Catch and pass, catch and pass, feet in sand

• We had an issue with background services between march 10th and 15th or there about. This meant the payment services were not linking to automatic upgrades. If you paid for premium membership and are still seeing ads please let me know and the email you used against PayPal and I cam manually verify and upgrade your account.

Dan

Kim Jong Dan
Staff member
Administrator
Tipping Member
When did someone look at our team sheet and say "oh the best thing for us, with a guy like DCE in the team, is to make him be a catch and pass pivot!"?

What we will do is we will have no real shape and no real go forward or idea what to do, then rather than having even one half that wants to take on the line, run and keep the defense moving, rather than having forwards that roll forward, get up and play the ball quickly, what we will do is have forwards that lumber toward the line, bunch a whole lot of blokes that have SFA what they are doing around the ball, plant DCE as first receiver and then just stare blankly at him whilst our feet are planted in the sand and just watch him catch and pass without moving his feet, thats a solid idea!

So it really has nothing to do with skill level, its either poor coaching, or a bunch of guys who really don't give a **** or are completely clueless and dumbfounded by the situation.

The Turbos go back to their trusty Jake to Tom inside and Tom gets smashed everytime because everyone knows to watch Tom.

It is just so tragically horrific and predictable to watch, right they are playing the ball, either Lewis Brown is going to aimlessly run from dumby-half directly at the only marker who IS onside, or we are going to pass to DCE who is either going to pass the ball immediately, kick it or maybe take 3 steps.

It's not DCE's fault either he tries and tries often, but he has nothing going on around him, the only time there looks to be spark is when he has Ferris or one of the Turbo's around him.

Parcell adds spark and I would keep him, but honestly I can't pick a decent worthy player from the rest of them, not one.

We look horrible out there in every way shape and form, nothing in attack and less in defense, and sloppy penalties that don't need to be blown. The attitude is horrible and the general game plan either gets torn up within minutes or is non-existent.

Beaver shared a great story in his book, about bozo having a fine system for players that were caught walking in the game, for every time they walked they were fined $5 or something trivial. Hoppa disputed it once and came out of the replay with an extra $20 in fines or something.

This team could benefit from that, the amount of times they walk and show weakness and show how unenthusiastic they are is atrocious, they dont run to the next play, they don't know what the next play is and they look at each other wondering WTF is going on.

Its just horrible, there is nothing that resembles a team out there, week in week out and there is nothing that I can see would make a team from the people running out each week. There is so much work that needs to be done in so many areas but I can't pick anyone who looks like they want to do the work.

For those who think Jake T should be captain, think back to the Canberra game when Turbo's try was pulled up for a forward pass.... his argument was not that it was back and he was kidding and that he owes us one now it was "Do you know how hard it is to throw that backwards?"
Yeah Jake, not up here for thinking buddy are we, you just told him you got us he did throw it forward, good job in pulling that up!

Being humble does not make you a good captain, thats not the point, not even close to the point, it helps in some situations, but this team does not need a quiet in the shadows humble leader, thats what teams of superstars need. We need a lead by example, stick a rocket up them and make superstards leader, and I don't see that in our team right now.

This was a horrible year. I wont say our worst as I remember some pretty lean and disgusting years, but this was one of the most disappointing years that I have watched, we didn't improve as the season went on, and there were few if any games I felt we could win. I give it a 1 out 10, I hope the off season is better and we name some signings that will help us move forward and become a team again, right now I don't know who we can sign to do that, because we need players in so many key positions that there may not be a way out within one off season, juniors are not the answer either. Strap yourselves in, i would say we are another 2 years from being in the finals and a good 5 or more until we get close to the pie again.

To top it off, now I have the European winter to look forward to!

I bet if you sat down every player 1-25 today and asked them each what their role in the team was that maybe five would know.
I said five because some are so clueless they would belive they knew when they didnt.

Its just horrible, there is nothing that resembles a team out there, week in week out and there is nothing that I can see would make a team from the people running out each week.
I've felt like I've been watching a team of strangers all season who (with a few exceptions) would probably like to win but at the end of the day are not too fussed when they lose.

Unless there are some serious changes all we can expect is much the same in 2017.

But it's a long way to go before kick off so who knows what the run out team will be.

But sadly there's a few that will still be there, that won't change a thing!!

If you don't have the cattle the very least you can do is learn how to tackle. If the other team isn't scoring many points your chances of winning increase by a factor of 10!

You don't need talent to be able to defend well, that's something that can be coached, but wasn't.

A smart first year coach would have addressed our appalling defensive efforts from the previous year.

If you don't have the cattle the very least you can do is learn how to tackle. If the other team isn't scoring many points your chances of winning increase by a factor of 10!

You don't need talent to be able to defend well, that's something that can be coached, but wasn't.

A smart first year coach would have addressed our appalling defensive efforts from the previous year.
Yes you can build much upon your defense.

the only times we looked led and played with some direction was when Jamie Lyon played 5/8 .... god I hope Blake Green is as good as I think he can be ... Lewis Brown was god aweful last night at centre .... DCE was like a headless chook, Parcell was disappointing but the terribly slow play the balls and crap defense that allowed their forwards so many metres certainly made the dummy half job really difficult ... can we have a real coach .... please!

Unless there are some serious changes all we can expect is much the same in 2017.

Sadly, Mark, I think there will be some serious changes for pretty much the same result. Seems like we're going to try the same "clean out" approach with the players, bring in a whole bunch of new faces with questionable ability, and hope that they'll magically gel into a decent team - and do it in a hurry. Dan's post is on the money: there ain't no quick fix to look forward to. Zorba and his millions better start spinning the "long haul" angle to keep our expectations low.

Maybe if DCE wasn't consuming so much of the salary cap we could have bought some quality to play beside him......just sayin.......

I've got a plan for 2018 I'm thinking of emailing to Kelly.

What we should do is go hard into the market over this off season and buy everyone on ridiculous overs. Force releases from other clubs all kinds of sheet.

Then next year we notify nrl we are over the cap and it was deliberate. Then we release our hooker and are all good to go hard at the 2018 premiership. 2017 can be a bonding experience for all our new recruits.

Might get on to him about that now actually.

We look horrible out there in every way shape and form, nothing in attack and less in defense, and sloppy penalties that don't need to be blown. The attitude is horrible and the general game plan either gets torn up within minutes or is non-existent.
A genuine honest question Dan, what do you think was the game plan last night because all season I have tried to work it out each game & I've come up empty. I need help to identify what it was last night please.

this team has honestly reminded me of the nsw side of the last decade..
we have some really good players, but its like they have never trained together, have no set plays, no structure at all... we look like someone has picked a bunch of guys, put em on the park for half an hour before kick off and thought "that'll do"

and I can't imagine too many top liners willing to go to a club where they get paid HALF (or less) what a nearly top liner gets

just sayin!
North Qld had this issue with Thurston. It took years for the Cap to catch up to them so they could develop / recruit complimentary players. That eventually worked for them because Thurston's contract was a stated $ value so reduced a a % over time. It won't work for us because DCE's contract is a % of the cap meaning whilst DCE is there so will the problem be there.

In saying all that I am or was a fan of the pre 2015 DCE.

I believe cherry competes really hard, you just have to look at his defence to see that he cares, but he is often first receiver and dictates the tone. Thurston cronk and even foran once in the red zone take the ball on the run like a forward does.this enables the oustside backs to stand deeper but also be moving at time of possession, thats why choc and horo scored tries. Add a decent line to this and its much easier to crash over
Its called attack for a reason and this is a large part of the reason. This is why we can not score inside the 20 as the defence has the chance to move into us rather than we confront a backpeddling defence, or creat confusion amongst them

This is not all cherrys fault by a long shot but outside players are forced to adapt to his play or over run him

He plays off cuff and is good at it but if he forced the issue with the defence he would create worries in the d line he currently does not. It is impossible to get bodies in motion, decoys etc if as you rightly point out the feet are planted

He then tries to force the advancing defence into making errors which is way harder, robs the team of time and leaves his mates flat footed and easy to smash

Honestly it would be a nightmare playing outside him. You always hear people talk about getting outside backs early ball. That is not going to happen and on the odd times they do, we go ok

Just have to look at when we do it after a kick off, spin it wide after the second tackle.

Latest posts

Team P W L PD Pts
3 3 0 48 6
3 2 1 45 4
3 2 1 28 4
3 2 1 22 4
3 2 1 15 4
3 2 1 14 4
2 1 1 13 4
3 2 1 10 4
2 1 1 6 4
3 2 1 -3 4