Choc’s $1.2m deal under threat

• We had an issue with background services between march 10th and 15th or there about. This meant the payment services were not linking to automatic upgrades. If you paid for premium membership and are still seeing ads please let me know and the email you used against PayPal and I cam manually verify and upgrade your account.
Eagle1963 said:
What mouth is having too much to say to the media in recent weeks and i don't think he is . smart enough to come out of this with the right result.

Choc play a pretty basic game up the middle of the park these days and can be easily replaced by a player on half the amount he has been offered by Manly.

Choc would be easily replaced for half the price?
Who did you have in mind champ?

If he wants 3 years, take 400k a year for 3...

He's guaranteed 1.2 million dollars for 2 years. Injured, suspended whatever. He's guaranteed that.

1.2 million dollars. That's busting my arse on a construction site 6 days a week for 12 years and I could lose my job on Monday. No secured contacts whatsoever.

Ohhh FFS are we going to have another "Choc" megathread. He's not going anywhere it's all bulls..t. DCE isn't going anywhere , his Mrs would kill him, Foz isn't going anywhere and Snake isn't going anywhere. The only possibility in all this is we release Matai but I doubt it.

Ive told everyone before that the salary News quotes for Watmough is a lie, and twice that of what is reality.

I know that as fact.

Therefore this is more bull****. Take my word for it guys.

Yes you have, and I laugh every time I see that ridiculous amount they quote.

mickqld said:
Ohhh FFS are we going to have another "Choc" megathread. He's not going anywhere it's all bulls..t. DCE isn't going anywhere , his Mrs would kill him, Foz isn't going anywhere and Snake isn't going anywhere. The only possibility in all this is we release Matai but I doubt it.

Yep, I'll be very surprised if you're wrong.

Ryan said:
Ive told everyone before that the salary News quotes for Watmough is a lie, and twice that of what is reality.

I know that as fact.

Ryan. You are wrong
For one he has note denied it . He has had plenty of press to do it.
2 . I have checked with two people at the club who would know ,and they say it is close to what has been reported . I am sorry and I don't want to get into a blew with you but they would know.
This year you are right but next years his back end deal comes into play.

lovefooty said:
Ryan said:

I know that as fact.

Ryan. You are wrong
For one he has note denied it . He has had plenty of press to do it.
2 . I have checked with two people at the club who would know ,and they say it is close to what has been reported . I am sorry and I don't want to get into a blew with you but they would know.
This year you are right but next years his back end deal comes into play.

Wrong, sorry man. People can tell you what they like. Listen to me, not them. People will affirm my stance tomorrow. Just wait until then.

lovefooty I am going to say enough not to get people in trouble here, but enough to put this discussion to an end.

Whoever is telling you that Watmoughs contract is worth what you think it is worth is not providing you with accurate details. I can tell you there are only a handful of people who know what the contract is worth, those include, his manager, Watmough, the NRL (shubert mainly) and very few others.

The monetary value that the club itself is liable for is much lower that the numbers quoted here, the actual number is less than half, there is no backending nothing else with his contract the information in the papers is pure speculation and rubbish.

There are additional aspects to Watmoughs contract that have nothing to do with the club, namely third party agreements which are not part of the salary cap or the clubs responsibility, those contracts may end up boosting his salary for next year upwards, but I can't see it being anywhere near 1.2m based on what the club owes.

I can tell you that in this matter Ryan is 100% correct, and I wouldn't be surprised if his information comes directly from either the people paying the contract, or someone within Watmoughs management.

I know that you possibly have some friends within the club especially through your sponsorship, and your sponsorship is appreciated by all of us, it helps this mighty club stay afloat.
However none of that means that gloating about inside knowledge is ok.

Many many many things pass over my email and through direct conversations with various people either at the club, former players, players or people directly around them, the reason I get a lot of this information is that I always treat it with complete and utter confidentiality and in many cases I actually ask not to talk about certain things, simply because as I have said time and time again, I just enjoy the footy and I enjoy watching the footy, I save soap operas for my wife to watch.

Now in this case I can assure you that you have been incorrectly informed, you can argue that point all you want, Ryan's source is probably very close to or if not the same as mine, because his version of events and figures match exactly.

However whichever way you slice it, what does it really matter?

I am looking forward to a great game tomorrow and after the last few weeks of great footy and us having the chance to stretch our lead coming into the toughest stretch of the season, I would rather be discussing how good this team is going, and how well the young blokes have been doing filling in. The supposed lack of depth has been a misnomer we have talent accross the park and for years to come. I have faith in our recruitment policy and our ability to spot amazing talent at a young age, just look at the players not only in our side but others who have come through our system. Hodko and JWH to name two.

So lets put the rulers away, stop the measurements and just get on with the game

PONTIAN SEA EAGLE said:
After what i saw of him today he's not even worth half that figure.My mates & i were on the edge of our seats every time he had the ball.His ball playing, passing,was atrocious he is error ridden.

You've only just realised Watmough drops the ball a lot ?? Where have you been for the last 10 years ?

This Watmough contract thing is obviously causing some sleepless nights among the faithful.

It's always a pity with Chocs 1 or 2 errors a game. The play of the ball errors (god they infuriate me) and also the offloading in our own 20.

I'd like to say 'if he could get that out of his game....blah blah blah', but the reality is that's not going to happen. So like all players you take the good with the bad.

I think Choc has been and still is one of the best backrowers around, but how good could he be if he didn't have those errors??

I remember one day, Brookvale Oval bathed in winter afternoon sunlight, the boys with their backs to the wall on the goal line defending multiple sets of six from the opposition. Choc was at the forefront rallying the team. Hearing the sound of the impact as he hit the opposing forwards was brutal. He forced a knock on, we kept the line in tact, and went on to have a fine win.

This guy has put his body on the line for many years of top level football for the Eagles. He's measured up against the best and put his heart, soul and body on the line so many times I doubt anybody could count. I look at what he's done for this team and wonder whether any of us really have the right to criticize him. He never takes a backward step no matter how big the challenge or the opposition.

You can talk about money, but I doubt that you can say he's just there to collect a pay cheque. Nobody can perform at that level for that time just motivated by the money alone.

You can talk about him destabilizing the club but he was also one keeping the club together when Des was tearing us apart.

I don't have the inside view like other people on these forums. In my books he's paid his dues to this team many times over. If he decides to leave then I'll be disappointed/torn up but at the end of the day I won't hold it against him.

For all the people criticizing his performance today .... try going to the gym tomorrow with a torn bicep muscle and do a high intensity 80 minute work out. Then keep doing that for the next 2 months. From the sidelines or from the living room it's easy to sit back and take shots, but never question his courage, effort, dedication, or value to this team .... we all owe him and the rest of the team this much.

PONTIAN SEA EAGLE said:
After what i saw of him today he's not even worth half that figure.My mates & i were on the edge of our seats every time he had the ball.His ball playing, passing,was atrocious he is error ridden.
Choc played 80 minutes with a torn bicep , made 16 hit ups and ran 122m only Buhrer made more . He was one of the only 3 forwrds that made a break with 2 tackle breaks He made more offloads than any other forward with 3 .He never conceded a penalty and was second behind DCE (3) on errors as he and Tred made 2 each .
Looking at the stats as compared to your assesment of Choc is like looking at a Sea eagle and a Goose

Catch_20_2 said:
I remember one day, Brookvale Oval bathed in winter afternoon sunlight, the boys with their backs to the wall on the goal line defending multiple sets of six from the opposition. Choc was at the forefront rallying the team. Hearing the sound of the impact as he hit the opposing forwards was brutal. He forced a knock on, we kept the line in tact, and went on to have a fine win.

This guy has put his body on the line for many years of top level football for the Eagles. He's measured up against the best and put his heart, soul and body on the line so many times I doubt anybody could count. I look at what he's done for this team and wonder whether any of us really have the right to criticize him. He never takes a backward step no matter how big the challenge or the opposition.

You can talk about money, but I doubt that you can say he's just there to collect a pay cheque. Nobody can perform at that level for that time just motivated by the money alone.

You can talk about him destabilizing the club but he was also one keeping the club together when Des was tearing us apart.

I don't have the inside view like other people on these forums. In my books he's paid his dues to this team many times over. If he decides to leave then I'll be disappointed/torn up but at the end of the day I won't hold it against him.

For all the people criticizing his performance today .... try going to the gym tomorrow with a torn bicep muscle and do a high intensity 80 minute work out. Then keep doing that for the next 2 months. From the sidelines or from the living room it's easy to sit back and take shots, but never question his courage, effort, dedication, or value to this team .... we all owe him and the rest of the team this much.

I just want to say thank you for this post.

Yes that sums it up perfectly for mine too @marga

While I respect people's right as Manly fans, to criticise and voice concerns or frustrations, I do see the need to balance that (and give credit where it's due).

Choc is one of my all-time favourites at Manly; and we're nowhere near the same team when he's not out there.

I don't know anywhere near enough to comment or judge on contract-value. I just feel Choc and men like King and Gift (to name just a few) are priceless and you can't value what they've given and done for Manly in the last decade.

BOZO said:
PONTIAN SEA EAGLE said:
Choc played 80 minutes with a torn bicep , made 16 hit ups and ran 122m only Buhrer made more . He was one of the only 3 forwrds that made a break with 2 tackle breaks He made more offloads than any other forward with 3 .He never conceded a penalty and was second behind DCE (3) on errors as he and Tred made 2 each .
Looking at the stats as compared to your assesment of Choc is like looking at a Sea eagle and a Goose

Well said Bozo,
For someone that plays as hard as he does he's always going to make the odd error and miss a few tackles.

It's pretty easy to not make mistakes if you don't try stuff,

Yep, he does some dumb things but you know he'll be busting his gut to make amends and then some.

Ask any other supporter, coach, CEO et al and they'd all love to have Choc just the way he is.

Team P W L PD Pts
6 5 1 20 12
6 4 2 53 10
5 4 1 23 10
6 4 2 48 8
6 4 2 28 8
5 3 2 14 8
7 4 3 -18 8
6 3 2 21 7
7 3 3 20 7
7 3 4 31 6
6 3 3 16 6