold it against us when we act outside its rules.

I feels its safe to say modern religion was invented as a form of control and for those of us who are afraid of death.

Lets remember the Bible was written by humans, who know god as well as you and I. A nation of fantastic story and play writers.

I have been seeing a bit about this topic in the press. We have discussed evolution over the years but two incredibly (for me anyway) interesting things have been written about.

Firstly there was an armour plated giant of a fish that weighed in at 5000 Kgs that disappeared around the time of the disaster that befell the dinasaurs. Secondly that scientists believe that the oceans were populated by a fairly simple ecosystem prior to a giant catastrophe (either the same one above or another) that extinguished ALL life in the oceans and that a completely different ecosystem developed giving a much GREATER diversity of life forms.

This questions the notions of a single line of evolution given basic circumstances and hence what exactly causes these dramatic shifts in evolutionary trends. For man this may mean that we could have developed at any time, or we could have developed as a result of a unique set of circumstances that already existed, or it may have required some change to those existing circumstances to allow us the freedom to develop.

In my thinking the whole evolutionary process lends itself towards the thought that we probably are an accident, and if so the thought that we are linked to a higher being who deliberately set this to occur is probably unlikely.

Get your keyboards humming...

I have been seeing a bit about this topic in the press. We have discussed evolution over the years but two incredibly (for me anyway) interesting things have been written about.

Firstly there was an armour plated giant of a fish that weighed in at 5000 Kgs that disappeared around the time of the disaster that befell the dinasaurs. Secondly that scientists believe that the oceans were populated by a fairly simple ecosystem prior to a giant catastrophe (either the same one above or another) that extinguished ALL life in the oceans and that a completely different ecosystem developed giving a much GREATER diversity of life forms.

This questions the notions of a single line of evolution given basic circumstances and hence what exactly causes these dramatic shifts in evolutionary trends. For man this may mean that we could have developed at any time, or we could have developed as a result of a unique set of circumstances that already existed, or it may have required some change to those existing circumstances to allow us the freedom to develop.

In my thinking the whole evolutionary process lends itself towards the thought that we probably are an accident, and if so the thought that we are linked to a higher being who deliberately set this to occur is probably unlikely.

Get your keyboards humming...

The fish of which you refer to pre-dates dinasaurs my friend. It dissapeared long before the "dinosaurs" that you refer to,

It is believed to be one of the first animals that had both a male and a female rather than being hermaphrodites

Members online

Latest posts

Team P W L PD Pts
6 5 1 59 12
6 5 1 20 12
6 4 2 53 10
6 4 2 30 10
7 4 2 25 9
7 4 3 40 8
7 4 3 24 8
7 4 3 -8 8
7 4 3 -18 8