Cliff Lyons

• We had an issue with background services between march 10th and 15th or there about. This meant the payment services were not linking to automatic upgrades. If you paid for premium membership and are still seeing ads please let me know and the email you used against PayPal and I cam manually verify and upgrade your account.

SeaEagle9413

Forward Pass
Would anyone here give Napper a chance at coaching our Telstra Premiership side? I reckon he would do an awesome job! He is one of the clubs legends and he seems to know the game very well.

Thoughts?

Last edited:
Cliff was apparently doing an excellent job with the Narraweena side a while back. But not sure about Cliff as a coach at a higher level. I'd like to think he would be up to coaching well but so much of his skill was innate, something that just cant be taught ....or at least I dont think it can.

I would like to think that Cliff's amazing timing ability could be taught to the next generation, but I wonder if he even knows himself how he does it. It seemed so instinctive on the field even when I first saw him playing for Norths in the centres.

There's no question the players under his supervision would be in awe and respect him greatly, given his iconic status. But would he be able to teach his skills to the next generation. I would seriously hope so.

Cliffy even if he wanted to would never get a chance to coach while ever Penn and zth own this club. You see being a board member of the football club means not being aligned with our present owners who's agenda is to shut down opposition like the football club.

Cliff surely could not do any worse than what we are seeing dished up by our team.

The game has moved on (rightly or WRONGLY) since the days when Cliffy was great. It almost seems like a different sport to the one that was played by him - late 80's - 90s' . The only credible way for this to happen would be for him to have a thorough and intense apprenticeship in the ESL or lower grade here or even be 'water boy' (I hate that term) for the current team, much in the same way that 2V did. And yes, actually doing it, in the current climate, would probably kill him.

The game has moved on (rightly or WRONGLY) since the days when Cliffy was great. It almost seems like a different sport to the one that was played by him - late 80's - 90s' . The only credible way for this to happen would be for him to have a thorough and intense apprenticeship in the ESL or lower grade here or even be 'water boy' (I hate that term) for the current team, much in the same way that 2V did. And yes, actually doing it, in the current climate, would probably kill him.
I'd love to see Cliffy involved in the next Manly revival.....

Re the game 'moving on' well 10 November 1990 was the day Cliffy played his first test for Australia and the game reached its pinnacle......the best game I have witnessed by a mile (well perhaps the 2008 GF came close :)). Very glad I recorded the whole game (and even acquired the official game day program).

some highlights (may be more out there)

the highlights don't really do it justice it was spectacular the whole way through, Cliffys try a absolute bottler!

Yep, Rugby League reached its pinnacle this day and maintained a plateau there for the next 6-7 years before the Super League cancer arrived.

but I still believe the genuine talent of the '90s could teach a thing or 2 today

I'd love to see Cliffy involved in the next Manly revival.....

Re the game 'moving on' well 10 November 1990 was the day Cliffy played his first test for Australia and the game reached its pinnacle......the best game I have witnessed by a mile (well perhaps the 2008 GF came close :)). Very glad I recorded the whole game (and even acquired the official game day program).

some highlights (may be more out there)

the highlights don't really do it justice it was spectacular the whole way through, Cliffys try a absolute bottler!

Yep, Rugby League reached its pinnacle this day and maintained a plateau there for the next 6-7 years before the Super League cancer arrived.

but I still believe the genuine talent of the '90s could teach a thing or 2 today
He is my favourite player of all time. I have never seen someone who could create something almost every time he had the ball in the opposition's 20. He was a magician.

I hope he does not coach NRL for his own sanity. I wonder if anyone has ever been successfully taught the skill of putting someone thru a gap like Cliffy or Fittler or Johns, because it seems to me almost impossible to learn. I used to love running off someone with these skills and quickly learnt who had the skill. The majority who can't do it never improve I found. Sir Cliff Lyons was the best, easily, I have seen at this. I wonder if he had any success passing on his skill?

Cliffy has huge success in coaching Narraweena Hawks A grade. No politics, just good footy.:)

http://www.foxsports.com.au/nrl/nrl...-of-nsw-cup-team/story-fn2mcuj6-1226227064135

He coached our NSW a while back in 2012 and only lasted the year. Too much for him to deal with around the actual game :(

Cliffy is the FC representative on the Franchise Board - he has the right temperament to sit through the insults of our District Club :angel:

Last edited:
Problem with coaching lower grades is you are not your own boss.

The attack and defense patterns are all dictated by the FG coach and your job is to get players ready to step up and know the plays.

You are even told which facets of a players game the FG coach wants you to work on. eg, Mateo comes back to reggies and Barrett may tell willo that he wants Mateo to concentrate on Blah blah. The reggies coach may end up with 8 different players all told to concentrate on different Blah Blahs.

Takes a certain type of character to succceed at coaching reggies and only a few go on to NRL success.

Not related but not worth a new thread.

driving through Coff's Harbour today and saw the following maroon plate.

11MW11

Surely can only mean 1 thing. Does anybody know it?

The Walker Brothers brought flair and unorthodox play to coaching with great success. I'd like to see this happen at Manly, and there was no more instinctive player than Cliff.

I hope he does not coach NRL for his own sanity. I wonder if anyone has ever been successfully taught the skill of putting someone thru a gap like Cliffy or Fittler or Johns, because it seems to me almost impossible to learn. I used to love running off someone with these skills and quickly learnt who had the skill. The majority who can't do it never improve I found. Sir Cliff Lyons was the best, easily, I have seen at this. I wonder if he had any success passing on his skill?
My only ball playing skill was cuting out useless players and passing to the gun players and following them, made me look better than i was many times.

My only ball playing skill was cuting out useless players and passing to the gun players and following them, made me look better than i was many times.
well that is a bit of a giggle, but what is funnier is how a gun player will only pass to another player in a 'gun' position, and funnier still how the really gun players manage to get themselves into the 'gun' positions, so you end up with gun players passing to gun players.....funny but that is how you win competitions......@;)@:)@:smirk:

Not related but not worth a new thread.

driving through Coff's Harbour today and saw the following maroon plate.

11MW11

Surely can only mean 1 thing. Does anybody know it?
Eleventh of the eleventh is rememberance day. Must be mourning what has happened to our club.

Cliff Lyons was a legend player the best that Manly has ever had. It would be cruel to hook him up with the pack of losers we have playing for us now days and the incompetent coaching staff and administration.

Team P W L PD Pts
3 3 0 48 6
4 3 1 28 6
3 2 1 10 6
4 2 2 39 4
3 2 1 28 4
3 2 1 15 4
3 2 1 14 4
2 1 1 13 4
2 1 1 6 4
3 2 1 -3 4
3 1 2 0 2