Cherry-Evans waterlogged rehearsal

• We had an issue with background services between march 10th and 15th or there about. This meant the payment services were not linking to automatic upgrades. If you paid for premium membership and are still seeing ads please let me know and the email you used against PayPal and I cam manually verify and upgrade your account.
  • We have been getting regular requests for users who have been locked out of their accounts because they have changed email adresses over the lifetime of their accounts. Please make sure the email address under your account is your current and correct email address in order to avoid this in the future. You can set your email address at https://silvertails.net/account/account-details
  • Wwe are currently experience some server issues which I am working through and hoping to resolve soon, Please bare with me whilst I work through making some changes and possible intermittent outages.
  • Apologies all our server was runing rogue. I managed to get us back to a point from 2:45 today though there is an attachment issue i will fix shortly. Things should be smooth now though

ellakasmar

Reserve Grader
THE AUSTRALIAN
By Will Swanton

Last week, Daly Cherry-Evans was on stage at the NRL finals launch. He spoke in eloquent yet detached tones about Manly’s prospects of upsetting Cronulla in the first week of the play-offs.

He said a lot but gave nothing away, once again behaving `like a politician in football boots.

The compere laughed at his statesmanlike attitude and said: “How very Daly Cherry-Evans of you.”

At 10.48am on Tuesday, when it was bucketing down at the Sea Eagles headquarters, one player was on the field long after training had finished. Cherry-Evans.

He grabbed balls about 30 metres from a tryline. He skipped to the right and kicked towards the in-goal, aiming for a patch of grass closest to the right sideline.

The weather got worse. Cats. Dogs. Brass monkeys. He stayed. He was drenched. Conditions were so bad you could barely see him.

He resembled the last golfer on a driving range, painstakingly going through his repetitions. Six balls finished grouped together as though he was hitting pitching wedges at a flag. The accuracy was uncanny.

The professionalism was real. That was very Daly Cherry-Evans of him.

His performance against the Sharks? Captain’s knock. He should have raised a bat at full-time.

Leading his injury-ravaged, suspension-tainted team against formidable, muscular opposition, he had the ball on a string, just as he did in the waterlogged solo rehearsal for Friday night’s sudden-death clash against South Sydney.

It’s his return to ANZ Stadium, to the scene of his toughest four-day stretch of the year, one that reduced him to tears when it was all said and done. Queensland’s 26-20 loss in the State of Origin decider was followed by the Sea Eagles’ 21-20 defeat to the Rabbitohs at Homebush.

He denied he was spooked by going back. That was very Daly Cherry-Evans of him.

“That was a tough week, a tough four days, back-to-back losses,” he said. “If you’re alluding to, am I daunted by it? Not at all. They’re experiences that I’ll never forget and lessons I’ll never forget from both those games.

“Hopefully I’m a little bit wiser and a little bit smarter for it, and hopefully I can show that this weekend.

“The best way to explain it is that it was a very emotional four days but I love my job too much to describe it as a low point. I’ve got too much appreciation for how lucky I was to even play in State of Origin, and to lead Queensland out, and to continue to lead Manly out every week.

“I genuinely have too much appreciation for my job to feel as though I have low points in life or in footy.”

Asked what lessons were learnt, he said: “Um, you’ll have to wait and see.” Very Cherry-Evans.

He downplayed the virus that forced him out of Monday’s recovery session.

Was he crook against the Sharks? Contagious? It would not have mattered.

They barely laid a hand on him. Dylan Walker reckons he gave a tremendous pre-match speech at Lottoland last Saturday night. “I’d be lying if I said I don’t think during the week about what I’m going to say,” Cherry-Evans said.

“Getting the feel for what the boys are thinking, how they’re training, what the mood is, it all comes into consideration.

“If your teammates come out and say it was a really good speech and it got them motivated, that’s really satisfying to hear as a leader. Sometimes you never know if you’re talking garbage and it goes in one ear and out the other.

“My preparations are quite clear and a pre-game speech is part of that.

“I enjoy motivating my teammates and even myself. When I’m talking, I believe what I say.”

Cherry-Evans said he had read books and listened to podcasts on the art of leadership. Asked to name what specific material he had explored, he said: “Ah, just the normal stuff.” Very Daly Cherry-Evans of him.

The tone of his next speech? It would relate to the need to reach another level. The Sea Eagles played well against the Sharks. They need to play great to beat Souths.

“It was freezing out there today,” he said after training. “It was pouring. By the sound of it, it might be good preparation for this Friday night, if the rain hangs around.

“Not a bad thing to get through a session in the wet. Just getting my kicking reps in is part of my own preparation, so I’m nice and clear that I’ve done the work during the week.

“It just becomes second nature. Kicking is so important to every side. I’ve got to make sure I play my role.

“Practising kicking is enjoyable, so I don’t mind hanging around after training.”

He trained with diligence. He spoke politely but gave little away again. Very Cherry-Evans.

Reminded that so much of the Sea Eagles’ hopes rested on his shoulders, he replied: “When you win you get praised and when you don’t, there’s the other side of it. That’s OK with me.

“I’ve got a lot of experience, a lot of clarity going into games, I’m always nice and clear what my role is and how I can get the best out of myself.

“I understand externally the stakes are higher. It’s got to be built up because it’s final footy. You guys want to call it pressure situations.

“I call it finals footy. It doesn’t daunt me. It excites me. When you get written off, it’s even better. Because when you prove ’em all wrong, it’s a pretty nice feeling.”

That last sentence was especially Daly Cherry-Evans of him.

I really can’t stand all the posters and fans whom think he is not a premier half.

I’ll watched a lot of games over the years and he’s up there with the best of the last 30 years. I think he gets compared too much to the old QLD halves whom had the luxury of a excellent team.

Everyone watched Thurston, Cronk, Lockyer put on tremendous performances in origin but i saw them all put in some very average performance over the years at club level.

DCE like all players is going to have quiet games, off games and mistake riddled games. Every player does, but he just seems to cop it on here and in the media more that others.

It’s really getting boring and bordering on pathetic.

I really can’t stand all the posters and fans whom think he is not a premier half.

I’ll watched a lot of games over the years and he’s up there with the best of the last 30 years. I think he gets compared too much to the old QLD halves whom had the luxury of a excellent team.

Everyone watched Thurston, Cronk, Lockyer put on tremendous performances in origin but i saw them all put in some very average performance over the years at club level.

DCE like all players is going to have quiet games, off games and mistake riddled games. Every player does, but he just seems to cop it on here and in the media more that others.

The question I have asked many times is , apart from Cronk, who would you replace him with?

On half time when Suli made that break but threw an undirected pass to Gazza that killed a potential try - Chez went over to him and you could see him praising the great break and run :nod:

Keppie also threw a speculator in the 2nd half and Chez led the group in telling the kiddie how good the break was and forget about the last pass :happy: (TV showed Des somewhat miffed :giggle:)

As a cohesive unit this makeshift Manly Team is as potent as any :clap:

At this stage I wouldn't take Cronk over DCE. Keary runs that team not Cronk.

Fair call.

It does get to me when there are so many people against DCE on here - Keary is pretty good, Moses appears to be on the way up and then there is Hunt...

I don't think there is a player that has copped as much cr@p from the media. Hardly gets a mention when he does something great and backpage when he struggles (i.e compare the hammering he gets v Morgan)

He is Manly, and i wouldn't swap him for any half in the comp atm nor would i when Thurston or Cronk were running around at their peak.
Cronk went from a highly successful club system to a superstar club so hard to tell how he would have gone at a club in transition and not run as well as the storm or roosters. Thurston was a good player but disliked him as he whinged when something didn't go his way, DCE just gets on with it and that is what a Manly captain is all about as you never get a leg up.

His career stalled between 15-18 but all that contract stuff and being coached by TB will do that. This yr he has been playing injured for most of the season but has been very good for us.

That article just highlights the high standards he sets for himself and has a coach that has even higher ones which lifts those around him to be their best.

Would love for him to hoist that premiership trophy over his head as Captain of our club and put a stamp on all the hard work he does on and off the field that isn't mainstream media worthy.

Daly's a champion on and off the field.

On the weekend, when the Manly players were getting back into position each time they scored, DCE went up to the guys near him and patted them on the back and encouraged them. Then when he was in position, he turned to the crowd behind the goal line and clapped us thanking us for cheering them on.

And then after the game, DCE joined the Ch 9 panel discussion for what seemed like an eternity (but was probably only 5 minutes or so). My daughter had been hoping to get his autograph. But when I saw DCE talking with Ch 9 I told her it's unlikely DCE would do a lap of honour afterwards as all his teammates had left the field and gone inside the dressing room. How wrong was I. After he was interviewed, he went around the ground touching hands with everyone on the fence line. How good was that. Shows you just how gracious DCE is and how thankful he is to the fans for our support.

The problem with DCE and the fans and media is a simple one.

His contract.....the size of it.

Because he's not only Manly's highest paid player, but one of the biggest earners in the NRL, everyone expects 5 Star performances every single week. And when he doesn't produce that no matter how much he busts his gut to get it done, he cops it from all comers.

I agree, I've seen others like Thurston, Cronk and Lockyer have very average to poor club games. I've also seen them do that in rep footy at times (remember, Qld wasn't always dominant like their baker's dozen golden run years). And as you said, they had the luxury of playing in teams that included the likes of Slater, Smith, 1nglis, Scott, Boyd, Webcke, Tate, Hodges etc etc who were at their peak. DCE as Qld captain and halfback this year had nowhere near the same quality of team mates to help him, yet they basically got to within 5 minutes of pulling off an upset series win mostly on the back of DCE's play.

How many here remember how dominant Wally Lewis was in rep footy in the 80s? Yet when he finally got to the big time in club football when Brisbane joined the NSWRL in 1988, he wasn't as dominant week in, week out. Sure his age and injuries had a bit to do with that, but being honest his form for both Brisbane and the Gold Coast was never what you would call great. It was a prime example that club football is very different to rep footy and that even the best players won't always get the job done. In rep footy there is [usually] top line quality all across the park....in club land that quality is reduced by about half for most sides, and Manly is no different even when we have our strongest 17 available which right now we don't, not even close.

Last edited:
Yep Keepit is at 1% atm.

It’s everywhere mate, even the mighty Lake Argyle ( 30 times the size of Sydney harbour ) and it the wettest area in Australia is down below 50%. They usually get about 1600 mls a year in the catchment , last year 500, this year 300.

I could honestly cop the criticism that DCE gets if his form was like that shown by say......Daruis Boyd this year. But whereas Boyd has basically been a pathetic, mere shadow of his former self, the question must be asked where would Manly be this year without DCE playing halfback?

Would Croker, Cust or LG be able to lead this rag tag team around the park and have helped lead us to playing Finals? Even with Des as coach or with the likes of the Trbojevic's, AFB, Taupau, Walker, Siro and Thommo?

Personally I'm happier that Cherry is there than I would be if he wasn't.

Staff online

• Jethro
    Star Trekkin' across the universe

Latest posts

Team P W L PD Pts
10 9 1 124 20
10 8 2 81 18
10 7 3 70 16
10 7 3 69 16
11 7 4 59 14
10 6 4 -10 14
11 6 5 107 12