Canadian and International Rugby League

• We had an issue with background services between march 10th and 15th or there about. This meant the payment services were not linking to automatic upgrades. If you paid for premium membership and are still seeing ads please let me know and the email you used against PayPal and I cam manually verify and upgrade your account.
Interesting history of rugby league in France. It was THE big game until after the Second World War. De Gaulle forced the RL to hand over all their assets to RU, and the rest is history.

DSM5 said:
Interesting history of rugby league in France. It was THE big game until after the Second World War. De Gaulle forced the RL to hand over all their assets to RU, and the rest is history.

Recently made public in French National Paper.
The Irony of it the leader of the Party (Vichy government) grand daughter is behind a push for recognition for league.

From memory RL has a lot it can thank for its history :
Salford Reds - got it's nickname "Les Diablos rouge" - The Red Devils should of trademarked it (could you imagine the coin they would make of neighbours Manchestor United - they had the moniker first Man U played in green and gold and the Challenge Cup.
Easts - were originally the Tri Colours so no animal moniker, France came out in the '50s and beat all comers and they ran with the Roosters moniker.

If I could recommend a book all league fans read is The Forbidden Game - if your a union fan it'll make you feel very ordinary towards that game ie Vichy Government in France banning Rugby League in France due to French Resistance Fighters playing for RL during WW2 and forcing clubs to give up stuff to union clubs as DSM5 has suggested.
Interesting its still happening - South Africa won't recognise RL as a sport(interestingly the area that its growing in is predominately coloured area), Morroco won't let a game against BARLA play a function that grows the game.

eagles2win said:
Danny Hicks I think is signing onto play with the BC Bulldogs in Canada.

That's your local team team isn't it GE?

Yup, that's the local team. Actually it's the regional rep team. There's 5 local teams. Just find it hard supporting 'the bulldogs' though! There's a sea to sky 'eagles'! - might try them.

Also gotta feel sorry for the bc bulldogs...

BRITISH COLUMBIA RUGBY LEAGUE JOINS WITH NRL TEAM PARRAMATTA EELS TO OFFER EXPERIENCE OF A LIFE TIME
British Columbia Rugby League in Canada, are excited to announce that a great opportunity has been given to two Canadian players to gain valuable experience at Australian NRL Club Parramatta Eels.

Canada Rugby League Development Manager for British Columbia, Paul O’Keefe started negotiations when visiting Australia in January and is extremely happy to be able to give opportunities to two young players to be involved with a NRL Club like Parramatta who place a huge importance on developing young players to become the stars of the future. O’Keefe said “Firstly I would like to thank Phil Cummings and the Parramatta club for working together to give players from one of Rugby League’s fastest Developing Nations, Canada, this huge opportunity. This will allow our future star players to live and breath Rugby League for one month and compete at a much higher level than they have ever experienced. They will come back to Canada with improved skills and understanding the fitness levels required to make it to a professional level in our sport. They can also share their experiences with other young players and help us get new players involved in the great sport of Rugby League in Canada.”

Parramatta Executive Officer of Junior Rugby League, Phil Cummings, says ” We look forward to their arrival in late January and while they will get to see the skills, fitness levels and facilities of an NRL Club they will be actively participating in pre season training and hopefully some trials with a VB NSW Cup team.”

BCRL are very focused on Junior Development and this is another step in the right direction to encourage young players to play Rugby League so we have sustainable growth in our game in British Columbia, Canada. To have the opportunity to travel to Australia in the middle of our very cold winter period, is enough of a incentive to strive for selection for any young male, but to be also able to live and breath Rugby League for one month, its an experience of a lifetime!

I can't count the number of times I've suggested to those at Manly to do something like this and/or twin the club with other teams to help grow the Manly brand overseas, but nooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooo GE's obv just some forum spambot.

(actually I can count the number, tis about 4!)

If Manly don't want to head for Canada, then assisting the game in South Africa would be a good thing. Wouldn't cost much and the publicity would be gold.

Brian Smith has quit as the United States' World Cup coach, continuing a troubled build-up for the Tomahawks which has included a backlash from local players over the squad selection.

Smith tells Discord an unexpected family commitment will prevent him travelling to Europe this month. He's the second coach, after the Warriors' Matthew Elliott, to withdraw from the Tomahawks campaign.
“There's just been something come up that I really couldn't miss, unfortunately,” Smith said.

While the AMNRL casts around for another clipboard carrier, it has a mini-rebellion on its hands over the selection of so many foreign-based players.

Like fellow Cup debutants Italy, the Americans have called in as many professionals as they can muster but unlike the Azzurri, few of them are NRL or Super League first-teamers.

Penrith's Joseph Paulo is captain, Parramatta's Junior Paulo is in the squad, as are Panther Clint Newton and former Gold Coast Titan Matt Petersen.

Only three members of the squad played in the recently completed series against Canada.

http://m.smh.com.au/rugby-league/league-news/brian-smith-quits-as-usa-coach-20131003-2ux0b.html

Members online

Team P W L PD Pts
7 6 1 54 14
6 5 1 59 12
6 4 2 53 10
6 4 2 30 10
7 4 2 25 9
8 4 4 73 8
7 4 3 40 8
7 4 3 24 8
7 3 4 17 8
7 4 3 -8 8